Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is 3 weeks away- starting to freak out a little

My gastric bypass is a little over 3 weeks away and I’m starting to get freaked out a little. I keep thinking about the foods I love that I’ll never get to enjoy again. I’m worried that food will get stuck and I’ll have to throw up or go to the hospital. I’m scared I’ll never enjoy a meal again. Are these fears logical or things I should be worrying about?

Thanks all.

Megan

It's true that your eating changes. I suspect that whether the sacrifices are worth it depends on how badly you want to get rid of your excess weight. In the long run there are very few things you can NEVER have. (Pop/carbonation?) BTW, I noticed you are from Minnesota like me. My husband had a VSG by your surgeon about 8 years ago. Nice guy and did a great job for my hubby! Good luck!

10 hours ago, MN_Meg770 said:

My gastric bypass is a little over 3 weeks away and I’m starting to get freaked out a little. I keep thinking about the foods I love that I’ll never get to enjoy again. I’m worried that food will get stuck and I’ll have to throw up or go to the hospital. I’m scared I’ll never enjoy a meal again. Are these fears logical or things I should be worrying about?

Thanks all.

Megan

It is a major life-change. The benefits are enormous, but there is a price to pay and a lot of work to do. It's normal to have cold feet at this point, most of us did. But think of it this way: Where will I be in 2 years with the surgery? vs. Where will I be in 2 years without surgery? Your choice.

11 hours ago, MN_Meg770 said:

Thanks all.

Megan

Relax! As my surgeon is fond of saying, this is one of the most routine forms of major surgery out there. Only a fraction of a percentage have problems which is statistically insignificant. There will be some foods that you may no longer like after surgery. For me, I cannot stand french fries, pizza, or soft pretzels anymore - those were some of my favorite foods. Just the thought of them is enough to make my stomach turn. I also don't like flour or wheat tortillas anymore - I just cannot digest them. I find I really crave the more nutritious of options. I haven't tried steak but I do okay with burgers and I like chicken. When you get to eating regular foods after surgery, you may be pleasantly surprised. I really like how I don't crave junk food anymore.

Mine was and is uneventful - I think we hear other stories BC quite frankly it’s probably boring hear how great it’s going v seeking advice when things are going well.

As for food— Matty is tight- things change which is great. I don’t crave foods anymore . Once you’ve established good eating habits things are great.

Other than foamies once or twice in the early weeks - nothing to write home about. Have never thrown up etc

You’ll be ok!

I'd be worried about you if you weren't freaking out, a little.

Just remember to separate your rational fears from your irrational ones.

And stop using the word NEVER.

We'll be here 24/7 365 for you.

Someone always leaves the light on, so drop by whenever you need to.

This site was an amazing find for me. Use us! Vent! Share!

Start telling yourself how wonderful things will be after your surgery. (Not immediately after your surgery or even for the first month, but eventually.)

19 hours ago, Lyngolean said:

It's true that your eating changes. I suspect that whether the sacrifices are worth it depends on how badly you want to get rid of your excess weight. In the long run there are very few things you can NEVER have. (Pop/carbonation?) BTW, I noticed you are from Minnesota like me. My husband had a VSG by your surgeon about 8 years ago. Nice guy and did a great job for my hubby! Good luck!

Thanks so much. I’m very confident in Dr. Svendsen. I just want the day to get here already. My fears are mostly getting sick as I’m phobic of throwing up.

8 hours ago, BostonWLKC said:

Mine was and is uneventful - I think we hear other stories BC quite frankly it’s probably boring hear how great it’s going v seeking advice when things are going well.

As for food— Matty is tight- things change which is great. I don’t crave foods anymore . Once you’ve established good eating habits things are great.

Other than foamies once or twice in the early weeks - nothing to write home about. Have never thrown up etc

You’ll be ok!

Thanks so much!!

What is a foamie? Sounds like I hope to never have one...

56 minutes ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

I'd be worried about you if you weren't freaking out, a little.

Just remember to separate your rational fears from your irrational ones.

And stop using the word NEVER.

We'll be here 24/7 365 for you.

Someone always leaves the light on, so drop by whenever you need to.

This site was an amazing find for me. Use us! Vent! Share!

Start telling yourself how wonderful things will be after your surgery. (Not immediately after your surgery or even for the first month, but eventually.)

Wonderful advice!! Thanks so much for the support (:

1 hour ago, Lyngolean said:

What is a foamie? Sounds like I hope to never have one...

You lucky dog! If you overeat (and it can be that one extra bite) your mouth starts to fill up with foamy spit. And fill up and fill up, etc. It makes you very nauseous, but you can't throw up, you just have to wait for it to stop. It can go on for an hour or two. Absolutely gross.

Wow. That sounds pretty horrible! I wonder what causes that!

Just now, Lyngolean said:

Wow. That sounds pretty horrible! I wonder what causes that!

The Devil!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

When I've done something my new body doesn't like, I feel a tightness in my throat and my chest hurts between my boobs. I've found the discomfort goes away as quickly as it came if I open my mouth and breathe in and out, trying to relax my chest muscles as best I can. If you have children, think childbirth and how you got through a contraction. It hurt more when you tensed up.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Say to,yourself I am a Winner, pain you are going down,forbids count, I h a be no tile for you to in