Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warning for TMI: I am on the third day of the preop liquid diet. Can only drink three Meal Replacement smoothies provided by the surgeon. I always see talk about people getting constipated form surgery and the liquid diet before it, but I'm having the opposite problem and the poop is super dark. Thank goodness that I work from home so I can run to the bathroom, but I'm scared I'm one trusted fart away from a disaster. Is this normal and what can be done about it?

Main thing: from this point forward, there is no such thing as a trusted fart. No joke. My system varies from one extreme to the other. I keep an extra pair of panties in my purse.

4 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

from this point forward, there is no such thing as a trusted fart.

This is so true! I have been both directions since surgery and I also carry a spare pair of underwear. I also keep a spare pair at the office with a spare pair of pants, just in case. I have had too many close calls to not have a back up.

Oh damn I didn't realize that would be a lifelong thing now. I will probably have to start doing the same with spare panties. Now I'm scared to go to the gym today! What if I **** all over planet fitness! :51_scream:

18 minutes ago, ShimmyShade said:

Oh damn I didn't realize that would be a lifelong thing now. I will probably have to start doing the same with spare panties. Now I'm scared to go to the gym today! What if I **** all over planet fitness! :51_scream:

It's not a problem for everyone, but you never know where you'll fall in the poop spectrum! I would definitely bring extra undies to the gym!

In case anyone is wondering on the update of this: I haven't s*** all over planet fitness yet. :lol:

1 hour ago, ShimmyShade said:

In case anyone is wondering on the update of this: I haven't s*** all over planet fitness yet. :lol:

Thanks, we appreciate that! LOL!

Not quite as much as PLANET FITNESS!

Can we take anti-diarrhea meds? This is terrifying!!

I was not aware this should be a concern of mine and now I'm terrified. :blink:

On ‎06‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, ShimmyShade said:

I haven't had this problem, but I think having a back up at work or in the car isn't a bad idea. Remember, things do finally settle down and normalize. I'm 5 months post op and I poop every morning/every other morning like clock work. And I was previously someone who could have pooped 3-4x per day before. I always had diarrhea and upset stomach. It was from all my horrendous eating. I recommend a healthy Fiber regimen, so long as you aren't currently constipated.

22 minutes ago, ElanBri said:

I was not aware this should be a concern of mine and now I'm terrified. :blink:

If it makes you feel better, I've never had a fart that I couldn't trust. Not everyone goes through this, but it's good to be leery! I do, however, have very bad gas.

I went from not being able to go at all after surgery to having the Sh**ts during my post-op liquid stage. It sucks, and I hope things settle down. I've got three more weeks of liquids. Ugh.

Are you on iron-containing Vitamins. That,could explain the dark,color, promise me on a stack,of dietician sheets , you haven't been secretly filching,the evil Oreos or something else in the chocolate family?
Tomkitten was worried one day, concerned he might,have,gastrointestinal,bleeding, should he call the Emergency,Squad? Nope,just Oreo overload, he's reformed and grown up now. Actually been pretty good reminding me to stay on the dietary straight and narrow. He knows I am fighting all the high sugar and other high carb items that whistle and try,to,the my attention at Wally World and other groceries. It's just a matter of time before,the fast food restaurants install loudspeakers to,return home to,the. But,i've my little orange earplugs, and,the knowledge I have gotten this far, not messing,up,now so CLOSE to surgery!😛