Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to over eat and gain weight 4 weeks post-op?

I had my roux-en y surgery 4 weeks ago and 10 days after surgery I lost 23 lbs. I just started really walking 3-4 miles for this past two days. I feel like i've been eating too much but haven't really gotten sick. Is it possible for me to be gaining weight or over eating??? I feel like I didn't even have the surgery. I thought if you were to eat the wrong things or even over eat than you would get sick. But I guess i've been eating okay since I never got sick. Im gaining weight and losing weight. Is that normal?

Sent from my LGL84VL using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, kota-raine said:

I had my roux-en y surgery 4 weeks ago and 10 days after surgery I lost 23 lbs. I just started really walking 3-4 miles for this past two days. I feel like i've been eating too much but haven't really gotten sick. Is it possible for me to be gaining weight or over eating??? I feel like I didn't even have the surgery. I thought if you were to eat the wrong things or even over eat than you would get sick. But I guess i've been eating okay since I never got sick. Im gaining weight and losing weight. Is that normal?

Sent from my LGL84VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Are you tracking your intake?
What's your Protein intake like?
What's your total daily calorie intake like?
What's your total daily Water intake like?

At 4 weeks, you could be hitting a stall, they happen often, but as long as you are paying attention to protein intake and are getting what the docs want you to get, if you are paying attention to your water intake and are over 64oz a day, upwards of 128oz, if your calorie intake is as low as your doctors want... and you are not losing weight yet, don't worry about it. But if you are not paying attention to anything above or tracking... then you could be ingesting too much. Just because you don't get sick, or it doens't hurt, doesn't mean it's ok. Stick to your instructions.

I am 10 weeks Post OP on Friday. I think I may also be in a stall or worse. I was at 179 lbs last Wednesday and I then went back to 182 and slowly since then I am now back to 186. What is going on? I have not changed my diet or exercise. I may not have got all of my Water in for a few days but other than that everything is the same. I am logging only about 300 net calories a day so how can I be gaining weight back? Very frustrating! I was at 228 lbs on 4/27/18 my surgery day and thought I was doing well, but something has to be wrong.

I suggest meeting with a nutritionist. You may not be eating the correct foods or portions. Also Water is critical for weight loss. Talk to your surgeon and see if he can recommend someone.

Thank you, I did see the nutritionist before my surgery, but not since. I thought I was doing great, but I guess it is time to call them. I live 2.5 hrs drive from the hospital. Also my Water intake is almost the full 64 oz would that make that much of a difference? Thank you for your advice.

46 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

I am 10 weeks Post OP on Friday. I think I may also be in a stall or worse. I was at 179 lbs last Wednesday and I then went back to 182 and slowly since then I am now back to 186. What is going on? I have not changed my diet or exercise. I may not have got all of my Water in for a few days but other than that everything is the same. I am logging only about 300 net calories a day so how can I be gaining weight back? Very frustrating! I was at 228 lbs on 4/27/18 my surgery day and thought I was doing well, but something has to be wrong.

Kevin, 300 calories a day, 10 weeks out... is pretty low. If you say too low for too long, you can actually cause your body to go into a starvation / survival mode and cause gains. Try upping your calorie count a bit. 300 is entirely too low for that far out of surgery.

33 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

Thank you, I did see the nutritionist before my surgery, but not since. I thought I was doing great, but I guess it is time to call them. I live 2.5 hrs drive from the hospital. Also my Water intake is almost the full 64 oz would that make that much of a difference? Thank you for your advice.

64 oz is the bare minimum. You want to be shooting for around 80 - 100 grams of Protein a day, and upwards (over if you can) 128 oz of Water a day.
You should also be exercising at least an hour a day in addition to whatever you do for work.

6 hours ago, Matt Z said:

You should also be exercising at least an hour a day in addition to whatever you do for work.

Not necessarily true. What you put in your mouth is crucial to weight loss, not exercise. In fact, exercise has been shown to increase one’s appetite so you should be aware of the possibility. There is not a definitive exercise requirement for bariatric post-ops. Where exercise is most helpful is for stress relief and general health, and to maintain weight loss after you reach goal.

21 hours ago, Matt Z said:

64 oz is the bare minimum. You want to be shooting for around 80 - 100 grams of Protein a day, and upwards (over if you can) 128 oz of Water a day.

I can hardly reach 64 oz of Water a day let alone a gallon. My surgical team is fine with 64 oz as a goal.

Is this 128 oz you keep recommending something that was recommended by your surgical team or a research team of some sort?

If I eat three meals a day and I am unable to drink for an hour after each meal that’s three hours I can’t drink. I find many times it is two hours before I physically feel like drinking after I eat a meal. How are you physically capable of drinking so much?

I am baffled! I’d like to drink more, I keep my water with me always but I just physically cannot drink that in one day.

I can hardly reach 64 oz of Water a day let alone a gallon. My surgical team is fine with 64 oz as a goal.
Is this 128 oz you keep recommending something that was recommended by your surgical team or a research team of some sort?
If I eat three meals a day and I am unable to drink for an hour after each meal that’s three hours I can’t drink. I find many times it is two hours before I physically feel like drinking after I eat a meal. How are you physically capable of drinking so much?
I am baffled! I’d like to drink more, I keep my Water with me always but I just physically cannot drink that in one day.
Recommend daily intake is 3.7 liters, or 125(and change oz) our bodies need more water when processing fat removal or detoxification, that's why I state that we should be getting that amount daily as our target. I follow a 30/30 rule before/after eating, haven't had an issue with intake personally.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I would definitely up your calories a bit and it should kick in your loss agin— it’s what I’ve found anyway .

Good luck to you, hang in there

Not necessarily true. What you put in your mouth is crucial to weight loss, not exercise. In fact, exercise has been shown to increase one’s appetite so you should be aware of the possibility. There is not a definitive exercise requirement for bariatric post-ops. Where exercise is most helpful is for stress relief and general health, and to maintain weight loss after you reach goal.
Exercise burns fat. There are plenty of medical reports to back this up as well as a myriad of recommended daily exercising amounts. For WLS patients, 60 mins of focused exercise is more beneficial than not. Active muscles use more fuel then sedentary muscles. And larger muscle mass needs more fuel than smaller, so, exercising has several, critical benefits to WLS patients, including building habits that support continued success and reduction in potential rebound weight gains.

My suggestions are just that, suggestions. Based on facts and research, but you all can absolutely do whatever works for your situation. Just trying to be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will let you know when this stall and weight gain stops. I have added another mile to my walks and trying to drink more Water and I had stopped the Protein Shakes because my Nut said no Protein shakes after 1 month because of my kidney disease and am restarting to drink them.

1 hour ago, Kevin M said:

Nut said no Protein shakes after 1 month because of my kidney disease and am restarting to drink them.

If you are on a lower Protein diet due to renal failure or kidney disease you need to follow the advice of your medical team and not people on the internet.

It is frustrating to not lose weight but certain diets must be followed for patients with medical problems bariatric surgery notwithstanding.

Please follow guidelines from your doctor/medical team if you are unsure. You do not want to harm your kidneys in the process.

Yes I would agree about seeking and heeding my medical team advice. I have just had a test this week and my GFR has improved from a 28 GFR to 87 which is technically out of chronic kidney disease range. To improve my kidney function is and was my main motivation for this operation. I did have a Protein Shake today to see if the added Protein helped to turn around my weight stall/regain. I am going to call my Nut on Monday and seek her advice. I did go back in my food log and look at my daily protein intake and it is averaging around 55-65g a day. It is hard to get 85g a day without at least 1 protein shake a day. I use Premier Protein shakes and they have 30g in one shake. Thanks to everyone who has gave advice and commented.