Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

Hi everyone!!!! I am 37 pounds down since surgery july 25th!! I feeel and look great( not to toot my own horn)!!!
Birthday girl pic is a month before surgery! And flowers and black dress is just this past saturday/sunday!!! And the stripes before is 2 weeks after surgery and the stripes after is last thursday! image-0.00393390655517578.thumb.jpg.19776aa676ec7c879738f7a3f14bc58c.jpg
image-0.00703334808349609.thumb.jpg.97ff68df6a9473ad92dc93dfd8d754c0.jpg
image-0.00309944152832031.thumb.jpg.64091edcc564a88b0e933c51f11b836c.jpg
image-0.0019073486328125.thumb.jpg.c93d6ec490b3d5554cb24858dc2240b9.jpg
You look great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Carbs are stressing me out. Why are vegetables so carb loaded!! Ugh!! I can’t afford having 44 carbs, when even with high Protein it’s only got 10 grams!! And I can’t eat that much... ugh.

Bright side—I was right, my stall broke. I’m finally down to 221.2 this morning. A full lb lower than when my stall started on the 12th... so it lasted almost 2 weeks.

Yogurt feels weird to eat... wth??? I have dannon light and fit Greek yogurt in the banana cream flavor. I added 1 scoop of genpro powder to it. Making it 139 calories, 42 grams of Protein, 8 grams of sugar and 10 grams of carbs.

1 hour ago, Megan Sadler said:

Carbs are stressing me out. Why are vegetables so carb loaded!! Ugh!! I can’t afford having 44 carbs, when even with high Protein it’s only got 10 grams!! And I can’t eat that much... ugh.

Bright side—I was right, my stall broke. I’m finally down to 221.2 this morning. A full lb lower than when my stall started on the 12th... so it lasted almost 2 weeks.

I hear you! But you know...Veggies have Fiber which decrement from the Carb count and reduce it by that amount. Plus they keep you REGULAR :) I've been super regular after I started my AMAZING Green smoothie for the AM.

Not sure if I posted Recipie but it's like this:

1 Cup Organic Baby Kale and Spinich Mix

1 Cup Organic Unsweet Soy milk

A dash of my Coconut Probiotic Water

1 Scoop genpro 30g Protein mix

Fresh Papaya

Frozen Blueberry OR Mango OR strawberry (I mix and match to taste) OR this AM I had Frozen Pear, Banana, Lemon, Spearmint mix

And my entire One a Day chewable Bari Vitamin with 45mg Iron (I totally don't taste it in there! So its the first time since surgery I'm able to take the whole thing!)

Ice to taste

I wind up getting about 18oz of it when it's all said and done

So I blend it all up and VIOLA! Health and vitality in a delicious nutritious drink! Getting ALL my vities for the day, it keeps me FULL and it's just brimming with goodness, gut health, and nutrition and my body is like "aaaaahhhhhhh", I actually can't wait for it and crave it! That's fiber and everything good good good for me. Yes I want to loose weight, but more so I want to gain health! So since starting, my stall broke too! 242lb today, when I was teetering on 245 (oh and by the ways, I've broke my stall by going totally Vegan too :) I did that after watching the "What the Health" documentary and getting an epiphany....(more on that in a the other thread I started), but anywho, I feel great and I have had a burst of energy, and I'm walking almost 5 miles a day and doing light weights and feeling the vitality that has eluded me for so long. And the carbs, yes I have actually upped the carbs, I have a few healthy crackers, with a flavourful hummus or cashews and I think that stoked the furnace in my favor too :)

Ellie how are you getting enough Protein, I know vegans are usually good about that but since we had wls I’m curious. How many carbs a day? How many calories? My nut wants me at 6-800 calories, 50 carbs, 64 protein, little to no sugar, low sodium and I’m feeling like it’s impossible... I’m not meeting those crazy goals. Either it’s too high in calories or too high in carbs or something. I have a vegan chili I love but it has 78 grams of carbs in 1 cup and 20 grams of protein. I’m supposed to eat 3x a day and oh yea she hasn’t gotten back to me in like 3 weeks....

I was a vegetarian before this but carbs were the main problem. I love good quality meat but I love veggies. I really want a bowl of sautéed green Beans atm

For Breakfast today I made a fresh delicious strawberry Rhubarb smoothie! Dusted off with some Nutmeg it felt like I was ushering in the Fall with all the pump and circumstances of a pie, minus the calories :). Below all pics and process!

PS: Yes, my nails are polished to reflect my love of delicious nutritious Green smoothies 😋

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

image-0.0019073486328125.jpg

image-0.00107288360595703.jpg

Lol green is my favorite color 😍 where did you get that giant thing of genpro? ? I’ve been skimping because a 30 serving little pouch cost me nearly $30 and I can’t afford that.

6 minutes ago, Megan Sadler said:

Lol green is my favorite color 😍 where did you get that giant thing of genpro?? I’ve been skimping because a 30 serving little pouch cost me nearly $30 and I can’t afford that.

Haha! So I got it from their Website: https://geneproprotein.com/ but it's been a while so I don't know if they still sell it in that format. I poked around and it seems they have cut on the packaging and it's now in a foil pack vrs big canister. May need to email them and ask whats up...

On 9/25/2018 at 1:36 PM, Megan Sadler said:

Ellie how are you getting enough Protein, I know vegans are usually good about that but since we had wls I’m curious. How many carbs a day? How many calories? My nut wants me at 6-800 calories, 50 carbs, 64 Protein, little to no sugar, low sodium and I’m feeling like it’s impossible... I’m not meeting those crazy goals. Either it’s too high in calories or too high in carbs or something. I have a vegan chili I love but it has 78 grams of carbs in 1 cup and 20 grams of protein. I’m supposed to eat 3x a day and oh yea she hasn’t gotten back to me in like 3 weeks....

Sorry for the delay in response, I used to be able to hit quote on cell phone and just respond and now I can't and I must log in each time then thread through the messages, ugh...anywho, back to your question...

So it's MUCH easier than I thought! 1 Scoop Gen Pro in Green Smoothie or coffee = 30g protein! If you use Soy Milk in your smoothie that's an EXTRA 7g protein so 37g just in the morning.

Then I like me a solid protien suppliment. So like a PureProtein Silky chocolate Bar (which totally feels like a desert treat to me) is another 21g Protein so that right there is 58g protein. I usually keep it in my purse when going out or shopping and in stressful situations (such as the British festival in Central Market yesterday where they had my favorite Chocolate covered Shortbread Cookies available to SAMPLE!!!), I take a bite to take the edge of.f

Add a NeuroProtein Water for 10 more G and you are at 68 g for the day!

Now if you do even 1 shake like Premier, you are at 98g protein!!!

but I don't always go that route. I will do humus or a Crunchy Protein Chip snack for extra 10 - 15 g protein

Sometimes for snack I'll have 5 Whole Wheat Crackers and 5 Cashews = A couple more protein grams here and there.

Then there are protein substitutes, like Meatless Meatballs, Meatless Crabcake balls, etc that are packed with protein and are a quick cook!

So most days I wind up with well over 80g protein! Like they other day I had 106 protein, 58 Net Carbs and 820calories, with 23 sugars (but all the good kind). The fiber in the fruits and veggies helps drive down my Net Carbs, cuz you can subtract those back out. But the most important part of this is that I feel like I'm nourishing my body. I mean yeah the docs would like you to be All Protein, NO Sugar etc etc, but is that sustainable? Is that good for you? And also, Megan, you are loosing weight wonderfully!!! OMG you are doing great, so I would not stress about the exact mix. For me, it's less about loosing weight and more about GAINING health and vitality, and loving and respecting my body enough to nourish and take care of it. The weight loss is a natural byproduct of that. Since yesterday another pound rolled off, but not through food punishment and starvation and a negative relationship with food that has plagued me all my life, but a vibrant positive attitude towards eating coupled with enjoying every morsel of what I eat. I am using Baritastic to track stuff...I don't particularly like tracking. You're a slave to the scale, a slave to the app (I know it's good for accountability etc), but once I am cleared for all foods...which, at this point, I'm at 5 weeks and like I said, I've kinda been doing my own research and carving out a healthy plan I can adhere to, the idea will be to ditch the incessant tracking, weighing, stressing and obsessing, and learn to listen to my body with love and compassion. I know it sounds corny, BUT...this being my 3rd rodeo and all, I know that at first, you are all into the numbers, the digits, the macro nutrients etc etc, and you can really burn yourself out on that and become sick of it, which can derail you and lead to weight gain in the end. No Bueno! A good plan is one you can stick to long term. I also know I don't want to wind up deficient and sick. Like after my Sleeve, I wounded up so Anemic and raggedy and tired, I was going in every 3 weeks for Iron infusions. Sitting there with my Elective mess along with other patients who where there for bonafide serious stuff like Chemo. I was feeling, unhealthy and demoralized. Like I had gotten the whole food thing wrong. A horrible place to be mentally and physically. Anywho, hope this helps. It's just my advice, and of course I'm not a doctor or anything. BUT I also know that I cannot fully trust a doctor or surgeon etc with MY health. The medical system is too disjointed! I cannot trust my OB completely, to them I'm just a Uterus, I cannot trust my Bariatric Surgeon competly, to him my success lies in the Scale numbrer and my health is so much more than a number etc.

So all this to say I am a firm believer in you being an informed patient that listens not only to others but to what your body is trying to tell you as well :)

On 09/26/2018 at 13:17, ellie123 said:

Sorry for the delay in response, I used to be able to hit quote on cell phone and just respond and now I can't and I must log in each time then thread through the messages, ugh...anywho, back to your question...

So it's MUCH easier than I thought! 1 Scoop Gen Pro in Green smoothie or coffee = 30g protein! If you use Soy Milk in your smoothie that's an EXTRA 7g Protein so 37g just in the morning.

Then I like me a solid protien suppliment. So like a PureProtein Silky chocolate Bar (which totally feels like a desert treat to me) is another 21g Protein so that right there is 58g protein. I usually keep it in my purse when going out or shopping and in stressful situations (such as the British festival in Central Market yesterday where they had my favorite chocolate covered Shortbread Cookies available to SAMPLE!!!), I take a bite to take the edge of.f

Add a NeuroProtein Water for 10 more G and you are at 68 g for the day!

Now if you do even 1 shake like Premier, you are at 98g protein!!!

but I don't always go that route. I will do humus or a Crunchy Protein Chip snack for extra 10 - 15 g protein

Sometimes for snack I'll have 5 Whole Wheat Crackers and 5 Cashews = A couple more protein grams here and there.

Then there are protein substitutes, like Meatless Meatballs, Meatless Crabcake balls, etc that are packed with protein and are a quick cook!

So most days I wind up with well over 80g protein! Like they other day I had 106 protein, 58 Net Carbs and 820calories, with 23 sugars (but all the good kind). The Fiber in the fruits and veggies helps drive down my Net Carbs, cuz you can subtract those back out. But the most important part of this is that I feel like I'm nourishing my body. I mean yeah the docs would like you to be All Protein, NO Sugar etc etc, but is that sustainable? Is that good for you? And also, Megan, you are loosing weight wonderfully!!! OMG you are doing great, so I would not stress about the exact mix. For me, it's less about loosing weight and more about GAINING health and vitality, and loving and respecting my body enough to nourish and take care of it. The weight loss is a natural byproduct of that. Since yesterday another pound rolled off, but not through food punishment and starvation and a negative relationship with food that has plagued me all my life, but a vibrant positive attitude towards eating coupled with enjoying every morsel of what I eat. I am using Baritastic to track stuff...I don't particularly like tracking. You're a slave to the scale, a slave to the app (I know it's good for accountability etc), but once I am cleared for all foods...which, at this point, I'm at 5 weeks and like I said, I've kinda been doing my own research and carving out a healthy plan I can adhere to, the idea will be to ditch the incessant tracking, weighing, stressing and obsessing, and learn to listen to my body with love and compassion. I know it sounds corny, BUT...this being my 3rd rodeo and all, I know that at first, you are all into the numbers, the digits, the macro nutrients etc etc, and you can really burn yourself out on that and become sick of it, which can derail you and lead to weight gain in the end. No Bueno! A good plan is one you can stick to long term. I also know I don't want to wind up deficient and sick. Like after my Sleeve, I wounded up so Anemic and raggedy and tired, I was going in every 3 weeks for Iron infusions. Sitting there with my Elective mess along with other patients who where there for bonafide serious stuff like Chemo. I was feeling, unhealthy and demoralized. Like I had gotten the whole food thing wrong. A horrible place to be mentally and physically. Anywho, hope this helps. It's just my advice, and of course I'm not a doctor or anything. BUT I also know that I cannot fully trust a doctor or surgeon etc with MY health. The medical system is too disjointed! I cannot trust my OB completely, to them I'm just a Uterus, I cannot trust my Bariatric Surgeon competly, to him my success lies in the scale numbrer and my health is so much more than a number etc.

So all this to say I am a firm believer in you being an informed patient that listens not only to others but to what your body is trying to tell you as well :)

I actually just figured out how to quote actually lol. Thank you for all that info!! My last question is about the genpro. You have a huge tub. Where did you get it? My local store sells a tiny little bag for 30 dollars. 😩

On 09/26/2018 at 18:47, Megan Sadler said:

I actually just figured out how to quote actually lol. Thank you for all that info!! My last question is about the genpro. You have a huge tub. Where did you get it? My local store sells a tiny little bag for 30 dollars. 😩
Hi @Megan Sadler ,just re-read your message you must have missed my response to you re Gen pro that I posted several days ago , it’s the post before this one. 😊

Are GENEPRO and genpro the same or different products? I just got Genepro from Bariatric Pro Store, a 60 count amount.🍯

Hearty Vegetarian Meatless meat/Chickpea/Great White Bean Coconut Punjab Curry stew!!! I initially made it for myself and wanted kids to taste. They could not believe it had no meat! Kids had it on a bed of soft fluffy Jasmine rice! I had it with a few rice grains on top as a topping lol, but we all shared a delicious nutritious hearty filling meal. Kids came back for 2nd and 3rds!!! I was hoping I would at least have one serving for another meal...nada, they lapped it all up!!!

image-0.00393390655517578.jpg

image-0.0389814376831055.jpg

On 09/27/2018 at 17:42, Frustr8 said:

Are GENEPRO and genpro the same or different products? I just got GENEPRO from Bariatric Pro Store, a 60 count amount.🍯
Yes I just keep misspelling it because my phone autocorrects it.