Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In two days it will be three weeks since surgery. I actually have had a pretty easy time. I have not had nausea and have lost 28 pounds since surgery. I am not hungry and have to remind myself to eat every three hours. The problem is the depression. There are times I am perfectly fine and other times I just want to start crying. I think about the foods I will never indulge in again (I was an emotional eater) and I get very down. Is depression typical after surgery? What do you do to help snap yourself out of the funk? I have suffered from depression various times though out my life and take Prozac, but this gets to be very overwhelming, at times. Any suggestions?

Some medications don't absorb as well in the new stomach, check with your doctor on that.

Hormones can be messed up after surgery and when fat gets released our bodies go through hormonal transitions, and that can mess with your head too. Some regret in these first few weeks is expected, hang in there.

Maybe you should seek therapy for emotional eating because you will need alternatives for dealing with stress, etc - many of us turn to exercise - walking, yoga, golf, swimming. I get out of the kitchen and go to a quiet place in my house - I might read or write in a journal - I have anxiety - and it can be a challenge. Your body is healing right now, be kind to yourself. food is fuel and not a best friend, that can be a tough realization. You will be able to indulge a little once you get to goal, so take heart and try not to see this as some fatalistic cliff.

if you have the control - big if - there is no food you can not enjoy next year but its the frequency and portion you need to worry about not if you will ever eat it again.

seek some help with emotional eating and try to build habits now that will carry you later when its easier to go off the rails.

It's perfectly understandable you're getting hit with a bundle of emotions all at once. You just permanently altered your body. This IS emotional. And you know what? I don't know anybody who's had WLS who didn't suddenly feel overwhelmed post surgery. You're going to get through this. You are not alone.

As @allwet said, there's no feed you can't enjoy again over time. Maybe you'll eat your favorites a little less or more infrequently. But rather than focus on what you've lost, focus on what you've gained. There may be new foods just waiting for you to discover & love!

Good luck!

18 hours ago, Danny S. said:

In two days it will be three weeks since surgery. I actually have had a pretty easy time. I have not had nausea and have lost 28 pounds since surgery. I am not hungry and have to remind myself to eat every three hours. The problem is the depression. There are times I am perfectly fine and other times I just want to start crying. I think about the foods I will never indulge in again (I was an emotional eater) and I get very down. Is depression typical after surgery? What do you do to help snap yourself out of the funk? I have suffered from depression various times though out my life and take Prozac, but this gets to be very overwhelming, at times. Any suggestions?

Emotional changes is a oft neglected part of the surgery conversation, esp for men. Fat stores estrogen. So when we start dumping the fat, we get flooded with estrogen. These massive changes in our hormone balance causes some odd issues, like crazy mood swings. Good news, THEY GET BETTER! Believe it or not... the Gym helps out greatly, the release of endorphins and adrenaline really do some amazing things to mood. Might not happen after 1 trip, but, honestly... I've been every day for a month now, and each time leaving, I feel downright fantastic.

18 hours ago, Danny S. said:

This is very common to go through depression after this surgery. I would discuss the possibility that you might have absorption issues with the Prozac. Also, I would enlist the help of a therapist during this time. It really helps to have someone in your corner to talk through all these changes. Even with all the good, it can be overwhelming. Take care!

Today is 3 weeks post-op for me and I know exactly what you mean!! I have been an emotional basket case, going from happy, to sad, to crying, to being mad at the world in a matter of minutes!! I almost ruined our family vacation because I was so angry and mourning all the food I couldn’t eat and was really resentful that my family was pigging out and I lashed out at them by being an emotional drag!!! I had to apologize to each and everyone of them before we all went to our separate homes!! My grandchildren was the only thing that kept me sane and blowing money in the Arcade!!! It really showed me how I have used food as a crutch and I associate it with being happy!!! Good luck to you and I hope things get better!!

Just now, stacy@5 said:

Today is 3 weeks post-op for me and I know exactly what you mean!! I have been an emotional basket case, going from happy, to sad, to crying, to being mad at the world in a matter of minutes!! I almost ruined our family vacation because I was so angry and mourning all the food I couldn’t eat and was really resentful that my family was pigging out and I lashed out at them by being an emotional drag!!! I had to apologize to each and everyone of them before we all went to our separate homes!! My grandchildren was the only thing that kept me sane and blowing money in the Arcade!!! It really showed me how I have used food as a crutch and I associate it with being happy!!! Good luck to you and I hope things get better!!

It's totally normal Stacy. There is an overflow of hormones surging through your blood stream due to the fat loss. Plus, you just had major surgery 3 weeks ago. You have dramatically changed your diet, and this will cause a range of emotions. Things will get better! I know that at 4 weeks I started working out and it helped me release a lot of emotions I was carrying around.

When you feel like this try a hobby or exercise. If you don't have a hobby try picking one up. I find getting out in nature is a great way to bring yourself some calm. When I am out in the woods or down at the creek it is so peaceful and beautiful it is like being in heaven on earth for me. I recommend finding a local nature trail or better yet a creek. Go somewhere that if you look around you see nothing but nature and spend time there. Doing something like fishing while you are out also makes it just that much better, it keeps you occupied while you are out surrounded by nature. I could spend a lifetime just at my local creek and it is the best cure for whatever my problems are. I highly recommend it.

Danny S - I am just 3 days post sleeve & have always been an emotional eater, suffered from depression & anxiety. Everything is under control with Effexor but I keep wondering when everything is going to hit the fan so to speak! I mean WHY AM I NOT RUNNING TO THE FRIDGE? Why am I not grazing? Why am I not completely depressed that I can’t just eat whatever I want anymore? I’m not working so maybe because I’m not around my coworkers & there’s no food in my house! So things seem under control. But I keep wondering when the other shoe is going to drop! Crazy? I should be grateful. I’ve lost 10 pounds since Tuesday! I guess I’m just scared about getting through these first two stages of diet - two weeks - until Ivan eat real food again. Good luck to you!

@ Ernie55 this May be the forum you were looking for, it's only a few months old.