Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post-op & having an emotional day

Hi everyone. I had my VSG on 5/25. I’ve had a pretty smooth recovery so far. I am staying with my parents while I recover and my mom checks on my cat at my house every other day to make sure she’s alright.

Today when I woke up I felt really good. I sat outside on the deck with my parents’ dog for a little bit in the morning and I felt so happy. But later this afternoon I started thinking about how much I missed my cat and feeling guilty that I haven’t been home for a few days and I started crying out of nowhere.

This led to an argument with my mom because she told me I was “acting like a third grader” and well, when you’re upset about something, being told that isn’t exactly comforting.

I’m just wondering if it’s normal to feel emotional like this so soon after surgery. And I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for reading.

I am so sorry you are feeling like this. My understanding is that it is common to feel up and down like that after surgery. It is normal to feel this way. Hang in there and it will get better.

I am so sorry you are feeling like this. My understanding is that it is common to feel up and down like that after surgery. It is normal to feel this way. Hang in there and it will get better.

Thank you. I’m glad it’s normal. Being around my mom when she’s not feeling very sympathetic doesn’t help. I called my dad because I was upset and he told me not to worry about her.

Sorry you’re feeling down. I’ve had times of feeling the same and more than one argument with family since getting the sleeve a week ago, so don’t feel alone. You’re feelings are all valid, of course you miss your cat and are sad. Crying is allowed. And you’re not acting like a third grader. You’re acting like someone who has gone through something pretty big, is adjusting to a new life, is missing home and a beloved pet. Big hugs to you.

I had absolutely awful depression from day 4-6 post-op. Being stuck without being able to drive made me feel so trapped and upset. I was also staying with my mom and although she was kind instead of insulting me (not cool, snoozingcat's mom!) it didn't help. I had my cats with me at her house but couldn't pick them up or really cuddle them because they wanted to stand on my belly which wasn't possible. It made me so sad to see them and want them but not be able to have them. I also missed my husband and my house and I just wanted out of there! I ended up going home a week ahead of schedule and I've been really happy with my decision. All of that to say, you are so not alone, and you are not acting like a third-grader. I do think it's normal to get depressed shortly after surgery, so do the best that you can until you can get home to snuggle with your baby!

Eyes on the prize! Soon you'll be chilling with your cat again and feeling fabulous on top of it!

Sorry you’re feeling down. I’ve had times of feeling the same and more than one argument with family since getting the sleeve a week ago, so don’t feel alone. You’re feelings are all valid, of course you miss your cat and are sad. Crying is allowed. And you’re not acting like a third grader. You’re acting like someone who has gone through something pretty big, is adjusting to a new life, is missing home and a beloved pet. Big hugs to you.

Thank you so much. [emoji173]️ This made me feel a lot better.

I had absolutely awful depression from day 4-6 post-op. Being stuck without being able to drive made me feel so trapped and upset. I was also staying with my mom and although she was kind instead of insulting me (not cool, snoozingcat's mom!) it didn't help. I had my cats with me at her house but couldn't pick them up or really cuddle them because they wanted to stand on my belly which wasn't possible. It made me so sad to see them and want them but not be able to have them. I also missed my husband and my house and I just wanted out of there! I ended up going home a week ahead of schedule and I've been really happy with my decision. All of that to say, you are so not alone, and you are not acting like a third-grader. I do think it's normal to get depressed shortly after surgery, so do the best that you can until you can get home to snuggle with your baby!

Yeah, I’ve been feeling really weird not having my car and being able to drive. I know I shouldn’t drive because what if I got in an accident and injured my new stomach, of course. I think once I’m done with my Lovenox injections I will go back to my own house. Thanks for your kind words [emoji177]

This is caused by hormones. Unfortunately you may have many days that are like roller coaster rides. Hang in there and realize that it is all due to hormonal changes going on within your body.

Soon you are going to be very happy that you made such a wise decision. ;)

This is caused by hormones. Unfortunately you may have many days that are like roller coaster rides. Hang in there and realize that it is all due to hormonal changes going on within your body.
Soon you are going to be very happy that you made such a wise decision. [emoji6]

Thank you so much. Tomorrow is a new day. :)