Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody in South Jersey

Hi Cpudoc6,

I am not banded yet, but I am using Dr. Samuel Wasser of the South Jersey Bariatrics located in Willingboro, NJ. Check out there website at South Jersey Bariatrics Website. Dr. Wasser and his team have been wonderful so far. I am in the process of waiting to see if my insurance will cover the operation. Wish me luck!! Please contact me if you need anything else.

I live in South Jersey (20 minutes from Cherry Hill) as well, and decided to go with Dr. Vishal Mehta in New Brunswick (Mehta Bariatric Center). His office staff is amazing, and he has a great free monthly support group. He has also never had a patient mortality in lap band or bypass for that matter (at least as of my date of surgery 9/10/2007). I highly recommend him, he's well worth the drive.

-Leena

I didn't use Dr. Goldstein because I had already chosen a doctor, who actually was very good but he is a general surgeon and doesn't have all the support stuff afterwards. I hear great things about Dr. Goldstein. His office is in Voorhees, but does surgery in Virtua, Marlton - not too far from you. Also a Dr. Patel in AC has a great reputation. I know a few from him and they all love him. My doc is Dr. Manigat in Voorhees and he did an excellent job, but like I said, he doesn't just do bariatric surgerys so if you want all the glitz and glam from a center, I wouldn't use him. But he did great for me. Good Luck

I highly suggest going with a board certified Bariatric Surgeon for your surgery. One who is trained in bariatrics is going to be much different than a general surgeon. Mine had a fellowship in Bariatrics, an additional year of Bariatric specific training. Afterall it's your body, and you should go with one of the best in the field instead of the one closest to your house. Dr. Mehta has performed over 700 weight loss surgeries ( I think it's closer to 1000 now).

Bariatrics has become an area of big money for surgeons, so you'll find general surgeons, vascular surgeons and other ones. Please research your doctors and know who exactly is operating on you. Afterall they only get one chance to do it.

Others have gone to Mexico and had excellent well trained and experienced surgeons. The downside is the flight from NJ to Mexico and doing it post-op. Closer to home NYU has a great Bariatric team.

Just some things for you to think about.

-Leena

I also am in South Jersey but because of lower BMI without comorbidities I am traveling to Mexico in December. Thankfully there is a Fill Center USA in Mt Laurel so fills won't be an issue.

I cannot wait to start this journey!:whoo:

Just got banded Monday by Dr. Onopchenko from Atlanticare Regional Medical Center (Atlantic City) Great program!! Lots of pre op support they have you go through a Pre Op "Boot Camp". Nutrition Visits are required pre op and post op. Support Groups are there too. Great program.

I just want to clarify something about my surgeon that i have recommended early, he is certified in bariatrics and he is certified as a Lap Band Surgeon. You cannot perform Lap Band without being certified first. He is an excellent surgeon and he has been one for over 30 years. He has an excellent surgical background. My surgery went without complications and pain. My incisions are small and healed nicely. He may not have performed 700 surgeries, but he has performed enough for me to have confidence in recommending him. I did not pick him because he was close by, I picked him because of credentials and recommendations as well. The other doctors I have recommended are by the same standards but because this is what they do, they do have the "glitzy" programs. My doc offers the same, but not with all the bells and whistles because he is a small office and not in some fancy center. Not that I have a problem with that either, but it isn't necessary for a successful surgery. I also had my surgery done at our Lady of Lourdes hospital which is rated high for general surgery. All this information about docs and hospital ratings can be found on the internet in the State of NJ. He is Board Certified and has continuous education with a thousand initials after his name. My point - is find a doctor you are comfortable with, the ones that are recommended are excellent choices and I don't believe you would go wrong with any of them. But dont judge another's doctor if you have not used them and do not have the credentials or history to judge. Give an opinion about your doc or another you may have heard of. Good Luck with your decision. This has been a great experience for me and I wish you all well and hope that yours is as good as mine has been.

Hi Jersey girls,

I am from Runnemede, but moved to Phila 8 yrs ago. I went to Jeanes hospital, and they have a fantastic program. All kinds of support. the best decision i have ever made!!!!!!!!!

You cannot perform Lap Band without being certified first.

That's actually not true. You have to go through the "fellowship" for Inamed to give you a reference, but you can purchase the band if you are a board certified surgeon. There have even been bands for sale on Ebay. I live in Chicago and there are several doctors here that do banding, but Inamed has never heard of them, so there is no way they have been "certified". ~Mandy

Hi Cpudoc6,

I am not banded yet, but I am using Dr. Samuel Wasser of the South Jersey Bariatrics located in Willingboro, NJ. Check out there website at South Jersey Bariatrics Website. Dr. Wasser and his team have been wonderful so far. I am in the process of waiting to see if my insurance will cover the operation. Wish me luck!! Please contact me if you need anything else.

Thank you to all that took the time to answer, I decided to go with SJ Bariatrics. My first appointment is next week. :clap2:

Thanks again,

Ron

I live in AC area but couldn't go to Dr. Patel or Dr. "O" because they work out of AtlantiCare which doesn't take my insurance, Aetna. I had my band done by Dr. Manigat in Voorhees. He is a terrific surgeon and his program did get me approved, although it is often hard to get who you need to talk to on the phone and they don't always call you back. They have no voice mail and they had an email address but they don't use it. That said, I was very happy with my surgery on 10/18 and am going for my first fill on 11/27.

Lori