Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can We Eat Hotdogs???

I know that most band doctors say no hotdogs, right? But are they talkin' meat, bun and all? One of my favorite meals is a turkey hotdog cut into pieces and dipped into mustard or hot mustard. (I am not a huge fan of bread so that will not be a problem at all for me) Will this be ok after I have my band? I also love slaw, anyone have a problem with cabbage? I would love to have a list of no-no's, and common problem foods. If anyone has one can I have a copy of it?

I am still new to this whole process, but it looks like my insurance may cover my surgery. ~Mandy

Hi Mandy,

If you read over this and other threads about foods you'll see that people really have different experiences. The last couple of days I've eaten bratwurst for dinner with gusto. I skin them but the meat inside is very easy to eat.

Cabbage is also not a problem for me, like salad in general, though some people say they can't handle it at all. You'll really just have to wait and see what your banded body likes and doesn't like.

Congratulations on being one of the lucky insured!! :)

I know that most band doctors say no hotdogs, right? But are they talkin' meat, bun and all? One of my favorite meals is a turkey hotdog cut into pieces and dipped into mustard or hot mustard. (I am not a huge fan of bread so that will not be a problem at all for me) Will this be ok after I have my band? I also love slaw, anyone have a problem with cabbage? I would love to have a list of no-no's, and common problem foods. If anyone has one can I have a copy of it?

I am still new to this whole process, but it looks like my insurance may cover my surgery. ~Mandy

Mandy, everyone is different. You may or may not be able to eat a turkey hotdog after banding, it mostly has to do with the skin.

And coleslaw is one of my no-no's. Everytime I eat cabbage, it gives me poblems - even when its chewed well :)

I guess nowadays the only hot dog I have a real hankering for would be a Sabrette's Hot dog (New York) and since I don't plan on visiting N.Y. for a while I guess it'll have to wait.

I plan on having a crawfish boil in 2 months - I guess I'll skip the sausage!

Paula, I've tried coleslaw twice since banding and it didn't settle well at all. It must be the cabbage, ummm cooked cabbage sounds good though.

I can eat hot dog skin and all. I just have to chew chew chew really well. The no bun is a huge thing for me. I cut up the hot dog and dip in dijon mustard. YUM YUM!!

Cabbage only if cooked to oblivion. I can't do cole slaw. Salads are something that just now I am able to eat but have to chew really well and the lettuce has to be cut into strips. I can't do spinach leaves at all. Bummer cause I love spinach leaves in my salads. I can do spinach cooked though. But that gets rid of lots of nutrients. SIGH!!

Trial and error sometimes is what you have to do with the band. Small bites, chew really well, and take your time. Nothing worse that PBing on a hot dog. Did that at a Dodger's game. HURT like the devil.

I had some coleslaw a few days ago and it was fine - but I my jaw got tired from chewing everything down to the molecular level.

Thanks for the great info. I have searched for several things here. I asked about the turkey hotdogs because someone mentioned that they were eating them but shouldnt be. Is that because they are bad for you or bad for the band? I eat organic lowfat turkey hotdogs, they have 8 grams of Protein per dog, and are low in sodium.. I guess the mustard counteracts the sodium though huh? I am already pretty fat and salt consious. My husvand has a major family of high blood pressure, and I am forever trying to limit fat in my diet. I have an almost 4 year old and I don't want to give her an unhealthy impression that dieting is a way of life. I want her to be healthy and have a good body image. That is my main reason for looking into the band, I have a wonderful daughter to live for and I want to live healthy and happy, and not watch her grow up but be hands on in the process. ~Mandy

That is one thing I dearly miss....Coney dog from Sonic with chili cheese and onions yum.

I too can no longer eat them, but, a solution for ya maybe. There is a Polish/kealbasa(sp) that comes skinless. (I think it is Echrich-sp) but, I am not sure. I tried one of those once and had no problems at all. And it gave me that salty taste I was looking for. I too agree I think it is the skin more than the meat.

My oldest daughter's name is Mandi. Love that name. Anyway, I think the reason we should actually steer clear of hot dogs is the fat content. That would be the only reason I can see. Hot dogs don't "harm" the band in any way. Well, unless you don't chew it well enough and you PB which can lead to slippage. But just eating a hot dog will not harm the band.

Thanks for the great info. I have searched for several things here. I asked about the turkey hotdogs because someone mentioned that they were eating them but shouldnt be. Is that because they are bad for you or bad for the band? I eat organic lowfat turkey hotdogs, they have 8 grams of Protein per dog, and are low in sodium.. I guess the mustard counteracts the sodium though huh? I am already pretty fat and salt consious. My husvand has a major family of high blood pressure, and I am forever trying to limit fat in my diet. I have an almost 4 year old and I don't want to give her an unhealthy impression that dieting is a way of life. I want her to be healthy and have a good body image. That is my main reason for looking into the band, I have a wonderful daughter to live for and I want to live healthy and happy, and not watch her grow up but be hands on in the process. ~Mandy

Oh how I wish I would have found this thread yesterday. I was banded two years ago and thought I had most of my "what not to eat" foods worked out. Well, not so much - had a hot dog last night and WOW! I was up most of the night PB'ing. I finally got it out this morning and will NEVER eat another one again. Who would have thought that a piece of outer skin less than a half of an inch could cause so much pain and agony.

I can eat hot dogs with no problem. I just cut them up the same as I do for my daughter, in very small pieces. Hope I don't jinx myself!

no hot dogs for me, puke every time

The exact same thing can happen to people whether they have the band or not. Hot dogs choke a ton of people every year and are not recommended for young kids...that being said...chew your dang food, people!