Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm an idiot. I did all pre-op testing a few weeks ago and passed everything including nicotine. Problem is work stressed me out today and i had a cigarette and i have surgery in a few days 5/10. Do they test for nicotine day of surgery? Ugh I'm so disgusted with myself. Should i just cancel?

They warned us that this would be tested and the surgery could be cancelled, but they only ran a blood type test on me the day before surgery during me pre-op. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I'm an idiot. I did all pre-op testing a few weeks ago and passed everything including nicotine. Problem is work stressed me out today and i had a cigarette and i have surgery in a few days 5/10. Do they test for nicotine day of surgery? Ugh I'm so disgusted with myself. Should i just cancel?

I apologize if this seems harsh. It seems like you keep trying to find reasons to cancel. First it was the coworkers intervention and now its nicotine. You have to make it up in your mind that this is the best decision for you... if it is, do what's necessary and make it happen.

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 230
GW: 165

29 minutes ago, browneyez42 said:

I apologize if this seems harsh. It seems like you keep trying to find reasons to cancel. First it was the coworkers intervention and now its nicotine. You have to make it up in your mind that this is the best decision for you... if it is, do what's necessary and make it happen.

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 230
GW: 165

Not harsh at all. Thanks

They tested me a couple weeks out but not day of surgery.

Do they tend to test that for everyone? or only for admitted smokers?

7 hours ago, laurileet said:

Do they tend to test that for everyone? or only for admitted smokers?

In my program, on your first appointment they ran labs that checked for all kinds of things (one which was nicotine). I am not a smoker and so obviously I did not test positive. They claimed that they would run labs again at your pre-op, but maybe because I didn't test positive the first time they did not and only did a blood type screen in case of need for a transfusion. Good question.. They did warn us sternly at the seminar that you would be cancelled if they found it in your system (pre-op).

I’m May 10 too and they don’t test at all unless use is suspected. I went to nicotine free vaping and they have no problem with that.

HW: 311
CW: 257
SW: We’ll see on May 10!
First goal weight: 191 lbs
Second goal weight: 159 lbs
Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, Chickensoup said:

They will test along with all the other pre-op labs. Guaranteed they won't the morning of surgery. They have too many other things to get you ready for surgery. That being said, I hope it was only 1 cigarette, because you don't want to have to go through withdrawal while fighting the struggle of surgery. Not to mention, 1 cigarette will be out of your system within 24 hours, drink lots of Water.