Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you an unguided grazer?

Ok so during my pre-op nut visits they asked me this question.

I said yes immediately!

Meaning you don't plan your meals.

You just grab whatever is available.

Now that I am banded this is much more important!

I came home from the hospital with my daughter.

My mom and sister made tacos.

So I grabbed some of the left over taco meat and tried to chew it.

Well guess what it?

It didn't go down.

So there I am waiting impatiently for it to go down.

It was not much at all but it took an hour to pass.

I did take a sip of soda and that helped a little.

I must have been nervous because I don't llike pop at all!

I was so scared I would slim or pb as you guys say.

I have never done either one.

I was so hungry too!

After it passed I sipped on some chicken and noodle broth.< /p>

It made my throat a little soar.

I have a a very bad cold as well.

I'm a little confused...the day you came home from the hospital you ate taco meat and drank soda? Maybe I misread it. Anywhoo...if that's true, take it easy sister ;)

Hope your cold goes away and you feel better soon :)

Well the thing I have noticed is when I first got banded, I lived by the rules 100%, and as time went on.....before I even relized it, I became a grazer. It was when the scales stalled for 3 months that I took a good hard look at my eating paterns and realized, 1) I wasn't planning my meals like I did when I was successful (if you don't plan to succeed, you plan to fail) 2) I was taking in way too many liquid calories (drinking starbucks way too much) 3) I was eating when I wasn't hungry (grazing on food just because it was there).

So, I think many of us bandsters think we got this down, when months go by and we realize we've slipped back into our old habits. At least, thats what happened to me.

The great news is, I've realized this, and I'm back to following the rules!!! And, back to losing again!

Hey LaWanda--

First of all let me say I hope your DD is doing well, and if you ever need to vent, or feel the need to ask for extra prayers---do so! I will say one for her...and for you for added strength as YOU deal with your childs illness.

There are 2 things that might have made the meat an issue. #1. Stress from the obvious, DD+chemo. Would stress ANY Mom. ((hugs)) And #2. Could be the cold. When you have lots of mucus, it is similar to us sliming, it fills the belly, and there is just not a lot of room. Plus fever can cause you to swell---so anytime you feel sick, it makes eating a whole new adventure!!!

When I am sick is about the only time meat bothers me....of course as you say chew it really well!

Take care---please keep us posted on your DD's condition.

Kat

Hi Jessica, I am so sorry that your daughter is fighting lukemia, I will think of her and offer up a prayer.As Kat said, if you ever need to vent we will all be here for you. I hope that she is responding well to the treatment, and I will keep her in my thoughts.

On the unguided grazer I LOVE that phrase!! That sums up my eating habits totally, I have been soooooo good since I had my band, planning meals etc but it is HARD!!! Of all the things that worry me/ could be my downfall that is the one!

Nina x

I have never got anything stuck, so I cant help there, hope that you feel better now though.

NIna x

Thanks guys for the prayers and support.

It has not been easy for my daughter.

She is in remission and taking the chemo just fine.

You know the cold could possibly be why I can't eat the meat.< /p>

Today I have been on soft and liquids.< /p>

This drainage is serious!

I have asthma,allergies and major sinus!

Thanks for the advice!

Oh gosh! I'm so sorry you're daughter is fighting leukemia. Like others have said, we're here for you!

Yeah, I WAS an unguided grazer...for sure! Before I was banded and even somewhat after until I got good restriction. Now it's not so much of an issue. Eating takes so much effort now, I don't graze too much.

Today I was just thinking how much has changed in the last 5 months, since being banded (June 1). I am AMAZED at the new habits I've formed...good habits! Small bites, eating slowly, chewing well, making good food choices. The band has really helped to bridle my bad habits!

I was also going to tell you, if you post something and then get no responses, bump it....even if you just go in and type ??????????????...something to bring it back up. Often times, it slows down when everyone is at work---or someone will post in the same category, and yours gets buried.

If I sound like I speak from experience----I am!!! Sometimes it gets hits right away, other times no one sees it, so it has to be brought to the top again.

Worst case scenario and there are still no responses---PM me, there are a bunch of us regulars who I know you can send a question to and we won't mind. I KNOW I don't---anytime!

SOOOOO glad to hear your DD is in remission!!

I just got my second cancer diagnosis. I made it 4 years cancer free. This time it is minor in the overall scheme of things, and if you have to have cancer I got one of the good ones to get! My thyroid....it is being removed on the 16th. Nothing compared to what your DD is going through, but to hear good stories, always bolsters my spirits!!!

I would be willing to bet the drainage is messing with your band---it does mine when I get a cold. Hang in there---spit when you can as opposed to swallowing, no matter how gross it is!

Kat

i needed this post so much.

first of all, let me say that your daughter will be in my prayers. it is not something that i can personally relate too, but any time one of our children is faced with something that we can't "fix" for them, the emotional roller coaster is tremendous.

i needed this thread, because i do not have much "common sense"..lol duh..if i planned my meal, i probably would have much, much less trouble following the doctor's orders.

the other day, i'm in the take out line for wendy's and the thought that they may be out of their chili crossed my mind..i almost freaked. i realized then, that i had no back up plan and would have eaten a potato instead..bad choice. lol..luckily they had chilli.

thank you for posting this. i'm definately an unguided grazer. that is my biggest downfall. i hate planning meals, because i hate cooking.

luckily tonight my meatloaf is in the oven, mashed potatoes and green Beans are cooking. this is the second time that i have cooked since surgery, and this is the first time it was for myself.

Thanks kat,musicalmama, bandster!

Venting helps and crying is even better at times.

Actually I walk alot to relieve alot of tension as well.

Actually seeing her do better has kept me afloat most days.

She's losing some hair but her spirits are still up!

This is a 2 and half year chemotherapy she has to undergo.

She 11 now so at 13 she should be done.

She was just diagnosed in june with all leukemia.

It's one of the most kinds in children with an 90 percent cure rate.

We are blessed that it was caugh so early.

Life hasn't been easy but we have to stay strong!

Kat I'm keeping you in my prayers as well.

Cancer is awful and has no name on it.

I have to get hold of my unguided grazing.

It's not bad foods but just not complete meals because most times I'm on the go!

I'm still losing even though I do this sometimes.

I'll even grab a skim milk just to have something in my system.

I think that sometimes I'm not even hungry it's just the fact that it's there and out of habit you have to taste it!

Have you guys noticed that since you have been banded more people offer you more food than before?

Ok maybe it's just me! Ha!

I just told Rick the other night---no one cooked this much before I was banded!!! He replied it was because I did it all! Now that I don't the rest of the family takes up the slack, but man it is hard not to eat it all! And I am not hungry!

I want to lose a few pounds before surgery, and hoping since I am going to be back to liquids for a few days I can drop some. Then finally we can get some thyroid hormone into my system, and it should boost my metabolism according to the oncologist--one can only hope.

Losing your hair is very emotional---I hope this is not going to happen for your DD. Give her a big hug from her cyber Auntie Kat (if at 11 she will still let you!!)---and tell her it does grow back!!! Mine fell out straight, and light blonde, grew back darker and curlier--go figure!!!

Kat

I too am a grazer, was before I was banded and tend to do the same now. I plan my day coffee and granola bar for Breakfast holds me over to lunch, which can be a salad or yogurt and fruit, I keep Snacks in the car so I am not famished when I get home from work...then while I am cooking dinner I taste this and that and before I know it, I have consumed who knows how much....I used to sit down to a full plate of food, now I feel full and have a few bites more and I'm done, but still I don't know how much I am comsuming due to the grazing.

When I first felt good restriction I would not graze, I am beginning to think it's time for a fill, and the scales being stuck for almost 2 months are screaming....time for a fill.

Beth