Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who were diagnose with sleep apnea, did you have to take your cpap machine with you when you went to the hospital for your surgery?

Yes, they want you to bring it.

My surgeon was extremely explicit about you needing to bring it...or you wouldn't have surgery. (if you have one...I didn't) But I remember them mentioning it in the seminars over and over.

Thank you both so much. I just wanted to make sure my surgeon was telling me to bring it not if i have it. His accent can be tricky sometimes.

You're welcome 🤗

I had the mildest case of sleep apnea and my insurance denied coverage of the c-pap machine and my surgeon refused to let me have surgery without using it for a month prior to surgery. It took an act of Congress fighting to get my insurance to cover the machine. Used it like I was instructed and it made me choke and have nose bleeds every single day it was used since I technically didn’t need it but I was told to take mine to the hospital too and didn’t use it at all.. I don’t know about others, but I was up every hour it seemed and didn’t sleep from either pain or nurses coming in to check on me so it wouldn’t have done much for me to use it lol

My paperwork says they will cancel my surgery if I show up without my CPAP.

I had the mildest case of sleep apnea and my insurance denied coverage of the c-pap machine and my surgeon refused to let me have surgery without using it for a month prior to surgery. It took an act of Congress fighting to get my insurance to cover the machine. Used it like I was instructed and it made me choke and have nose bleeds every single day it was used since I technically didn’t need it but I was told to take mine to the hospital too and didn’t use it at all.. I don’t know about others, but I was up every hour it seemed and didn’t sleep from either pain or nurses coming in to check on me so it wouldn’t have done much for me to use it lol

Oh man that must have been so stressful? I'm sorry you had to go through that.
I hate the machine I feel like I still get the same amount of sleep I've always gotten. I just wake up with more of a headache.

My paperwork says they will cancel my surgery if I show up without my CPAP.

Yikes. Mines doesn't even mention it. But i did the pre-op testing today and the nurse said I may not need it but still have it just in case they might want to uss it while I'm in recovery.

I had to bring mine. The alternative was that the hospital would provide one, which didnt sound clean to me!

Same as apple203.... but told me to bring the accessories (tube, mask etc) and they’d have the base machine. They didn’t have one but I was asked why I wasn’t using my cpap about 20 Times over the two nights stay bc I was having a hard time breathing while sleeping. (They monitor your vitals obviously through the wires etc)

Long story short—. Bring yours!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 [emoji736] (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 173
5’6”

On 4/26/2018 at 10:47 PM, LovableLisha said:

Those who were diagnose with sleep apnea, did you have to take your cpap machine with you when you went to the hospital for your surgery?

I had to bring mine with me.

For those having problems with their cpap, have it checked and try different types of masks. It took about 4 different mask attempts but once I found the one that worked for me I was in heaven. I put that thing on and i'm asleep in 10 minutes or less. Also I had to move to an Auto CPAP that adjusts itself to my rhythm during the night so I don't get too much or too little pressure. The first machine my insurance approved was a joke but once I got them to switch it to auto cpap all was well.

I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering about my machine as well.

Beta98, what kind of machine do you have? I'm interested in this auto cpap thing? However, with weight loss won't we be able to get rid of the machine? Does anyone know?

With weight loss, you will be able to get rid of the machine.. my surgeon took me off of mine at my 1 month post-op appointment since I technically didn’t need it to begin with since my sleep apnea was the lowest number you can have