Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get a medic alert tattoo after surgery?

I wear a Bracelet because I am allergic to 5 medications. No more words can fit on my bracelet.

I’m looking for ideas for a tattoo, so if you have one with your WLS info will you please share it with us.

Toodles,

Rue

I don't have one but it sounds like a good idea.

In theory it sounds interesting, but if you come in with high trauma and they are busting ass to save your life, for some reason, I don't think many will be intricately searching your tat sleeve for signs of medical alert status.

Dunno. Me=skeptical, but hey, I thought the internet was a fad.

I can see your point Fluffychix but I only have a tramp stamp so I wouldn’t be adding that info back there. It would be on my right wrist with the symbol & pertinent info.

Toodles,
Rue

Why not just get a "chip?" :)

well my cats got theirs on the neck right above the shoulders. Do you know anybody who wants chipped there? 😭

In theory it sounds interesting, but if you come in with high trauma and they are busting ass to save your life, for some reason, I don't think many will be intricately searching your tat sleeve for signs of medical alert status.
Dunno. Me=skeptical, but hey, I thought the internet was a fad.

This!

My sister is a paramedic on an ambulance and says they wouldn’t know to look for it. They look for bracelets and they look for the medical Id/health app on your smartphone so fill that out!

She also says they rarely do anything in the field or the ER that would be impacted by weight loss surgery. In an emergency situation they aren’t putting in NG tubes and NSIADs aren’t first line and if they did use them they wouldn’t cause anaphylaxis so they are something to avoid but not necessarily important in an emergency.

3 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

This!

My sister is a paramedic on an ambulance and says they wouldn’t know to look for it. They look for bracelets and they look for the medical Id/health app on your smartphone so fill that out!

She also says they rarely do anything in the field or the ER that would be impacted by weight loss surgery. In an emergency situation they aren’t putting in NG tubes and NSIADs aren’t first line and if they did use them they wouldn’t cause anaphylaxis so they are something to avoid but not necessarily important in an emergency.

Yep. Exactly! It's not the standard of care (the accepted norm of the land).

Even medic alert necklaces aren't SOC.

I can see your point Fluffychix but I only have a tramp stamp so I wouldn’t be adding that info back there. It would be on my right wrist with the symbol & pertinent info.

Toodles,
Rue

Ok they might see it there, BUT what would you add? What’s relevant in an emergency?

That said, tattoos are permanent. Medic alerts aren’t usually. Did you read about the guy who had a DNR tattoo? The docs didn’t honor it because there was no proof it was CURRENT state of mind and not old.

Medic alert is different sure, but medical personnel are far more likely to follow instructions they know are consciously chosen every day... something you can update and chose to wear or not daily... than a tattoo that you may have gotten years ago and can’t change.

Well I’m always gonna be allergic to at least 5 different meds & after a RNY I’m always going to not be able to have a blind tube inserted down my throat.

Toodles,
Rue

5 different med allergies? @toodlerue you are a woman after my own ❤. Just finishing up a course of Levaquin since,PCP decided my reaction,wasn't a true allergy. I develop. a malar flush. Didn't think that,happened anyware but a maternity hospital when you're at 6cm dilatation. My upper cheeks get so red you would think me a victim of Elder Abuse. or been left too,long in Donald Trump's artificial sunlight machine and I'm burned. Wrong month in Ohio for sunburn! But I also have 5 more strange ractions and/or allergies. And next month,i,hope to join you all in the No Blind Tube Club. Only marsupials need,apply,for they are the ones with pouches!👍😛

Well I’m always gonna be allergic to at least 5 different meds & after a RNY I’m always going to not be able to have a blind tube inserted down my throat.

Toodles,
Rue

I understand. I’m just saying that a front line provider told me they are more likely to look in the places they look first and they are less likely to read a tattoo and the reasons.

And a blind NG tube is almost never an emergency procedure.

So what y’all are saying is that I don’t even need one to wear a medic alert Bracelet at all?

Toodles,
Rue

So what y’all are saying is that I don’t even need one to wear a medic alert Bracelet at all?

Toodles,
Rue

Nope if you have medication allergies they should def be on there! If you want to add no blind NG tube put it in the health alert part of your smart phone along with anything else relevant