Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head says "Eat! Eat! Eat!" How do I get through it?!

In the past week or so, i have been craving all my old comfort foods, which has lead to snacking; granted, the snacking is "smarter" than it was pre-surgery but I know that snacking is not something I should be doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get thru this rough patch?

Normally, I would go for a walk or do something to take my mind off food but the weather here has been terrible (we are supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow this weekend) and that makes just leaving the house difficult.

Luckily, the snacking hasn't shown on the scale but I know it is just a matter of time before it does and I want to stop it before it does. Thanks!

Can you do Snacks that would have no negative impact on your calories? Like sf Jello, popsicles, pickles, cucumbers?

Xbox One consoles are on sale. When you play really good games, your mind, hands and time get focused in the games.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

Some ideas

1. Make sure you're eating enough calories. Starvation levels of calories produce....starvation. Who knew? Your body doesn't want to die, so it'll remind you of every possible happy thought to get you to feed it.

2. Keep your blood sugar stable. Be very careful of refined carbs and sugar spikes that cause rebound hunger. Ward off hunger with Protein, and low glycemic carbs that keep your blood sugar steady. If you snack...snack healthy.

3. Make sure you're sleeping enough. Lack of sleep will give you a mighty case of the munchies.

4. Be aware of hormone swings contributing to hunger. If you're about to get your period and want to eat everything in the house....it's comforting to know it'll pass in a couple days. Doesn't help...but might give you insight into distraction strategies.

5. Make sure you're taking your Vitamins and staying hydrated.

All good good things, CreekImp, although #4 no longer applies to me I will go write these in my journal, I've started keeping track of good advice.😛

4 hours ago, bookworm1983 said:

In the past week or so, i have been craving all my old comfort foods, which has lead to snacking; granted, the snacking is "smarter" than it was pre-surgery but I know that snacking is not something I should be doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get thru this rough patch?

Normally, I would go for a walk or do something to take my mind off food but the weather here has been terrible (we are supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow this weekend) and that makes just leaving the house difficult.

Luckily, the snacking hasn't shown on the scale but I know it is just a matter of time before it does and I want to stop it before it does. Thanks!

Distract distract distract. watch movies, read a book, start a jigsaw puzzle anything to get out of your own head

avoid T.V. to many food reminders

and while the weather sucks try to things a round the house to get exercise. several youtube video's that show how to use common household items to workout.

i do counter top push ups while i wait for coffee to heat in microwave. as many as i can do in 90 seconds.

gets the blood pumping and make me feel good.

I have the same problem, sometimes I just want something and it doesn't always matter what it is. My new trick is the have a cup of tea, it can be enough. If I am still wanting something I will have a snack.

It's like I am playing a game to sort out stomach hunger and head hunger, which is fine as long as I win the game!

I bought a treadmill of Craigslist that is a NICE model for only $150. I am deterred by exercise when I have to go somewhere and do it especially in crummy weather.....I live in Wisconsin and it changes on the drop of a dime. I put my treadmill in my garage and it causes me to just sometimes out of nowhere jump up and go for a walk with my headphones and a pump up song. Its a great getaway for myself and I love music so it's awesome. This might be a great idea so you can go for a walk whenever you want and never have to leave home if its crummy or inconvenient or you just don't feel like doing your hair and makeup and want to wear your ugly pair of sweats. I also keep resistance bands...I work for PT so I have the rubber bands for free, also I fill up gallon Water jugs with water to give me something to lift. Gatorade bottles filled with sand also work great.

Take a walk,outside in the fresh sir. Spring is upon,us in Northern Hemisphere while our friends in,South Africa,, New Zealand,and Australia will be starting their Autumn, both very pretty seasons. I put on Sweating to the Oldies and bebop,with Richard Simmons, any exercise DVD will work. Spectrum. (nee TimeWarner) has a Senior Citizen one on Demand I put it on a March in place with them. Watch TV,Trump gets up,and says something , then Democrat gets on and says what,he meant, then a Republican debuts that. It would. be humorous if Trump wasn't playing for real in the 🌏. Someone once said the Chaplain looks out at the Senators and Represenatives and then,prays for the safety of the USA. I sure can understand that. You know if "pro" is for something and "con" is against, can we expect progress from Congress? Just Saying!😋

The word is rebuts, once I got the Beta version I lost my ability to edit my postings😙

Do not eat anything that tastes sweet. Period. It leads to the wrong gut bugs developing population in your gut and forcing you to crave what they want, which is sugar in some form. It’s the only craving you can’t satisfy with healthy food, so don’t ever eat sugar free popsicles, jellos, or fruit. At least no fruit for 6 months. Develop a taste for roasted root veggies, even potatoes - all gut bugs need carbs but the better populations love starchy vegetables. Make your treats be things like 85% or higher dark chocolate or potatoes or roasted other root veggies. Stay away from all sweets. Each time you eat, eat Protein. Use veggies and Beans or seeds as your bite or two of carbs after the protein each time you eat.

When I get the munchies now I eat 90% dark chocolate which you can eat in small quantities, and it is no longer a candy. It’s got very little sugar so it’s more of a vegan antioxidant with a pick me up than a sweet.

I kept fruit out of my diet as my nutritionist suggested for 6 months. Now I can have one strawberry a day or a handful of blueberries. I’m only 9 lbs from goal. I am so glad that now sweet things make me feel quite ill. I used to have a sweet tooth. I eat at least 50% fat every day, so I know for a fact ain’t fat making us fat. So if I want a triple cream cheese or full fat yogurt (plain) I go for it. Or a juicy steak. I never look for low fat or lean anything. Eat fat, plenty of protein, and some veggie carbs. It will really lower your cravings I promise. Those gut bugs are too powerful when they want something.

Tea, audiobooks and crochet. Fills your stomach, mind and hands. And after a while it fixes the “I’m always cold now!” problem too, because now you have a blanket.