Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone else get nausea feeling from drinking water??

I am just about 1 month pre op of having gastric sleeve, having major issues with drinking Water

Yes I drink it very slowly 2oz cup and I have to time it like 10 to 15 mins between each sip??

if not I get nausea from the water. I am always thirsty as well but cant even come close to 64 oz in a day

please any advice??

thanks

Yes, I'm 3day in after surgery.. I have been doing 1oz literally sips. And it has to be ice cold..sucking on popsicle works too.

13 minutes ago, appleblossom50 said:

I am just about 1 month pre op of having gastric sleeve, having major issues with drinking Water

Yes I drink it very slowly 2oz cup and I have to time it like 10 to 15 mins between each sip??

if not I get nausea from the Water. I am always thirsty as well but cant even come close to 64 oz in a day

please any advice??

thanks

It is a thing. My surgeon said it has to do with the "texture" of water not agreeing with your pouch. I can't drink plain water AT ALL and I'm almost 3 months post op. My surgeon recommended adding lemon, cucumber, or do fruit infused. Obviously other options are calorie free mixes like crystal light, caffeine free herbal tea, or calorie free sports drinks like Powerade Zero.

37 minutes ago, appleblossom50 said:

if not I get nausea from the Water. I am always thirsty as well but cant even come close to 64 oz in a day

please any advice??

thanks

try varying the temp. it is really personal. some like colder but others find a warm or hot liquid easier to tolerate.

and remember it doesnt have to be plain water. If warm is easier try herbal tea. if cold is your thing i saw great suggestion in above posts.

just mix it up a bit and see what works for you.

I will get nausea if I am drinking Water at room temperature. Cold water goes down okay.

I'm on my 3rd day, I'm not having issues with Water but the protien shakes are very hard to get down at any temp. They want 90g of Protien a day but i haven't come close to that I've like 30g but plenty of water. I've been literally sipping all day and night. I work nights but I'm out for two weeks. I'm used to getting up at that hour so i usually get up take a couple walks around my house and sip water. And boy does my back hurt!!

I’ve had issues with Water since my sleeve on 3/16. Someone here suggested sugar free Hawaiian Punch. It comes in packets and add to water. I actually like the flavors I’ve tried in the last 2 days. My water intake has doubled but I’m pretty dehydrated so it may take a while to get caught up.

I can’t drink warm - room temperature water... lord that would make me soooo gassy.. I would start burping like crazy.. only really cold I can handle.

I couldn't stomach just plain Water for honestly 2 months no matter what temp it is... Stur and truelime drink mixes were in every bit of what I drank the entire time and even now they are in my purse. There are lots of yummy flavors and no artificial sweeteners. :) I also recommend tea and if you need it sweet try stevia!

This developed at week 4 for me as well. It's mostly that I'm nauseous when I have an empty stomach, and drinking Water just exacerbates it. Changing temps or adding flavorings didn't help in my case. I asked my surgeon's PA about it, and she told me it is common. I personally haven't found a way around it. It has lessened as the weeks have gone on. I also never get sick, just feel nauseous, so I just go about my life. It definitely makes getting all my water in hard, especially considering I'm not much of a water drinker to begin with.

thanks to all who replied... I cannot drink anything with sweeteners added like crystal light(ect,,, way to sweet for me..

I have tried to add some cucumbers slices to my Water, but its still not going so well, Also my water has to be ice ice cold, like have ice in it in order for me to even get it down, Still trying to look for other ways to drink more water though,, Thanks to everyone

never knew my taste buds would be changing as well, seems I dislike some healthy foods I used to enjoy.

How about a slice,of lemon or lime? Also maybe sprigs of mint?

I was having issues with cold Water and it turned out that I was dehydrated and my doctor said my pouch was getting "sticky" and I had a lot of thick saliva in the back of my throat. I was a mess. He suggested hot liquids and to go to the office for 4 liters of IV. A week later, I'm still drinking hot liquids (teas and just hot water), but tolerating room temp water OK. Best of luck to you!

I get very sick if I drink a lot of Water. I will be 3 weeks post op on Wednesday and the first week on my liquid diet I handled water like a champ! And lost a lot of weight. Past couple of days I haven’t lost anything and I think it’s due to not drinking enough. I know how hard it is to drink 64 oz. I’m no where near that amount. So I’ve been trying to drink hot tea, iced tea, Vitamin water zero, it tends to help. I have to just take sips though, which is hard also especially when I’m thirsty. I’m hoping it gets better and I drink more

I had the same issue in the beginning. I had to put crystal light packages in my Water. It made it a bit easier to tolerate, however I see you can't drink that lol. I had trouble with the syrupy aspect of it. I watered it down a bit. I also made fruit water. Just having some of the flavor from whatever fruit I added helped. My favorite was/is blackberrys and raspberry. I would just sit it in the fridge overnight. Then I would sit it out before I drank it to get to room temperature. I also would drink out of a shot glass. Sounds weird but knowing I had to drink out of that thing helped me for some reason. Lol. I'm 5 months post OP and now I can drink water with no issues. I'm not sure if any of this helps at all. If it doesn't... then I'm sorry... I tried lol.