Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

afraid i'll feel hungry

I am on day 4 of my preop diet. I am currently starving to death! I am afraid that i will have this feeling after surgery...i guess because of all of the food restrictions....

Thoughts? Do you feel hungry? How did you get past it?

I am on day 4 of my preop diet. I am currently starving to death! I am afraid that i will have this feeling after surgery...i guess because of all of the food restrictions....

I started my preop diet a month before surgery. The first two weeks were tough. It gets easier, especially after surgery. You have to learn that what your brain wants and your body needs are different and how to distinguish when urges happen. If you slip, you get sick, then you get better at sticking to your goals. You will feel hungry at times but this is the diet you can't quit. Years of bad habits don't stop overnight. However, you will find that you are satisfied with a Protein Drink or broth. I absolutely love Premier Protein, the caramel flavor. You can get it in bulk at costco. Good luck, it is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

10 minutes ago, BlueGirl1920 said:

I started my preop diet a month before surgery. The first two weeks were tough. It gets easier, especially after surgery. You have to learn that what your brain wants and your body needs are different and how to distinguish when urges happen. If you slip, you get sick, then you get better at sticking to your goals. You will feel hungry at times but this is the diet you can't quit. Years of bad habits don't stop overnight. However, you will find that you are satisfied with a Protein Drink or broth. I absolutely love Premier Protein, the caramel flavor. You can get it in bulk at costco. Good luck, it is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

the reason i am so big now ( pre surgery) is because i CANNOT say no when i feel hungry....am i the only one with this problem? im so afraid i will feel hungry and fail myself.

I was very nervous about this same thing before surgery....mostly because I couldn't always tell the difference between actual hunger and cravings/head hunger and I couldn't ever say no to myself. The first week or so after surgery was pretty rough - but I knew 100% it was head hunger and I couldn't physically eat or drink any more than what was recommended so I didn't have the option to give in to the cravings. So that helped me figure out the difference and now I can more easily recognize when it's just a craving vs. actual hunger. I also had a good 3-4 month period after surgery where I was not hungry at all. I had heard people mention that but prior to surgery I just didn't believe it was possible because in my past diet experience all I felt was the awful hunger. But it is absolutely possible and that's what is good about this tool. It gives you a fighting chance because you don't have to deal with the hunger for awhile. You'll be ok!

I have the same fear. I hope I'm like those people that don't experience hunger for a while after surgery. However, I plan on seeing my therapist after surgery to continue working on my binge eating disorder and I know I'll experience head hunger, so I'll probably talk about that too. Maybe that's something you could look into.

Surgery is just a tool. The surgery isn't going to help with all of your eating problems. Seeking help now would be the best thing to set you up for success later!

I experienced the same hunger issues and fear during my pre-op diet. Along with the fear I would have the crazy liver that didn’t shrink and on surgery day would be told it was a no go. After a week of the pre-op the hunger feeling kinda went away, but I was still worried.

I forced myself through the first week by making sure I stayed busy and wasn’t thinking about food. At home, I “Spring Cleaned” every room. The feelings only came on me when I was doing nothing and was bored.

Now 4 days post-op, I had to set reminders to have my purée meals and drinks and medications. I even started writing the times down so I don’t forget.

Hope the helps.