Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op and in pain just sipping water

I had my surgery on 3/26/2018 and to this day I still can't drink much Water. Yesterday I could only drink around 5 ounces with a lot of pain, is it normal?

Also weird fact when I weighed myself after returning from the hospital I had gained 4 pounds??

5oz an hour? If so that's pretty normal for day 3. You were on IV fluids in the hospital, my guess is that you were dehydrated going into surgery.

No it's @ 5 onces for the whole day, I'm afraid to get dehydrated

I weighed more in hospital too bc they pump you with all the fluids, then when I weighed in at my 7 day post up I had lost
8 pounds, my doctor said that was normal bc it was the fluids balancing out.

1 hour ago, Jennoue said:

No it's @ 5 onces for the whole day, I'm afraid to get dehydrated

Well that is concerning. Are you talking about 5oz of Water while getting considerable amounts of Fluid from other sources? If not you need to call your doctor, because you are going to need to get help with this really fast before you get completely dehydrated. Generally speaking they don't let you out of the hospital until you can drink 4oz an hour, does this mean this enhanced difficulty developed after you were released?

Also on a separate note you mentioned pain. Are you taking something for the pain (Tylenol II?) and if so is it not effective? Pain mixed with dehydration are going to absolutely kill your recovery and rob you of the energy you need to heal effectively.

i called my doctor. He prescribed me acetaminophen to relieve the pain, it much better and I was able to drink 20 ounces. Feeling better...thank you

Try it hot or warm. I still can’t drink cold Water without difficulty

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 175
CW 183
5’6”

I am on day 8 post up... I had some hard days too. Breathing exercises and prayer helped me. I had 3 days of low grade fever. Each day, look for one small positive thing! Hope you feel better soon... you will!

15 hours ago, BostonWLKC said:

Try it hot or warm. I still can’t drink cold Water without difficulty

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 175
CW 183
5’6”

This ^^^^^ add to that try room temp. Even frozen popsicles until you find what you can tolerate. Even at 20 ounces you will be in trouble fast.

I had surgery same day as you. I find Bone Broth or any broth to be soothing.

Hang in there and try everything until you find what works

Edited by Yoyogirl

Warm beverages are going down easier and I was able to drink 32 ounces of Water yesterday plus a jello...I still have pain so I just have to go very slow. Good news is I'm 11.0 lbs down surely worth it !

hope you're doing well

20 hours ago, pagallo64 said:

I am on day 8 post up... I had some hard days too. Breathing exercises and prayer helped me. I had 3 days of low grade fever. Each day, look for one small positive thing! Hope you feel better soon... you will!

Warm beverage seems to help me. I'm doing better. How are you doing? Hope your fever is down?

I am glad your doing better with you in take of fluids and pain. I heard day 3 can be rough and actually 3 to 6 can be hard. Hopefully you turned the corner.

I had surgery same day. Hope you are getting your liquid intake up! I think that has been the key to my recovery at least...