Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op stopped losing, gained a little????

Hello all. I was sleeved on 3/5/18. HW 296 SW 265 CW 248.7. My second week post op I hit 246. I started the purée phase this past Monday, my calorie consumption is in the 380’s. I realize the purée phase has some carbs, but not a ton, anyone else stall and gain a bit with the start of purée phase? It makes no sense to me. I am walking 30-60 min a day on the treadmill.

I think most folks hit a stall at the transition to real food. Not to worry from what I've been told it's more of function of the fact that it takes food 3.5 days to work its way through the our systems. At any given time we normally have like 4lbs in the digestive process, when we go on the liquid diet we lose it (which is why we can drop weight so quickly the first week). Just think of this as refilling those digestive reserves after a few days (up to a week) you should see the weight on the scale start dropping again. If you are staying steady (or just slightly up) weight wise during this period then you are actually losing weight.

Edited by aNYCdb

1 hour ago, calvinrn2011 said:

Hello all. I was sleeved on 3/5/18. HW 296 SW 265 CW 248.7. My second week post op I hit 246. I started the purée phase this past Monday, my calorie consumption is in the 380’s. I realize the purée phase has some carbs, but not a ton, anyone else stall and gain a bit with the start of purée phase? It makes no sense to me. I am walking 30-60 min a day on the treadmill.

its not hard to panic when you know that logically you couldn't have gained weight. 3 things to remember. It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound. Second, it could be Water weight. Your body could be retaining water if you aren't getting enough fluids in per day. Lastly, the last poster is correct you could just need to poop LOL. I know I lost 4 lbs when I finally had my first regular bowel movement after surgery.

Perfect example, on Tuesday I weighed 3lbs less than I weighed (same clothes, shoes, ect.) on Wednesday. I'm not stressing that I gained weight, because I didn't. I didn't eat enough calories and I exercised both days. I weigh myself daily, but that's why my NUT doesn't recommend it.

Edited by AshAsh1

Ok so I have seen the term NUT a lot in this forum. I work I. The medical field and have never seen this used to abbreviate a medical professional. So what does it mean? I assume nutritionist? But that doesn’t seem to correlate with some of the posts.

The three week stall is fairly common. I know I am dreading my first stall.

Hello all. I feel like my situation is identical to yours! I had my surgery on March 1. Followed every rule given to me through each phase. I lost 20 lbs during the pre-op diet, then 12 pounds in the first 2-3 weeks post-op. On my third weigh in (my dr advised me not to weigh myself more than once a week) on 3/21 I was up one pound. I can’t help but feel frustrated! I haven’t “cheated” or deviated from the guidelines even once! It’s helping to read everyone else’s similar situations though. I’m determined to make this a successful journey, but can’t help but hate this part of it! LOL. Good luck to all!!

@calvinrn2011 NUT is nutritionist, RD - is registered dietician, sort of the same in many settings. RD is probably preferred and more accurate.

Yes the body is adjusting to surgery, lack of calories/liquid, etc. Drink more plain Water if you can. Sometimes a lot of exercise at this point can be counterproductive because you are not consuming enough calories yet, you could just do half an hour of walking for a few days and up your water and it will move the scale soon.

[mention=182293]calvinrn2011[/mention] NUT is nutritionist, RD - is registered dietician, sort of the same in many settings. RD is probably preferred and more accurate.

I think I would be angry if I went to School obtained credentials only for lay people and others to call me a NUT. Seems disrespectful. But I may be splitting hairs.

@calvinrn2011 my NUT thought is was cute!

Our bodies have thousands of years of evolutionary defenses to help us survive famines, bad hunting, poor conditions, injuries.

There is nothing more outrageous or disheartening than to be eating so few calories each day...and not lose weight. But it happens....to nearly everyone.

On the plus side....it's good to know that if we ever find ourselves with an arm wedged under a boulder, or in a concentration camp....or hopelessly lost in the woods....our chances of survival would be greater because our bodies adapt so readily to starvation.

Eventually, though....coping mechanisms aside....calories in -vs- calories out will eventually overtake our body's best efforts to keep us from losing. Will take some time. Patience and consistency are the key.

It's maddening....but I promise, eventually the scale will move.

People are always taken off guard when I tell them that my group pushes us to eat 1000-1200 calories per day as soon as the third week. Seems contraindicated, like you should be taking advantage of that lack of appetite in the early days. Why return to normal calories so soon? I think this issue with metobolic reaction to starvation levels of calories is the reason my group does this. We return to normal levels of calories ASAP...and nuture a vigorous metabolism.

Supposedly (and a couple of studies support this)....eating more calories sooner is correlated with slower weight loss....but an almost identical total weight loss at 18 months... with less regain at year 5.....as folks who have very restricted calories in the first 6 months.

Edited by Creekimp13

47 minutes ago, calvinrn2011 said:

I think I would be angry if I went to School obtained credentials only for lay people and others to call me a NUT. Seems disrespectful. But I may be splitting hairs.

I think it's interesting that therapist quite literally spells... the rapist.

LOL. Talk about disrespectful!

Depending on the state a "nutritionist" doesn't need any special training to hang a shingle and tell people how to eat. A "dietitian", however, is the legally protected term of a medical professional with a four year degree.

https://www.nutritioned.org/dietitian-vs-nutritionist.html

Yep, same here, on my 4th week and hit my first stall. Don't worry, apparently it's very famous and almost everyone experiences a stall at 3-4 weeks post op.

LOL, good point!!