Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question on Vsg to bypass revision and GERD

I'm waiting for insurance approval for revision from sleeve to bypass due to GERD. My acid reflux was tested and it is severe (the worst my surgeon has ever seen). I am currently maxed out on 4 different meds, prescription and otc. The refux NEVER stops. Is there anyone who had the same revision and is still having to take a PPI after bypass?

Totally fixed mine. 4 weeks out and not one gerd episode.

What anti acid meds were you on before bypass? Did you have bravo testing? If so what was your DeeMester score?

I have taken so many meds for my reflux, I am currently close to 4 months post op and I am having some severe episodes...this past weekend it woke me up out of my sleep. I have taken:

Antacids chewables and liquids

Omeprazole

Carafate Liquids and pills

Zantac

Famotidine

Nothing is helping.

So you had a revision and it did not cure your reflux? Or at least help it? Have you contacted your surgeon? What does he say?

I actually have not, I spoke with my surgeon a couple of weeks back and he said that my reflux is really bad and he suggested at me getting a revision as well. I haven't started the process with insurance or anything but I know that the meds I've been prescribed aren't keeping the reflux away. It calms it sometimes but most of the time I just have to struggle with it. I love my results from surgery though and this is one of my only downsides but I literally have never dealt with Acid Reflux before this.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. It sucks I'm 10 lbs from goal and need another surgery.

I'm personally scared to death of bypass and I don't want it but I want the constant reflux less.

You can't let the reflux go on and on because you might have another set of problems.

2 minutes ago, animallover1247 said:

I understand exactly where you are coming from. It sucks I'm 10 lbs from goal and need another surgery.

I'm personally scared to death of bypass and I don't want it but I want the constant reflux less.

You can't let the reflux go on and on because you might have another set of problems.

To be honest, I was going to just deal with it but then I did research and found out that constant reflux can lead to some REALLY bad things long term... so that along with the discomfort is enough for me to try and get the revision. But I think I would have to wait a lot longer since I am so fresh out of surgery. And to be honest, I don't want to go through the process again if I don't have to. I am really happy with my results and my weight loss.

If you can deal with the reflux it is possible it may resolve but it may not. I would try to wait it out rather than going for the bypass right now. However bypass may be in your future. I complained about reflux one week post op. It's now 2 years later and I feel like I cannot take one more second of it

I am 3 years post sleeve. I am in the process of revision, maybe May?.While I have nasty reflux the reason is 1 only lost 30 pounds in about 8 months, and then over the next 2.5 years I put on 40. My original clinic called me the 1%.

At that time I posted on a different forum and was treated nasty. I stopped reading and watching anything bariatric.

I now know that I was the 1st of 15 patients surgeon did a sleeve on. That surgeon is no longer practicing medicine. We dont yet know if his method is responsible for my lack of success. Probably never will.

Now I try to find the emotional box for what is my own responsibility and what is somebody's elses fault.

And keep moving forward

Let me ask you. What is your diet like? What do you typically eat in a day over a few days. Please list the good and the bad.

Reason being? IF you are eating carby, fatty foods, or even if you're eating bread/grains/pasta/rice/tortillas/corn products/sugar/fats/dairy (cheese especially)/tomatoes/alcohol of any kind, your GERD will be through the roof to the moon, Alice.

Some people (every member of my fam) who have GERD go on Whole 30 and drop all the above foods and every single one had relief from GERD. My sis was on 3 meds for it, so was my nephew...

Just a thought for you!

Edited by FluffyChix

On 18.3.2018 at 2:24 PM, animallover1247 said:

Is there anyone who had the same revision and is still having to take a PPI after bypass?

I still have to take PPI. However, the volume reflux is gone since revision (band to MGB) and I have to take a much lower dose of PPI.

5 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Some people (every member of my fam) who has GERD went on Whole 30 and dropped all the above foods and every single one had relief from GERD. My sis was on 3 meds for it, so was my nephew...

Unless they also had sleeves it's like comparing apples to pears. ;) Gastric sleeve is infamous for causing severe reflux. Won't hurt trying a diet change though.