Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this...

Hi all! I’m 24 male from Massachusetts and I am in the beginning stages of weight loss surgery.
I have made all my 5 appointments, the first being the end of the month. How long did it take you from your appointment to surgery date?
I’m SO SO NERVOUS and ANXIOUS over this whole situation. As much as I want it, I constantly want to throw in the flag. Reading some of the recovery stories and the possibility of not losing the weight scares the hell out of me! Please any suggestions/advice/stories are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Complications are rare, recovery is usually very tolerable and mainly a learning curve on living with wls. Use this time to read, figure out your relationship with food, be prepared for big and ongoing changes. It is not magic, it is a successful surgery for weight loss if YOU follow your physician's program. Many of us would rather have had this surgery at age 24 and lived a healthy young life before the damage of being obese took its toll on our knees, backs, heart, and other organs.

Most of us complete a 6 month program and then usually 0-2 months later have surgery. Good luck. Don't look back.

Relax and read some of the success stories on here. There are people who were just as scared as you and worse. You will often second guess yourself, a lot of us had doubts but if you committ yourself you will make it through. And a good thing is: you have all of us to cheer you on., you have sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles and me, a grandma-ager in this worldwide Bariatric family. There is not a worry you can think up that one of us has not already had and overcome. When I joined I had and am still having some doozies and they have helped me with them all. They will do the same for you. So welcome and please stay around a while!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I received a surgery date 2 weeks after my last appt. I was approved by my insurance 1 week after my last appt.

I have stalled since I started lifting weights. My weight has swayed between 189 - 195 for months. However, I continue to keep going to the gym and eating right. I have come to realize that I have packed on a lot of muscle. Unfortunately, it is hidden under my fat but arms look nice. My only regret is that I had not done this sooner.

It is okay to be scared. A lot of the time, people whom you see that have not lost the weight or regain, tend to be making a mistake in their program. Such as and limited to:

1) Not meal prepping properly or eating properly.

2) Not exercising or changing their lifestyle

3) Giving up or throwing in the towel because they stalled for too long

4) Failing to realize that slow progress is still progress (May not lose on the scale but lose inches)

13 hours ago, cjg1216 said:

Hi all! I’m 24 male from Massachusetts and I am in the beginning stages of weight loss surgery.
I have made all my 5 appointments, the first being the end of the month. How long did it take you from your appointment to surgery date?
I’m SO SO NERVOUS and ANXIOUS over this whole situation. As much as I want it, I constantly want to throw in the flag. Reading some of the recovery stories and the possibility of not losing the weight scares the hell out of me! Please any suggestions/advice/stories are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am less than 24 hours from surgery. If I have one piece of advice to give it is not to neglect the psychological side of this journey. Really examine the reasons that you're overweight now and think about what it will be like to eat to live instead of live to eat (if this what you do.) For me, I lived to eat. food was keeping me from suicide; it was my life line and I discovered this very late in the time leading up to surgery. If I could have done one thing differently up to this point, it would be to start examining my relationship with food earlier. If I learned one thing, establishing a healthy relationship with food is crucial for long term success and this is where I went wrong in my previous weight loss attempts. This is the reason that I have not met with success in maintenance. All of this came to light just in the past 5 days. The next year of my life will be about learning to manage psychological pain without masking it in a substance.