Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I have finally received a date for my first consultation with the Bariatric team after being on the waiting list for 18 months.

Although I am based in Scotland and i know the vast majority on here are North america based, so your experiences might be vastly different, I was still looking for some tips on what to expect from the first consultations if possible.

There is a UK based Forum, but it doesnt seem to get much traffic.

Many thanks

Gerry

Welcome! I am new to all of this too. Wow, an 18 month waiting list, that's crazy. Glad that things are finally moving.

On my first consultation, they did pictures, I met with the surgeon and we discussed which option would be best for me and what the surgery would be like. She spoke briefly about pre op and post op. Then I met with the NUT, nutritionist, and she went into further detail about the pre op diet and post op diet. Then I met with billing liasion to discuss the costs. Someone in that group spoke with me about the 4 different pre op testings that would need to be completed: Upper GI, Cardiologist/stress test, blood work, and psych evaluation.

It all lasted a little over an hour and most all of that was talking... nothing actually happened other than weighing and taking my blood pressure. They sent me home with a large folder full of information.

Many thanks for the info.

GerryBhoy are you going through NHS? I have heard from UK posters the waits can be unending. It's almost as bad in Canada, my Baripal Mrs Gamgee in Red Deer Alberta has been on her WLS journey over a year, Sweden also seems slow, the best places are Australia and New Zealand. About the same period as US is my Bari-bud LillyBilly from the Caribbean, i suspect she's from one of the ABC Islands, Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao, but I don't know for certain. At any rate, she will be going to Columbia, South America for her surgery. I am not certain how long it takes in South Africa or the Middle East. So the only way to do it faster is to go Private Pay, UK people go to Belgium, Estonia or somewhere else in Europe, US and Canadians go to Mexico. The best one there I'm told is BariatricPalMX and Dr Jamil Illan, hope I got the spelling right? In the US the time period is 5-6 months because of satisfying insurance stipulations. Trust you don't mind me rambling on so long.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Frust, yes going through the NHS.

The plus side is obviously that it is completely free of charge, but it has been a frustrating wait these past 18 months.

Hi All,
I have finally received a date for my first consultation with the Bariatric team after being on the waiting list for 18 months.
Although I am based in Scotland and i know the vast majority on here are North america based, so your experiences might be vastly different, I was still looking for some tips on what to expect from the first consultations if possible.
There is a UK based Forum, but it doesnt seem to get much traffic.
Many thanks
Gerry

Welcome

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks Elizabeth

I am in Canada and I had 3 years wait BEFORE meeting with a surgeon, after approved I had a 2 years wait.

So you aren't alone with the long waiting time c: I just had my surgery 6 weeks ago. Take your time to research and slowly change your eating habit as if you had the surgery already c:

As for what will happen, you'll get weighed, you'll discuss your medical history, your history of dieting and weight fluctuation and your weight loss goals, then the doctor will give a recommendation and lay out a plan for you. There will be several subsequent visits planned including a nutritionist/dietician, possibly an endoscopy and/or a psychiatric evaulation, and you'll need a pre-op physical. all of that should be reviewed in detail with you.

If you've been hanging out here you'll have noticed by now that there can be very wide differences in doctor recommendations and requirements for pre-op and post-op diets as well as things like hospital stays. My suggestion is to browse through these forums and look at the questions that pop up over and over and over. Anything that comes up here frequently is something you're going to want to discuss with the doctor. A good doctor will give discuss everything with you in advance and give you handouts that will address most of the questions you'll have, but do not be afraid to ask anything, no matter how inconsequential you may think it is. Take notes while you're there.

Just do your research and go in prepared. You may have different paperwork hurdles compared to those of us in America and other countries, but there's nothing that will be insurmountable.

Good luck.

Thanks All.