Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days post-op, not sure if normal

Hi everyone! Glad to have found this forum and hoping some of the experienced folks here might be able to help me understand if what I'm experiencing is normal.

I'm 8 days post-op (surgery date was 2/26) and it went relatively smoothly except for being held an extra day inpatient because of difficulty swallowing liquids. Starting about day 5-6, I started having a really hard time swallowing again as well as some pretty bad diarrhea (sorry tmi). I've been regularly experiencing nausea and different types of abdominal pain including feeling like I just took a punch to the middle of my abdomen and a stitch-like feeling across my upper abdomen. Because of this I feel like I'm having trouble getting enough calories/hydration in. I can manage 300-400 calories per day and maybe 20 oz of Water on a good day. I feel pretty weak and have almost passed out a couple times. It doesn't feel like a texture issue exactly, more like I just can't fit any more in there, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, sorry for the long first post. I'm just really at a loss. I tried calling my doctor and they weren't very helpful so I'm hoping to just get a sense of others' experiences. Thank you!! ❤️

You are likely dehydrated. You might need an IV for fluids. Don't neglect this, go get checked. How is urine output? You should pee every two hours and it should be light in color and not scanty in volume.

Try popsicles or warm tea first to help with imflammation, push liquids - don't obsess over Protein goals, but liquids yes - you have to get those 64 ounces in - HAVE TO.

Honestly, it took me a quite a while to be able to actually drink something. For the longest time I would take enough Fluid at a time to wet my lips and the inside of my mouth. Anything else didn't feel right. Just keep sipping!

Many weight loss patients cannot tolerate plain Water after surgery. I know I am one of those people. I cant drink more than a swig from a bottle of water without feeling the urge to puke. I'd try adding calorie free, sugar free additives to the water to see if it helps. I drink fruit tea (caffeine free). You can also use crystal light, watered down 100% juice, lemon, or cucumber.

Thanks for the replies guys! It really helped me to gain some perspective. I also had an appointment and was told that eating extra salt would help stabilize my blood pressure and that only managing 300 calories a day does happen to some people. Nutritionist suggested adding olive oil to stuff and to try to shoot for at least 600. I appreciate your support!