Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of reading the "Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve Surgery. I was all set to pursue this and then I read the chapter on all the cons. Scared the crap out of me. I would really like to hear from other people. I am open to pros and cons but I don't want to hear drama. Thanks!

Sadie most things in life will always have some cons. When you take a medication the side effects are listed for you. Most times if you read the side effects you'd probably end up not taking the medication. The BENEFITS that you get from taking the medications will usually outweigh any side effects (if you even get them) that you will get from the medications. The same is true for WLS. The benefits of better health will probably outweigh any negative effects that you Might experience with WLS. That said, it's a decision that you will have to make.

Have been sleeved for three months, have not noticed any cons yet:) Certainly none that outweigh the many benefits:)

What, in particular, are you concerned about?

Edited by Creekimp13

Thanks Danny! You are right about there being cons to most everything in life. I know that. It just scared me. Talking about possible leaks, resurgery, Gerd which I already have and was hoping to fix. The book said that most people would have some sort of side effect. Like pain, Gerd, vomiting. My step daughter had it done 2 years ago and she said that it was worth it, but the first 2 weeks were pretty rough.

Welllll.....I had RNY...but I'll still answer.

Here it is. Bottom line.

I don't hang out with cons.

Drugs are bad.

mkay?

3 hours ago, Sadie2015 said:

I am in the process of reading the "Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve Surgery. I was all set to pursue this and then I read the chapter on all the cons. Scared the crap out of me. I would really like to hear from other people. I am open to pros and cons but I don't want to hear drama. Thanks!

Here's how I keep things in perspective:

The odds of complications from the surgery are relatively low. The odds of developing complications from leaving my weight untreated (or trying on my own and inevitably failing again) are significantly higher.

So having the surgery, despite the risk, is the correct decision. It's just math.

There are pros and cons to everything in this world. I was originally afraid of the surgery after seeing the cons.

Then I did my own pros and con list. It was life without the surgery and lift without it. I found that life without the surgery had more cons than pros for me.

Honestly, this decision is not easy. This path is not easy. It will be both a physical and emotional obstacle that will test your willpower and desire to succeed.

After all the pain, anxiety, stress and so many other moments of feeling like I would fail, I would do it all over again.

I have regained my confidence, my self-esteem is at an all-time high, I can do more things and I do not hide from the world.

My only regret is that I did not do the surgery sooner.

I agree the risks are scary but when you really look at the numbers getting a sleeve is a safer surgery than a hip replacement. I’m about 3 weeks out and I too had all of the fears that you are having. I was scared of the actual surgery, I was scared of the recovery, I was scared of how my life would change. And looking back I am SO glad that I did it! I’m down 25 pounds (20 since 2/14) and I already can see a difference in appearance and how I feel. I was really scared about how much my social life would change since I eat out with friends often and am very active socially but even though I’m on the soft diet phase I have eaten out 3 times the past 3 days with people who didn’t know I had the surgery and I didn’t skip a beat. I didn’t even have to cheat. I just ordered sides as my entree and told them I was cutting back. I’m not saying. That the first few days after surgery aren’t rough and I’m not saying that it’s super easy but I am saying is that if I can do it, anyone can do it! Haha. Good luck!

Other than it being a struggle to not have the tools of my personal addiction at my disposal, there aren’t any cons, provided you get a surgery practice affiliated with a local hospital and not some yahoo operating out of a strip mall. Find a good therapist and go to weekly talk therapy starting when you get a surgery date.

34 minutes ago, abefroman329 said:

...provided you get a surgery practice affiliated with a local hospital and not some yahoo operating out of a strip mall.

Yeah, fine, but what if when you've getting your surgery you also want to get your nails done, buy a new case for your phone and pick up some lotto tickets? Suddenly the strip mall isn't so bad any more, is it?