Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about results of my Endoscopy Test

Hey all, I'm currently in the middle of my pre op testing. Everything was going great until I had my barium test/flouro and they noticed that I had some reflux. fast forward to last week when I had my endoscopy...they found that I have an irregular EG junction, A little bit of reflux where my esophagus and stomach meet, and mild gastritis. I havent gotten the results of the biopsies yet. I never really had much pain from reflux, I would notice it once in a while if I burped, and it only started when I really got heavy. With that being said I havent been able to find much info on what exactly an irregular EG junction is...

I was looking to get my VSG surgery the first week of April. Do you think my results would hinder my chances of surgery? I havent had a chance to speak to my doctor yet but this is worrying me. If anyone could share their experience with something like this that would be awesome.

It's a very common finding on the EGD. I had exactly that: GERD, irregular EG junction and mild gastritis. I also have a few metaplasia cells in my duodenum. I just had to take a PPI for the rest of my pre-op time and now I'm taking a prescription PPI post RNY surgery.

I chose to go with the RNY rather than the VSG cuz as much as 30% of VSGs have to get altered to RNYs due to GERD.

I don't think it's going to be any big deal for you. Don't stress!

As @FluffyChix mentioned, you really want to consider RNY if you have GERD because sometimes GERD is exacerbated by just the sleeve alone. I am sure you don't want to go through a revision surgery.

Well I'm sorta lay witness to this here, not a doctor or nurse, just another victim. Another name is Incompetent Cardiac Sphincter. Just means the valve there isn't as strong as average. So juices erp out of your stomach, go up the esophagus and irritate it. If it goes on long enough the tissues lining MR Esophagus changes in appearance and consistency and you develop Barrett's Esophagus, this you DO NOT want, it can be a precancerous condition. If you disregard this, let me tell you from my own family. Cousin June-Ellen thought she had bad indigestion, sure she had smoked thru the years, even drank a little. Felt miserable, consulted our local hospital, didn't get any answers, went to OSU hospital, got inconclusive answers, decided to consult Cleveland Clinic, opened her up in an exploratory, she coded on the table but they found advanced stage Esophageal Cancer. Worse Stage Scenario, but she died at 68 in a not very nice way and I still miss her. When I had my EGD done, my gastroenterologist said I had gastritis and a small,ulcer, first thing I asked was"Any sign of Barrett's?" Think I startled him, but I do know I have GERD and wanted to make certain. Another fact: the thinking is now Asthma can be caused by reflux while you sleep. I have asthma too.

PS If you have GERD most surgeon's recommend against VSG, it can make it worse whereas RnY will not. Just a little FYI.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

22 minutes ago, Mattymatt said:

As @FluffyChix mentioned, you really want to consider RNY if you have GERD because sometimes GERD is exacerbated by just the sleeve alone. I am sure you don't want to go through a revision surgery.

Do you think having VSG would be an issue for me since I didnt have reflux until about a year or so ago? I wasnt diagnosed with GERD specifically, the doctor who did the test said I just have some reflux. I dont have many of the symptoms that come with GERD. I was really trying to avoid a bypass.

I was really hoping the reflux would stop after I lose some weight, as the doctor said it couldve been brought on by all the extra weight.

I am no expert but my surgeon says that GERD makes sleeve almost a no go. Why are you trying to avoid a bypass? It's the gold standard. Research shows that bypass patients have the best outcome.

22 minutes ago, Mattymatt said:

I am no expert but my surgeon says that GERD makes sleeve almost a no go. Why are you trying to avoid a bypass? It's the gold standard. Research shows that bypass patients have the best outcome.

I'll have to follow up with both doctors and see what they say. I was trying to avoid a bypass because frankly, the thought of rearranging my insides didnt sound too appealing. I was all onboard for the VSG until this came up. I dont know too much about the bypass because it wasnt what my surgeon and I had discussed in length in the beginning. I could be worried over nothing...I dont know any better yet! lol

5 minutes ago, LindsayDenise said:

I'll have to follow up with both doctors and see what they say. I was trying to avoid a bypass because frankly, the thought of rearranging my insides didnt sound too appealing. I was all onboard for the VSG until this came up. I dont know too much about the bypass because it wasnt what my surgeon and I had discussed in length in the beginning. I could be worried over nothing...I dont know any better yet! lol

It sounds far more ghastly than it is - at first I did not like the idea of my insides being rerouted. The kicker for me was having both GERD and Type 2 Diabetes. The sleeve does not seem to have as profound an effect on diabetes as RNY does. They say RNY either cures T2 or sends it into remission. I absolutely hate having to take 3 medicines to control blood sugar. At least I've been pulled off of 2 of them now that I am on Day 1 of the Optifast pre-op diet. I am just relieved to be off of Victoza. I got the rare side effect of worsening depression while on Victoza. Just not taking it today makes me feel better already. I'd get like ready to cry at a moment's notice - some real ugly stuff.

Edited by Mattymatt

Mattymatt is right, but remember unless you were going to have a gastro- plication which you weren't you would lose 3/4 of your natural stomach in a VSG and a lot of people have to have them revised to a bypass these days. Go for the Gold standard and only need the single surgery.

I really think all surgeons think differently. My Surgeon doesn't believe gastric bypass is the gold standard. Hes says it used to be. He does sleeves and Sips now. He is a awesome Dr. and only surgeon that has gave me his cell number. I am hoping to get my wls in May.

Lindsay....I had the exact same experience. Had an abnormal upper GI with Barium, had endoscopy, they found chronic gastritis. Blah blah...

I never experienced any symptoms of acid reflux, but was told I had it.

I had a sleeve. I love my sleeve. I have still not had any symptoms of acid reflux.

The only thing to be concerned about...is the results of your biopsies to make sure you don't have Helicobacter Pylori.

Unless you have severe GERD, this shouldn't change anything. No worries.

And interestingly, it wasn't until surgery that they discovered I had a pretty decent sized hiatal hernia...which they fixed. I'm told that can help reduce acid reflux.

1 hour ago, Kat0000 said:

I really think all surgeons think differently. My Surgeon doesn't believe gastric bypass is the gold standard. Hes says it used to be. He does sleeves and Sips now. He is a awesome Dr. and only surgeon that has gave me his cell number. I am hoping to get my wls in May.

My surgeon said the same, that VSG was the gold standard now too. Im SO confused now!

On 2/26/2018 at 2:07 PM, Creekimp13 said:

Lindsay....I had the exact same experience. Had an abnormal upper GI with Barium, had endoscopy, they found chronic gastritis. Blah blah...

I never experienced any symptoms of acid reflux, but was told I had it.

I had a sleeve. I love my sleeve. I have still not had any symptoms of acid reflux.

The only thing to be concerned about...is the results of your biopsies to make sure you don't have Helicobacter Pylori.

Unless you have severe GERD, this shouldn't change anything. No worries.

And interestingly, it wasn't until surgery that they discovered I had a pretty decent sized hiatal hernia...which they fixed. I'm told that can help reduce acid reflux.

So strange that they didn’t see it in the endoscopy, I know it is sometimes found there!

I had my endoscopy on Friday. My doctor found pretty severe GERD. Most of the opening to the stomach is discolored and inflamed. I’m only 23 and his assumption in recovery seemed to be I’ve just been heavy my whole life and that must have caused it. I did ask about if my sleeve surgery should still go as planned. He believes in most cases GERD improves or disappears with a sleeve.

But because I’m so young and it’s evident I’ve had this problem a while, I’d be more curious to find the route cause before proceeding with a sleeve in May.

Edited by Jerseygirl4523

Because you are young-- that's probably why the recommendation of the sleeve. If it doesn't do good there may be still a regular bypass or SIPS in your future --but on the other hand --the sleeve may be Just perfect. Its really up to you and your surgeon to decide. Listen to advice from him, he knows your individual case better than any of us could.