Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery- what is it like?

My RNY surgery is a week away and Im getting anxious.

What was it like when you very first woke up after RNY surgery? What can I expect the first day? Anything I should know that they dont tell you?

When you wake up you are pretty woozy. I can’t really remember much until the next day. Not really even who visited!

It wasn’t too sore but you have meds if needed. Mostly they want you to sip Water and your insides are swollen so it is hard - but it gets better pretty quickly.

Day 2 was a bit tender. People with laparoscopic surgery often get gas pain - the surgeons use air blown inside you to separate your organs. Until your body absorbs this it causes odd pains - getting up and walking slowly about is the key to sorting that.

Anticipate anxiety - maybe even thinking about cancelling - as it gets closer. Many of us think that - but it passes and you join us back here, on the losers’ bench!

I debated going thru the surgery all the way to the morning of. I was scared. Scared of change, scared of not being able to eat what I want. Scared I might fail. But I realize it’s about me being happy with myself and healthier for my family. The first day you basically have great sleep from the pain meds. You can have as many pop cycles as you want the second day and Jello. That should make you feel like it isn’t all bad. Lol but for 3 weeks you will be sore. But like a snap, it’s gone and your back to doing normal things without pain. Like sleeping, getting up, bending over, etc. Can I ask you, have you tried weight watchers?

I had some intense heart burn type pain for about an hour ... but it goes away- likely just gas from surgery.

Slept for a solid amount of time. Near no pain at all (had laparoscopic bypass), only a bit when sleeping bc i couldn’t sleep on side yet. Movement was fine and back to work easily within a week and that was only to get eating habits in line

Best decision ever— no regrets and nothing too big to worry about at all

HW 242
SW 236- December 20, 2017
CW 198
GW 160

I debated going thru the surgery all the way to the morning of. I was scared. Scared of change, scared of not being able to eat what I want. Scared I might fail. But I realize it’s about me being happy with myself and healthier for my family. The first day you basically have great sleep from the pain meds. You can have as many pop cycles as you want the second day and Jello. That should make you feel like it isn’t all bad. Lol but for 3 weeks you will be sore. But like a snap, it’s gone and your back to doing normal things without pain. Like sleeping, getting up, bending over, etc. Can I ask you, have you tried weight watchers?

I was the same and had surgery friday the 9th

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

I woke up being asked how I was feeling and if I was in pain and not to scare you off or anything but I have a very high pain tolerance and FELT that pain. Lol

I was so out of it that after they were done assessing my pain and health during the short time that I was awake, I passed right back out. I don't think I was awake again til the middle of the night when they came to check on me. Then I passed back out. You can expect to be out like a light most or all of the first day. I don't know if they'll be on your case about walking that first day, probably not.

Expect to not even be worried about being fed. You won't even be hungry but they will give them things to swab your mouth with the next day.

What they may not tell you is, they will let you wash up and brush your teeth the second or third day.... And the less needy you are, the more available they seem to be. My mom is a nurse of some sort and she told me that they all love it if patients aren't so needy. If you're needy, they complain about it in the break room which is why they may take forever and a half.

Useless information, I guess? I don't know....

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-136
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 36C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

I woke up in no pain, and slept for hours. I remember them telling me I have to go home in 24 hours and thinking, " How the heck am I going to do THAT!" I was not feeling good enough, but each hour I felt better and better. Got up to walk, him to the bathroom, and by the time I had to go home , it was easier. I knew I'd sleep easier at home, too. Using a pillow and heating pad in your stomach works wonders!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I woke up with no pain. I asked the nurse what kind of pain meds they had given me, and she said none. I was awake in recovery, helped get myself into my new bed in my room and walked over 5 miles in the hospital. I rated my pain at a 2, because I felt like I had to say something. I was awake and felt a little sluggish, but otherwise great. The only nap I took was the next morning after IV benadryl. They even let me walk myself out (with a babysitter nurse) upon discharge.

My gas pain started about 24 hours out, and I'd rate it about an 8. But laying on my left side really helped the gas leave my body. It came in waves... Pain, relief, then repeat every few hours for a few days.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery at 830 pm due to an emergency my surgeon had before me. I remember going into the operating room and being strapped to the board table thingy lol then i was out like a light..oh i remember loud rock music being played in the OR lol. I woke up being extremely groggy and dry mouth!!! I was wheeled into my room and was up within a few hours asking to use the bathroom not a bed pan. It was a lot of pain but bearable. Mostly when I went from sitting or laying to standing. I was up and walking making laps around the hospital unit I was in around 10 am the night after surgery because I was determined to go home! I had surgery dec 6 2016 at 830 pm and was out of the hospital dec 7 around 3 pm. Everyone heals different and has different pain tolerance. My issue was nausea and i am over a year post op and still have little nausea in the morning. My only advice is keep your head up, there will be good and bad days but no regrets!!! 20180216_064153.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

When I first woke up in recovery I was having a hard time getting a deep breath - I assume it was because of the stomach pain and just general 'coming out of anesthesia' stuff but it scared the heck out of me. Next thing I remember was being in my room and having to pee so very badly. I didn't want a bed pan so I hauled myself up and to the bathroom (lots of help from the nurse). I was actually glad I did that because it helped me to start moving around right away. Other than that my hospital stay was a haze of walking the halls, sleeping and trying to force down the required amounts of liquid.

Honestly, the experience was a lot better than expected. I thought i'd be in unbearable pain because my sister has the Gastric sleeve and she said it was horrible. I will say this, it is scary when they bring you into the operating room, I wanted to back out but my anesthesiologist really was an angel he made me feel so comfortable. When you wake up you're going to feel like you cant breathe because of the big tube they put down your throat, but they take it out really quickly.

When they brought me to the recovering room I was very drugged up more sore than anything and I kept dozing off. The only annoying thing was the thirst! My lips were crazy dry and I wanted to drink so bad. They give you ice chips eventually and there really isnt any pain I was just sore. You cant get up and walk until they instruct you to. The first week is the hardest, I regretted getting the surgery so bad, I was getting depressed weak etc. But now im 9 days post op and Im feeling great, I started eating some mushy foods etc and im 17 pounds down so it really is all worth it. But if I had to say this whole experience is more of a mental challenge than it is physical.

GOOD LUCK! ITLL ALL BE WORTH IT

Hey Evelyn. How are you losing weight so quickly. I’ve only lost 29 lbs and I’m 5.5 weeks. Ahhhh

Honestly, I was really sticking to the diet my first week. I hate chicken broth so I wasn't drinking that, and I wasnt drinking Protein Shakes either. I was literally just drinking like actual Soup and eating Jello and drinking Water.

5.5 weeks so you should be clear to work out have you worked out? I can't wait to get in the gym.

Honestly, I was really sticking to the diet my first week. I hate chicken broth so I wasn't drinking that, and I wasnt drinking Protein Shakes either. I was literally just drinking like actual Soup and eating Jello and drinking Water.
5.5 weeks so you should be clear to work out have you worked out? I can't wait to get in the gym.

I started going to the gym 2.5 weeks after surgery and just walking slowly. It’s been fine and I feel like it’s helped loosen up my abdomen, if that makes sense. My doctor just said if it hurts, don’t do it. I don’t do any lifting yet.

HW 356
CW 305
GW 180

RNY 01/22/18