Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Barefoot running shoes

Hey everyone.

Before I had my kiddo and gained a bunch, I started running barefoot (with Vibrams.) I have gotten back into running buuut can't afford new vibrams.

When I typed barefoot into Amazon, they came back with Water shoes. Has anyone run in these? Is it similar to a barefoot shoe? I know they won't last as long but I'm ok seeing as they're cheap.

SW: 366

CW: 329

GW1: 200

RNY Dec 18, 2017!

Just curious, why does one choose to run barefoot? I finished my first marathon near a woman who had run the race literally barefoot! I don’t understand. I like the cushiest shoes out there, LOL, and don’t even like the racing flat styles. But I’ve also run alongside one of those members of the tribe that runs ultras and he ran in his sandals.

Not judging, just wanting to know! Why barefoot?

Hey everyone.
Before I had my kiddo and gained a bunch, I started running barefoot (with Vibrams.) I have gotten back into running buuut can't afford new vibrams.
When I typed barefoot into Amazon, they came back with Water shoes. Has anyone run in these? Is it similar to a barefoot shoe? I know they won't last as long but I'm ok seeing as they're cheap.
RNY Dec 18, 2017!

I have 4 pairs of Vibrams. Love them. Even my son has become a Vibram fan.
I keep an eye on websites like Woot.com
They occasionally have clearance specials.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

The Water shoes may slip right off while running, happened to me and I was just running from my car to my house while it was raining one day... Go figure

19 hours ago, Real California April said:

Hey everyone.

RNY Dec 18, 2017!

I give it up to anyone that can run barefoot. How far can you run in this type of shoe?

Just curious, why does one choose to run barefoot? I finished my first marathon near a woman who had run the race literally barefoot! I don’t understand. I like the cushiest shoes out there, LOL, and don’t even like the racing flat styles. But I’ve also run alongside one of those members of the tribe that runs ultras and he ran in his sandals.

Supposedly better form and such. It forces you to not strike with your heel, for example. While a shoe can soften the blow.

My favorite reason is easy cleaning lol.

RNY Dec 18, 2017!

I have some of those Water shoes from Amazon and used them to run on the beach. They worked great for that as well as walking / hiking. On firmer surfaces they were fine for walking, I did not try running on them on pavement. They do have quite a bit of cushion and if sized right don't move on your foot at all so they may be ok. I suspect they don't have great arch support, so that could be an issue if you needed it.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:07 AM, jess9395 said:

Because typical athletic shoes atrophy much of the feet. The feet are such an important part of the body of the bipedal human. They are essential for so many sports. The one I am most familiar with is gymnastics. They have to be barefoot to make use of our wonderful feet, for strength and balance. Having strong useful feet is wonderful. Having encased weak feet coated with packaging isn’t. Worst: hobbled feet in high heels having to walk like a wounded cow because some designer told you that was pretty. To me 4” heels are like ancient Chinese foot binding.

So barefoot style sport shoes give your feet the basic protection they need from bee stings and broken glass and hot or cold surfaces, but allow the foot to be like all the other parts of the lower body, growing stronger and more functional, not splinted and atrophying in those stiff shoes.

All problems podiatrists have to solve are from shoes. Foot protection should work for the feet; feet shouldn’t be subservient to shoes.

I appreciate your explanation.

I am sure a lot of that is true, but.... I am always careful about statements that include absolutes.

All problems podiatrists deal with are not related to shoes. Some are related to diabeties (my mother in law)some to genetic issues (my Daughter has elers Danlos syndrome and feet issues) some to rheumatological or autoimmune issues. My son saw a podiatrist when he broke a foot bone while barefoot (“dancers fracture”).

I run and my shoes are very carefully selected for my personal biomechanics. Those biomechanics were undoubtedly affected by years of obesity.

But I’m glad to hear what works for you! Your gymnast example is quite appropriate! I can see how having the hectic feedback and utilizing all those tiny muscles for micro adjustments would definitely be beneficial in many circumstances and I know full well the problems the wrong shoes can cause!

Thanks for sharing!

I've read professional runners say that after they tossed their shoes and began running barefoot, they have been injury free. I would have thought the opposite!