Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 post op. Dizzy and flemmy

Hey guys, I'm on quite alot of drugs atm so sorry if there's any confusion with what I'm saying or God awful spelling mistakes

Basically I had the gastric sleeve on 08/02/18 and despite being in agony in recovery with indegestion and heart burn for the first 2 hours, everything has been going pretty well.

I've had 0 gas pains, been able to keep everything down, my incisions look great and I was discharged after one night.

I have usually been having around 4 sleeps during the day and night but yesterday I was having visitors so kept myself awake all day and decided I can have a nice long sleep for the first time since being discharged.

Well I ended up sleeping a little too much (around ten hours) and woke up shaking, nauseous, and very dizzy with a high temperature. I sat myself up and kept sipping Water before dragging myself to the toilet which was a bit of a struggle.

I also noticed my mouth tasted of blood. There was no blood but just green discharge from my throat which I have been coughing up since day one, another small concern.

Anyway after sip sip sipping my water I felt much better. I've now took my medication also and am starting to feel back to normal. Was all this because I slept too much and therefore went too long without any water and meds? Is short naps throughout the day and night safer? I'm going to be forcing my naps now lol.

Another thing I've noticed is I am now on my period. This is weird for me because the cerelle pill I'm taking had stopped me from having periods. This is my first one in 7 months and the fact its happened now seems either a little weird or just very unlucky lol.

Could I also ask how everyone's legs felt after surgery? I have to keep my stockings on for a week now and I'm walking good but to the touch my legs feel like they're bruised. (terrified of blood clots)

Now I know there is such thing as Google lol, but unfortunately I have quite bad anxiety and paranoia and have placed myself on a Google ban, because I will make myself ill with worry and assume this is the end for me

If none of this sounds normal to any of you I will give my surgeon a call, but it's very hard to tell whether I'm worrying over nothing or not.

Thanks so much, this forum is a life saver

Louise xxx

Instagram: @jeez_sleevedlouise

Sleeved 8th Feb 2018

HW 238.6

SW 222.6

CW 222.2

GW 138

Welcome and congratulations on your surgery. Your date of surgery through me for a loop for a minute but then I figured it out. In Europe 08/02/18 is February 8, 2018. In the States it would normally mean August 2, 2018.

It is important to keep on the TED stockings because they help to minimize the possibility of blood clots. These stocking should be worn until you activity returns back to normal.

It is common to bruise after surgery. One of the reason why is because you are probably taking a blood thinner. You will bruise easily and the bruised will stay on your body for awhile. I remember for the first month, I looked horrible.

Being dizzy when you first get up is a sign of low blood pressure. It is called orthostatic hypotension. It just means that when you shift from lying down or sitting to standing, your blood pressure drops and you momentarily feel a little woozy. That's because blood pools in your legs temporarily when you stand up, and it takes the body a moment to compensate by squeezing blood out of the large veins in your legs and revving up the heart a bit.

According to the internet:

How to ward off wooziness

If lightheadedness when changing position is mild or occasional, you can take some practical steps to prevent it:

Check medications. A variety of medications can lower blood pressure. "That contributes to a remarkable number of cases that I see," Dr. Ruff says. It can help to lower doses or stop taking medications that you don't absolutely need—after consulting with your doctor, of course.

Get adequate fluids. Another common trigger is dehydration. Your blood is mostly Water, and the volume in your system can drop overnight and lower your blood pressure. This helps explain why dizziness upon rising from bed is so common. Drinking a lot of water before bedtime is not the best solution, since it can send you racing to the bathroom at night. Wait until you are up and around to start taking fluids, and get enough throughout the day.

Rise slowly. After sleeping, sitting for an extended period, or eating a full meal, take your time rising to a standing position. It may help to clench your leg muscles before standing to push the pooled blood into your system.

Change your eating habits. If dizziness strikes after meals, try eating smaller but more frequent meals. It may also help to limit how many rapidly digested carbohydrates you eat in one sitting, such as white bread and other foods made with highly refined flour, white rice, potatoes, and sugary beverages.

Get moving. A bit of light exercise in the morning can also help to get the blood moving and your blood pressure up. Also, avoid standing in place or sitting for too long, because this increases pooling of blood in the legs.

So from my perspective, make sure you are taking enough fluids and electrolytes (because a lack of some minerals can cause this condition). If you were on high blood pressure medicine prior to surgery, you may want to check with your doctor and reduce the amount you are taking.

Welcome and congratulations on your surgery. Your date of surgery through me for a loop for a minute but then I figured it out. In Europe 08/02/18 is February 8, 2018. In the States it would normally mean August 2, 2018.
It is important to keep on the TED stockings because they help to minimize the possibility of blood clots. These stocking should be worn until you activity returns back to normal.
It is common to bruise after surgery. One of the reason why is because you are probably taking a blood thinner. You will bruise easily and the bruised will stay on your body for awhile. I remember for the first month, I looked horrible.
Being dizzy when you first get up is a sign of low blood pressure. It is called orthostatic hypotension. It just means that when you shift from lying down or sitting to standing, your blood pressure drops and you momentarily feel a little woozy. That's because blood pools in your legs temporarily when you stand up, and it takes the body a moment to compensate by squeezing blood out of the large veins in your legs and revving up the heart a bit.
According to the internet:
How to ward off wooziness
If lightheadedness when changing position is mild or occasional, you can take some practical steps to prevent it:
Check medications. A variety of medications can lower blood pressure. "That contributes to a remarkable number of cases that I see," Dr. Ruff says. It can help to lower doses or stop taking medications that you don't absolutely need—after consulting with your doctor, of course.
Get adequate fluids. Another common trigger is dehydration. Your blood is mostly Water, and the volume in your system can drop overnight and lower your blood pressure. This helps explain why dizziness upon rising from bed is so common. Drinking a lot of Water before bedtime is not the best solution, since it can send you racing to the bathroom at night. Wait until you are up and around to start taking fluids, and get enough throughout the day.
Rise slowly. After sleeping, sitting for an extended period, or eating a full meal, take your time rising to a standing position. It may help to clench your leg muscles before standing to push the pooled blood into your system.
Change your eating habits. If dizziness strikes after meals, try eating smaller but more frequent meals. It may also help to limit how many rapidly digested carbohydrates you eat in one sitting, such as white bread and other foods made with highly refined flour, white rice, potatoes, and sugary beverages.
Get moving. A bit of light exercise in the morning can also help to get the blood moving and your blood pressure up. Also, avoid standing in place or sitting for too long, because this increases pooling of blood in the legs.
So from my perspective, make sure you are taking enough fluids and electrolytes (because a lack of some minerals can cause this condition). If you were on high blood pressure medicine prior to surgery, you may want to check with your doctor and reduce the amount you are taking.

What an amazing response thank you so much. That has made me feel loads better! Yeah I always think about changing the date around to suit the US style as I know the majority of people on here are from there, but since I've already changed my weight to pounds from stones I thought I better keep something uk . I ended up calling the nurse and completely forgot to tell her about the dizzy spell so your comment has been extra helpful, thank you again and looking forward to joining everyone in their success!

Instagram: @jeez_sleevedlouise
Sleeved 8th Feb 2018
HW 238.6
SW 222.6
CW 222.2
GW 138