Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Key about Surgery

I got the call I have been waiting for today.. match 14th I get this surgery.

I am 28 years old and my fiancé is my complete support system. My parents are more in the old school frame of mind and think I’m being ridiculous. So it’s been hard in that aspect. I have told most of my friends about the surgery but I am being selective because I feel like there is a lot of unwanted opinion when it come to weight loss surgery. I am not ashamed of wanting to better myself, but I am trying to keep it low key. Anyone else in the same boat? What do you tell people when you start to loose the weight?

I tell people who don't know that I'm eating smaller portions and working out more. Honestly, I've only had a couple people ask, so it hasn't been difficult.

I'm keeping it low key as well. My parents and sisters know, my husband of course and a few select friends. That's all I plan to tell. I just feel like it's not their business.

I am getting mine done march 12th. I told my husband and my parents and that is all. Hoping to keep it al low key as possible. I'm only taking a week off work. Telling work I have a busy week with the kids[emoji51]

Im the same. I only told my partner and my sister. Its not that i care for people to know i just don't want to broadcast it. I told one friend and it was just a negative vibe and stories she heard. I just dont want to hear all of that. I dont expect people to understand especially if they havent struggled the way i have with my weight. Im trying to figure ways to tell my job about the week off i am going to take off i dont care for any one at the work place to know my business. Def going to follow this thread to see what people say.

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal mobile app

Same boat! I told my hubby, my mom (who I had to explain a lot till she realized I wasn't just/could jumping in. I told my bestie who lost over 100 on her own and it was awkward, she was supportive but I could almost read the thoughts in her mind. When I told my sister all I got at first was "hmmmm". I found out last night one of my friends on FB had it done, never knew that so I have been chatting with her and someone I know that went through it and it helps. I just found this app today and I can't begin to tell you how much it's helping! :) good luck!!!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using BariatricPal mobile app

I've told family and close friends and I have gotten some of the negative feedback- "your weight doesn't define you" "you just need to stick to a diet" "I've heard your hair will fall out" "you'll have to be really careful with your birth control because you'll be so fertile and then if you get pregnant that's really bad and you'll gain it all back". I kinda regret telling some of the people I have and honestly my biggest nay-sayers are the people in my life that are heavier than I am and that do not have the insurance/money/dedication to have the surgery themselves so I think they're trying to keep me in the fat club with them. Anyway, shake them haters off!

Luella [emoji5]

I'm getting the SIPS surgery on 2/14, and I'm planning to stay low key about this as well. My husband and mom know. I will not be telling anyone else at all, maybe my kids, but not now. This is a tool that helps us to ultimately do what everyone else does that successfully loses weight and that is to eat less and exercise more. I personally don't think I have to insert for the world that, oh yeah, I got sleeved. Anyone asks me about how I'm losing weight, I'm literally telling them that I'm eating less and exercising more.

It’s all very personal. I didn’t have that luxury of keeping it quite because I am the surgery scheduler for the hospital I work at and had my procedure at. Most conversations at work post-op are about my weight, how much I’ve lost, what I eat and how much... it gets very tiresome. Good to keep things in your inner circle. Those of you taking only one week off should consider using FMLA if you have it and having the option to take more than a week to heal and rest. You’ll need that time. JMO

Roux 12.18.17
SW 312
CW 245
GW 170

With my surgery date quickly approaching, the people who do know are critics or super supportive. I live with my best friend. When it was an idea she was on board. Now that I have my date, it’s like she would rather talk about anything else. Because of the negative energy I get from her I have been trying to find good vibes from any place I can and cautiously branching out, as I don’t want my business out there. I found a woman at work who has been my Guardian angel! She had the surgery 12 years ago and couldn’t be more happy for me. I’m slowing building a support system.

With my surgery date quickly approaching, the people who do know are critics or super supportive. I live with my best friend. When it was an idea she was on board. Now that I have my date, it’s like she would rather talk about anything else. Because of the negative energy I get from her I have been trying to find good vibes from any place I can and cautiously branching out, as I don’t want my business out there. I found a woman at work who has been my Guardian angel! She had the surgery 12 years ago and couldn’t be more happy for me. I’m slowing building a support system.

I don't know why people get weird about it. I have just told my boss because of being off and my immediate family. Some said I shouldn't do it but I told them I would rather do it than die in 10 years or less with my BP issues. That usually shuts them up [emoji3] do what makes u happy 🤗

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was dreading telling my husband...then my dr recommended the surgery for PCOS so then I felt better. He is deployed so that was an awkward texting conversation lol. Maybe I’ll be the BEST version of me when October rolls around! [emoji177][emoji631]

My brother and husband know and about 3 choice friends. I haven't even told my bestie because she freaks out every time she hears someone mention wls - someone's relative like 20 years ago had nasty complications and it's stuck in her head. It's no one's business. My boss knows I had surgery and wished me well. I told a few coworkers I had a hiatal hernia and am using the recovery period to work with my dietitian (who I started seeing last summer in the pre-op period, but they don't know that's the reason) to completely rework my eating habits so I can continue to lose weight post surgery. That's not completely a lie..... Even when I checked into the hospital - I ran into one of my husband's friends whose wife was having surgery same day. I don't know what she had, she doesn't know what I had. We just text to ask how recovery is going. My medical choices are mine and no one's business.