Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

most ignorant reply

God love all the sweet little grandmas...... That was just precious. My family just thinks it's a fate worse than death not to be able to drink anything carbonated. I didn't drink cokes anyway..... Now beer I miss.... but I feel so much better and I miss it less and less all the time.

I took my dad to lunch for his birthday and as we were leaving he said" you wont be able to eat like that again when you get that strap on your belly. " I said " thats the point dad" Or this one before i got banded. my mom said her boss said i shouldn't get the surgery" Right after my surgery i called my mom and she said her boss said if i come our good she might get wls. Whats with people. Like we dont second guess ourselves enough wondering if this is the right thing to do without people trying to scare the crap out of us.

Newbeginnings

jtag...I gave exactly the same response and this was pre-drugs. I mean seriously, why else would I have the surgery? I had lots of money and nothing to spend it on? Thought it might be a fun thing to do? I thought it would eliminate facial hair and wrinkles???

Thankfully, the nurse laughed...and said 'Best answer yet'. Oddly enough she didn't respond when I asked why she would ask such a question.

From reading the above posts, this has confirmed that not telling anyone (other than DH) was the right decision for me. I wouldn't have the patience to respond with eloqunce and calmness, and my tolerance for fools is..well,...limited.

When I first heard about lapband and was discussing it and other WLS options with my husband, he told me that one of his co-workers was getting RnY. So he told her that I was thinking about it and she said "She is not fat enough for WLS." Now I have only seen this woman a few times, so how would she know? I am 100 pounds overweight. How fat is fat enough for you? And she went on the belittle the lapband, saying that it didn't work, it was a "fad," et cetera. Wow, thanks for your support. Needless to say, I have asked my DH not to discuss anything like that with her anymore!

Insensitive comments are just part of why I have kept knowledge of my band to just a few people. My family has seen me do the lose weight/regain cycle for years, which I'm thinking is why they haven't commented on my loss so far...:biggrin:

When I watched Big Medicine last night, they showed a girl getting lap-band.. and she was talking about her decision to get it, and she said "It's not permanent". Hum.. I don't know if she meant, if something happened she could have it removed, but it IS permanent! That's hard for my family to wrap their brains around too.. They keep thinking I'll want it out later in life. But why? My life isn't horrible because I can only eat small portions now.. Guess when everyone has the gorge mentality, the band is a baffling tool. I'm not suffering or miserable, I'm content with what I have. My g'ma pushed on my port when I was showing them where they moved it.. she thought if you push the port, it's like a button that inflates you..and that I did that at every meal. And she use to be the head nurse. :x

I woulda starting pushing out my stomach like it was filling with air to trick her. "Oh Grandma, what have you done!!!" :biggrin:

When I first heard about lapband and was discussing it and other WLS options with my husband, he told me that one of his co-workers was getting RnY. So he told her that I was thinking about it and she said "She is not fat enough for WLS." Now I have only seen this woman a few times, so how would she know? I am 100 pounds overweight. How fat is fat enough for you? And she went on the belittle the lapband, saying that it didn't work, it was a "fad," et cetera. Wow, thanks for your support. Needless to say, I have asked my DH not to discuss anything like that with her anymore!

Insensitive comments are just part of why I have kept knowledge of my band to just a few people. My family has seen me do the lose weight/regain cycle for years, which I'm thinking is why they haven't commented on my loss so far...:biggrin:

I've been told by friends that I'm not fat enough for the band too. My BMI is almost at 40, so technically I'm morbidly obese! :lol:

My mom told my grandma about my surgery, and my grandma replied with, "Why doesn't she just wear a girdle?"

Nice.

This isn't a comment on the surgery but it still drives me crazy - every time we have a family gathering/holiday get together or whatever, my mother in law calls and asks what she can serve that I can eat. This is despite my repeatedly explaining the band to her and her reading every entry in my blog which also explains everything. I keep telling her I can eat normal food like everyone else, just not as much, but she just doesn't get it. Another person thought my port stuck out of my skin like a chemo port and expressed disgust at having that sticking out of my body.

jtag10_4 Oh my gosh, that was funny and I'm not under the influence! What a perfect response!

So I was reading this thread and eveyones comments and thought, "I probably won't get stupid repsonses like these until after surgery (I am still completing all of my pre-op steps). Well, was I wrong! At work today I was talking to my 2 bosses about needing to take time off for surgery and my assistant manager says "I've got a better solution for you, instead of getting a rubberband put on your stomach, just have one put around your tounge?" And as if that wasn't dumb enough, my manager then replies "No really, why don't you just have your jaw wired shut?" I think people really believe that the band is supposed to be removed after weight loss!

Another person thought my port stuck out of my skin like a chemo port and expressed disgust at having that sticking out of my body.

Do you also have a terrible problem with shower scum build up on your port? Sheesh... glad I'm not the only one. ;o)

My chiropractor told me to live with him for 4 mos and he would make sure I lose all the weight. He's very athletic and I'm sure he would be a really hard personal trainer, however, I have a life. What would I tell my husband, kids and boss? Not to mention his wife and kids! LOL He has since been very supportive of my decision to be banded.

My good friend Dawn is banded and she's also 8 months pregnant and this weekend was opening of Scarborough faire (we go to faire together) and she had gotten down to her goal of 135 before getting pregnant, but has gained about 60 with the pregnancy and this one girl that we both know came up to her and said, "awee, you lost all that weight, only to gain it back again.. what a shame". I just about wanted to knock her out! HELLO! she's pregnant! 8 months pregnant at that!! AND, she had just written a blog about being tired of the fat comments people have been making to her. So sad... makes me realize that no matter what weight we are, we will get picked on.. hell, even being pregnant.. when she was 135 people made fun of her for being too "skinny" and "anorexic looking". Depressing.