Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First day of pre-op liquid diet and everything tastes bad...what is going on?

This is my second question in 2 days but I'm at a loss at what to do. I started the pre-op all liquid diet today, which I will do for two weeks before my surgery. I drank 60 oz. of Protein Shake and completed my Water intake. Here's what I don't understand....my husband and I were getting dinner ready and I opened a carton of chicken broth because that was what I was going to have for dinner. I thought it smelled terrible, he thought it was fine. I sat down to eat it and it tasted terrible! The rest of my family tasted it and said it was fine. I'm allowed sugar free pudding for a snack so my son got me one to try. I could barely swallow it. I thought it tasted terrible. Then he got me a chocolate one and that too tasted horrible to me!!!! This was my FIRST day of the pre-op liquid diet. I was somewhat nervous today but I don't understand the whole food thing. I know they say sometimes AFTER the surgery foods may taste different or seem less appealing but why is it happening now? Has anybody else had this? Is the taste thing all in my head because I'm nervous about the surgery? I would love any opinions any of you may have. I don't want to second-guess this...HELP!!

Some of the choices we have during all-liquid phases aren't very good, to be honest. I had a couple of spoonfuls of Bone Broth and thought it was disgusting, even though I was wanting something savory instead of sweet. I'd suggest just trying the things you're allowed and sticking to whatever you can stand--put the other things aside until after your surgery, then try them again. But if you don't like it, don't eat it. As long as you're getting your Protein and Water, the rest doesn't matter. Have you tried sugar-free popsicles or fudgesicles? Jello? Protein water? (particularly helpful if you get sick of the shakes).

If you find that nothing tastes right or acceptable or bearable, talk to your medical team. But if it's a few items, ignore them and move on.

Good luck!

Sometimes in the first few days weird things happen. A bad headache, off tastes etc. push through if you can and in a couple days it gets much better.

Thank you! I didn't think anyone would comment because it sounds so crazy. Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it! I'm going to try some Tomato Soup tonight and see how that is. I forgot to pick up popsicles but I will definitely do that tomorrow. Thanks again...:)

I just had my sleeve done Monday 1/22/18 and I share the same experience with the taste of things after surgery. For the two days I was in the hospital they gave me sugar free Jello, a sugar free Popsicle and hot or cold tea for all 3 meals I took a bite of the Popsicle on the first day and thought it was disgusting. I ate nothing the entire time I was in the hospital. This seems to be easing up as the first few days go by. Bland seems to be better at this point. I've been having a tough time with cramps when I drink Water with crystal light even if I take the smallest sips so today I'm just going to do water with no flavoring.