Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Gastric Sleeve and I’m scared!

You sound just like me! I'm having surgery Feb 7th and I'm scared to death! I'm not a "young sleever" but I know exactly how you feel. I started going through the process of having the surgery about 6 years ago and I backed out. Boy, do I wish I could go back and change that decision. Other people have read my post about being afraid and were very helpful. I feel much better now. Also, I had my gallbladder removed and had gas pains after the surgery. But nothing that you can't get through if you have them. You got this!! Just stay positive and get through it one day at a time. That's what someone told me so that's what I'm doing. I think it's great advice....not easy, but still great advice. You are going to do great and so am I!:)

On 1/24/2018 at 10:11 AM, KrystalRose said:

Hello everyone. I’m having my surgery for gastric sleeve on Jan 30th and i am absolutely terrified ! I’ve been going through the process for about 5 months now so I thought I would be prepared but now that the date it approaching I’m so scared!! I know it’s normal to feel scared about any kind of surgery. I guess I’m worried about feeling any kind of pain. I’ve heard of the gas pains you can get after surgery. I just want to get the actual surgery over with! I’m excited for the results down the line though :) I’m 5’4 and starting weight is 235lbs. I am 22 years young and I wanna live my life! My weight has definitely prevented me from doing so many things so of course I am excited to get sleeved. Just nervous about having the surgery. Thank you all for reading and any comments are welcomed but please be kind to one another ❤️ Would love some support and to hear anyone else’s stories.

I had my surgery on 12/21/2017 and I was also prepared and a little anxious. I was one of a group of about 8 who had it done and my surprise was how little discomfort I felt. The others were the same. We were all up and walking hours after surgery. The first day on ice chips is hard but after that it gets steadily better. Buy some Gas-X for the gas pains and you won't have issues. Even the gas pains were manageable and not worse than what I've experienced eating too much before sleeve surgery.

Really, you're going to be thrilled when you've had surgery and discover it's not half as bad as you anticipated and your new life begins. Good luck!

I had my sleeve surgery 1/11/18. Waking up, I didn't feel any pain at all. The hospital blankets were warm and it was like waking from a nice nap. I felt great and was up walking around within hours. The only pain I felt was getting in and out of the hospital bed (using abdominal muscles) but it was manageable. Coming home still wasn't painful. However, once I got home, the pain started. The narcotic pain meds did nothing to help. Eventually I realized that I only felt pain when standing and walking. At my 1-week post-op, my doctor said it was muscle pain from cutting through 2 layers of muscle. So, I minimized my time on my feet to give my muscles a chance to heal. Whenever I do walk around, I wear a maternity support belt to support my tummy--what a life saver!! Now, my pain is minimal even when walking. I take Tylenol as needed, which isn't often. My advice is to take it easy and try not to overdo it. I was so inspired by people's stories of quick recovery that I tried to do too much too soon and that caused a lot of pain. Go slow, take it easy, and you'll be fine!

I had the surgery on the 1/23/18...absolutely no pain from surgery to today ....even went to work today...hardest part getting in the amount of Protein and water...good luck

On 1/25/2018 at 1:27 PM, ~Primrose~ said:

You sound just like me! I'm having surgery Feb 7th and I'm scared to death! I'm not a "young sleever" but I know exactly how you feel. I started going through the process of having the surgery about 6 years ago and I backed out. Boy, do I wish I could go back and change that decision. Other people have read my post about being afraid and were very helpful. I feel much better now. Also, I had my gallbladder removed and had gas pains after the surgery. But nothing that you can't get through if you have them. You got this!! Just stay positive and get through it one day at a time. That's what someone told me so that's what I'm doing. I think it's great advice....not easy, but still great advice. You are going to do great and so am I!:)

You got this!

Don't be afraid of the pain! They will give you stuff to help control it. I was just sleeved this week, 1/23, and woke up with minimal pain. I did experience the proverbial gas pain in my upper left shoulder and had a bit across my mid abdomen once or twice, but that pain button at the hospital took care of that right away. Most pain is from getting out of bed. Now that I'm home, I barely have any pain at all. My major irritation is itchiness from where my spare tire hangs and from the adhesive from the bandages. I went home with a drain (not everyone does I believe) and my skin really doesn't love adhesives. But I've only taken one child's dose of tylenol today and we're good to go. Just make sure to walk around to break up the gas.

I posted almost the exact same thing a week before my surgery- 12/4. I was 100% determined and convinced through the 5 month process that this was right for me AND then I freaked out 7 days before. Luckily, I came to my senses bc I realized it was the best thing I could ever do for myself. I'm almost 8 weeks post op and down 40 pounds and it's an unbelievable feeling.

I'd imagine your recovery will go well especially since you are so young. I'm 34 and I was walking around the hospital floor the same night I had the surgery. You will definitely have pain bc duh.. it's surgery but like some else said-- take the drugs lol. I was feeling fine the next day and even left the hospital early.

At home, I did have the left shoulder gas pain which is a pain in the a**, but it only lasted a few days for me. They recommended liquid gas-x to me. Other than that just minor physical inconveniences and being tired from healing.

The hard part for me has been figuring out how much and what to eat and making sure I get my Protein and Water intake -- but I manage and I'm learning. Best part is no hunger!!!! And of course losing the weight. :)

Good Luck!!! 💕💕

One thing the posts so far should indicate is that individual experiences differ--but you'll note that no-one is saying they had horrible pain or that they regret having the surgery. For me, the only pain I had was the first five minutes or so after I woke up. After that, the pain meds kicked in and there was none, literally. I got up and walked. Had no gas issues. Went home the next day. Took it easy; took the pain meds for a few days, and then realized I was being silly--didn't need them.

Much worse, in my opinion, was the first month or so before you can eat solid food. I got so sick of sweet-tasting shakes! So my advice is to try whatever you are allowed to try and drink what you like, as long as you are getting your Protein. I recommend protein Water (e.g., Protein2o or Atkins LIFT) as a good option, though you may have to buy it online. Still using that almost five months post-op.

Good luck!

I think everyone has that feeling. It’s surgery, and surgery is a scary thing. But, this surgery is a very positive thing for you - life changing.

As for the gas, it’s not so bad at all. Gas-x strips help the gas greatly. Also, I learned from a forum about drinking liquids following surgery out of a kids sippy cup, this was a great idea. It allowed for smaller sips without taking in any additional air into your gut. It works well. So, good luck! Just follow the diet and get in your walking after surgery. You got this!

Compared to my Gal-bladder surgery & hernia repair surgery this surgery is not even comparable! I woke up feeling almost no pain & the other surgeries were excruciating! If it’s surgery itself your worried about this one is more like a procedure & really is a walk in the park!

To every single person who took the time to write a comment thank you so much. The response I got was just so overwhelming. I am so appreciative. I didn’t even think I would’ve gotten so many replies. I read the though each and every comment and I see seriously want to thank each and every one of you for the support and all the advice. I feel so confident going into this now. I still do have some bit of anxiety but I do feel better than before. I can’t wait to give you all an update! Thank you all again. Best wishes to you all!