Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I’m at my wit’s end. I track my food religiously on my app and consume between 1100 and 1300/day. Usually 1100. I cannot lose weight. I’m considering gastric sleeve. If bariatric surgery is about calorie restriction and I’m already restricting my calories, will this work? My BMI is within the obesity range.

Thanks...

I'm 5 weeks out from a sleeve and eating around 1100 a day, though almost no carbs. Do you have anything hormonal going on? How long have you been at that calorie level? Water weight fluctuation can hide the weight loss over a couple weeks. The surgery offers restriction, but also helps eliminate hunger temporarily.

3 hours ago, ElseeG said:

Hi. I’m at my wit’s end. I track my food religiously on my app and consume between 1100 and 1300/day. Usually 1100. I cannot lose weight. I’m considering gastric sleeve. If bariatric surgery is about calorie restriction and I’m already restricting my calories, will this work? My BMI is within the obesity range.

Thanks...

Weight Loss was always hard on my own. I struggled with weight loss for years. I needed something that would work long term Like @Losebig check to see if its a medical reason with your Dr.

Yes, you will lose weight with the sleeve. Bariatrics is more than calorie restriction. You have to eat your meal plan (high Protein and low carb) and exercise.

Are you using paper or an App to track your food?

Drinking lots of Water?

walking/exercise?

Are you eating high protein and low carb?

Hi Jenn1 -

I eat low carb, moderate Protein and moderate vegetables. Rarely have dessert. Don't keep chips, sodas, cheese or Cookies in the house (or I'd eat them). A typical day is 1100-1200/day. A bad day is 1300 and a day not worth even counting is Thanksgiving/Christmas. I drink Water all day at work. I get zero exercise (down from 2 hours of vinyasa yoga and walking several miles a week and going to the gym (before I had two kids). I've had my thyroid checked (normal). I'm not in menopause yet. I'm seeing an endocrinologist who specializes in weight loss, and I have a follow up with her in a week. She ran full bloods, and other than elevated triglycerides, everything is normal. The only things I can think of are the lithium I take for BP II and lack of exercise. That said, it would take monumental amounts of exercise to make a dent in this situation.

My layperson's opinion questions whether gastric sleeve could turn this ship around… :-(

Are you measuring your food and portions? I didn’t think I ate that much salad until I realized my portions were out of whack.

Generally, yes. Holidays are a different story, though.

I've been staying away from the chopped salads from the local deli near the office because although it is spinach, grilled chicken, chick peas and tomatoes, they are rather large. No cheese. No croutons, etc. Dressing is always fat free.

Today I've had:

one 2% yogurt

2 egg omelet with onions, Tomato and zucchini (no cheese. no ham)

2 oz grilled turkey breast

1 slice whole wheat bread (no butter)

1 bowl of steamed spinach with balsamic vinegar (no oil)

I am cutting wine out entirely next. The one vice I have left.

I'm at my wit's end. I can only think it's the lithium. My doctor has now prescribed Topomax as an appetite suppressant. I won't mess with the lithium.

20 hours ago, ElseeG said:

Hi Jenn1 -

I eat low carb, moderate Protein and moderate vegetables. Rarely have dessert. Don't keep chips, sodas, cheese or Cookies in the house (or I'd eat them). A typical day is 1100-1200/day. A bad day is 1300 and a day not worth even counting is Thanksgiving/Christmas. I drink Water all day at work. I get zero exercise (down from 2 hours of vinyasa yoga and walking several miles a week and going to the gym (before I had two kids). I've had my thyroid checked (normal). I'm not in menopause yet. I'm seeing an endocrinologist who specializes in weight loss, and I have a follow up with her in a week. She ran full bloods, and other than elevated triglycerides, everything is normal. The only things I can think of are the lithium I take for BP II and lack of exercise. That said, it would take monumental amounts of exercise to make a dent in this situation.

My layperson's opinion questions whether gastric sleeve could turn this ship around… :-(

I'm sorry you are struggling. I think your question if the sleeve is going to work for you ..That may be a question between you and your surgeon. Also..there are other bariatric surgeries that he/she may suggest.

This is just my personal experience...It may not apply to your situation.

At 1300 calories my Protein goal is 130 grams minimum. I am more high protein low carb. I feel more satisfied/full when I eat. After 30 we all start losing muscle...I'm an old fart. I'm trying to keep or build muscle.

My body type and exercise....Holy hell..If I don't exercise the scale does not move. I was a true couch potato. I hated exercise...I was not motivated to do it. I had to sign paperwork saying I was committed to an hour of walking. I did it because it was a requirement to have surgery. I had no motivation...I had to give myself perspective...

Everyday that I had to force myself to go to the gym ....I said to myself, A military veteran that is sitting in a wheelchair would gladly trade places with me.....They would give anything to go for a walk.....

at 254 I could walk for a half hour and that was it...I was out of breath. But, I did it consistently five days a week. I got stronger and started walking my full hour.

There is no way I could do monumental exercise...I had to start small...I parked further away from the store to walk. I took the stairs instead of the elevator.

I'm three years out and you will never know where WLS will take you...I never thought of myself as a fit or athletic person. I do now...The gym is my replacement for stress and emotional eating..Its where I process all lifes baggage to move forward...