Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obama forgets to salute flag...........

I hear ya, Elenation. Actually we do have a really big problem with our armed forces being so beaten down and depleted from this war. No one wants to reinstate the draft and I'm sure people would be totally up in arms about it if someone suggested it.

Some of the reasons that people are diving out of the military instead of staying in is because of the way that they have been treated and the way that they have been taken advantage of. These people haven't done one tour in Iraq, they've done numerous tours. And they are not all regular Army or Air Force - many of them are "reserves". Why should anyone choose the armed forces as a career when we treat them this way?

NOT giving our veterans help to go to college after their tours isn't going to discourage them from staying in. That's a crock! IMHO If we offer them help to get their degrees while they're in, that's an incentive to stay in. If we treat them better while they're in, they're more likely to stay in and make it a career. If we make it look attractive to our young people to make it a worthwhile career, then we won't have such a huge problem on our hands.

By NOT offering educational help to people who have finished their commitment to our country, you aren't incentivizing those people to choose the armed forces as a career, you're treating them the way they were promised they would be treated. Giving them help to get their degrees only helps those people who already gave their time and did their duty for this country. Those who never intended to make it a career will probably be getting out, no matter what...

unless as I said above, it is made into a job that ensures that they can be respected, make a good living for themselves and their families, and be treated fairly when they are expected to do an unpleasant job in the line of fire.

The fact that we needed to employ mercenaries to do some of the jobs in Iraq says a whole lot about retention of our military and how we have treated our young people who agreed to do their duty for their country, and who have been misled and lied to by our government.

P.S. Saying they want to come up with a better plan is a usual tactic. They mess with it long enough and the media goes onto something else. Then it never actually gets done. Once again, are you going to believe what they're sayin' or are you gonna believe your lyin' eyes?

My brother for one had intended to spend his career in the Marines until he got in the vicious Iraq cycle. Thank goodness he's come out alive from his numerous tours and is now living in Los Angeles with his girlfriend.

We'll never know why, but he just quit.

I hear you BJ, and I agree with much of what you are saying . I believe that GI Bill is a generous one and has a comprehensive education benefits package though, but there will always be room for improvement to help and honor our military/vets and most definitely I'm for it, but this is an issue that needs to be budgeted like everything else.

Edited by ELENATION

Yes, I know it wouldn't be free, Elenation. But when you look at all the things that we spend money on, this is a tiny little drop in the bucket. That's why you didn't hear McCain saying that he's against it because it would cost too much.

LilMissB.A., I hope you posted your last sentence tongue firmly implanted in your cheek.

I am really pleased to know your bro survived his tours and is living (happily I hope) with his significant other in L.A.

P.S. I hope if you think of it and get a chance, you'll tell him that many of us here at LBT are grateful for the job he did and we are very proud of him.

Yes, I know it wouldn't be free, Elenation. But when you look at all the things that we spend money on, this is a tiny little drop in the bucket. That's why you didn't hear McCain saying that he's against it because it would cost too much.

Yes I know and I understand, but I don't think that's why McCain didn't say he was against that part of the bill "because of how much it would cost", I honestly believe that he was taking everything into consideration before he fully agreed with that part of the bill or considered other incentives instead, I'm sorry, but I don't believe his intentions were to hurt the military/veterans and mainly because he is a veteran himself, plus the fact that agreeing with every detail of the bill and just going with it would've been much easier and popular for him right now , but instead he was honest about the way he felt and he is proposing other incentives which can be as good and at the same time will encourage our military personal to join and stay in the military, it does makes sense to me IMHO. I'm not sure if the outcome would have been perfect or not, but I do believe the intention was honest.

Edited by ELENATION

Well, this war has been budgeted, whether we agree with the budget is a different story , the cost of this war has been high, but during other major conflicts in history the relative cost has been as high.

LilMissB.A., I hope you posted your last sentence tongue firmly implanted in your cheek.

I am really pleased to know your bro survived his tours and is living (happily I hope) with his significant other in L.A.

Nope, very serious. He went through a whole year's debriefing process before he even stepped foot back on American soil. He NEVER talks about it. Not even the smallest things.

He used to be such a sweetheart, and while he still is - he goes through these bizarre spells where he'll just go into a depressive state. It's quite sad. :tt1:

But yes, thank goodness he's back, alive.

P.S. I hope if you think of it and get a chance, you'll tell him that many of us here at LBT are grateful for the job he did and we are very proud of him.

Thanks, didn't see this before posting the last one. I will do this. We all do this for him. His intentions were of the very best, but it just didn't work out for him. He was honorably discharged by the way, in case one might have thought otherwise. He served his entire term, with honor.

Nope, very serious. He went through a whole year's debriefing process before he even stepped foot back on American soil. He NEVER talks about it. Not even the smallest things.

He used to be such a sweetheart, and while he still is - he goes through these bizarre spells where he'll just go into a depressive state. It's quite sad. :tt1:

But yes, thank goodness he's back, alive.

Sounds like he suffers from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). My boyfriend is a psychologist at a VA in New York and that is primarily what he treats. Its a very difficult illness, effects every part of your life. Is there a VA in his area, they would be happy to offer counseling for these kinds of things. However, treatment varies from VA to VA so I couldnt say how good the therapists will be. Good luck to him.

Thanks and yes, he does suffer from that. Very badly in fact, and it gets worse at certain times for various reasons.

Anyway, I won't go into that anymore. I don't want to write about his problems, and as someone who cares for him, that's not really fair.

I appreciate all concern.

Thanks and yes, he does suffer from that. Very badly in fact, and it gets worse at certain times for various reasons.

Anyway, I won't go into that anymore. I don't want to write about his problems, and as someone who cares for him, that's not really fair.

I appreciate all concern.

I'm very sorry that he is going through this, it saddens me and I do wish him the best and a full recovery, he sure deserves it.