Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital bag suggestions

Honestly you don't need much. Here is what I took:

• lip balm cause your mouth gets very dry
  • 2 pairs of, soft pjs, but most of the time I was in a hospital gown
  • Toiletries, because you will need a shower.
  • Soft wireless bra to go home in
  • Underwear
  • I wore the same clothes home that I arrived in because I only had them on for an hour, Make sure you take things that are soft around your waist or loose because you will have incision sites there.
  • A pair of slippers that are non slip
  • My phone (cause I used it to read. but honestly I really didn't do much reading
  • A dressing gown because you will be made to get up and walk to help get your blood circulating and get rid of the air they fill you up with
  • Hand cream and face moisturiser

I really didn't need anything else.

I agree with @Laggy

Keep it real simple, and definitely take your most comfortable clothing. They told me to bring a sports bra, but I found even that uncomfortable. If I were doing it again I would maybe take a cami or some other tank top to keep the girls somewhat in place without any pressure on the diaphragm/abdominal area at all.

I forgot the wall outlet for my phone charger and my phone died. That was frustrating as my husband was trying to say goodnight/good morning/should I bring you anything? And I did not know. Also, I too am a big reader, so I wished I had brought my tablet (or Kindle, etc).

I barely slept because the continuous IV fluids you have to get to keep you hydrated until you can drink enough liquids had me getting up twice per hour all night long to go to the bathroom. Even then there was little relief. Actually my full bladder/resulting spasms was the most painful part of my hospital stay.

So yeah, soft, loose, comfy clothes, moisturizing products from head to toe, toothbrush/paste, deodorant, and cell phone w/charger & maybe a tablet/Kindle or favorite book in case you are awake more than you'd like to be :) Good luck!!

I took my tablet with a heap of Netflix downloaded and it was a lifesaver. I arrived at the hospital at 10 and my surgery wasn’t until 5:30 because of some delay so it kept my mind off of everything. It was also good for the day after but remember a charger. Lip balm as well! I wore a loose fitting dress home so there wasn’t anything on my waist. Best of luck!

Our hospital TV had Netflix on it. I had Grey's Anatomy on all night. The nurses were amused about me "being in the hospital and watching a hospital show at the same time"!

Am taking all your suggestions to heart, thought I'd get in touch with all my ' hood from when I lived in Surgery town then stopped think that was close to 30 years ago, those aren't dead the already would,keel over hearing from me in 2018. I'm a reader so may take paperbacks, like the thought of sleeping but they'll like the idea of early ambulation. Plus I have 3 kidneys, yeah a family tradition. Mamma had 1 horseshoe and,1 normal, Daddy had 2 on the right 1 on the left, I am reversed, When I had pancreatitis, another fun condition- imagine someone hit you across your upper abdomen with a concrete 2by6 and then sat on it- they did a cat scan and said you might have a tumor on the left side, nope I said I've seen my KUBs that's the top of my 3rd kidney. FYI they never did find out what caused my pancreatic twitchyness, I don't drink and my gall bladder went bye bye 35 years ago. So I clear urine 1andhalf times as,fast as the average bear as all of them are complete and functioning. We are all strange and wonderfully made as the Bible says, guess it just makes,me-me.Will take my charger cause I play on my smartphone and tablet a lot, I have a hunger for learning, a Jill of all,trades or maybe a know it all. Stay safe and make healthy choices today.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Agree with everyone about the lip balm - something super moisturizing that you like the smell of!

I also took biotene dry throat spray which was a lifesaver for me. My mouth and throat were so dry after the surgery and you can't have Water (I had been put in an oxygen mask so that made it much worse). I also vomited in the car on the way home (my body doesn't react well to anesthesia) and was glad I had brought those puke bags with the round plastic rims. I'd also bring ear plugs and possibly an eye mask - even if you have a private room, hospitals are noisy. Also, bring sanitary pads in case your period randomly starts from the surgery stress (if this is applicable to you).

You do need slippers or shoes that you can put on without bending down so that you can slip them on easily. We had to do at least 10 laps of our hospital ward in order to be discharged. Other than that, take comfy pyjamas - I packed an oversized T-shirt but I didn't have any problem putting on PJ pants and tops. I had no problems with movement after surgery, but loose clothes that are easy to put on are a good idea. A big comfy sweater or thick robe will also hide that you are not wearing a bra as you walk around the hospital. I didn't even put on a bra to leave hospital as there was a little incision under my bust that I didn't want to irritate.

I'd also think about the people you are bringing to the hospital. I told my family, I didn't want to see any crying or behaviour that would stress me out! I told them firmly how I needed them to be supportive. I'm quite the demanding diva!

I went home in the clothes I came in.
Things I actually used:
Hairbrush
Earplugs
Phone
Charger
Chapstick
Things I brought and didn’t use:
Slippers
Pajamas
Bra
Lotion (can’t bend to put it on!)
I was in so much pain despite having an on-q pump that I had the nurses drug me up for the first 36hrs. Then I miraculously turned a corner. I think it was because I took a walk every 3 hours before my next dose of pain meds. But the lady who had her surgery the day after mine had no pain at all and got out of her hospital before me.

I just got out of the hospital on Thursday. I brought way too much, so I would pack light.
As some mentioned before, chapstick or lip balm is something I cannot stress highly enough! A comfy outfit to wear home,a robe to walk the halls and your basic toiletries are pretty much all you need.
Good luck with your surgery and well wishes to a speedy recovery!

I packedmore than I needed. The only things I used were lip balm, phone, phone charger, soft bra and comfy open front sweater. I stayed in my hospital gown, used the hospital socks and they provided all the toiletries I needed. You're only there 1 night and in my case my mom had to carry around my stuff until she could see me post op. Like others, I also wore the same comfortable clothes home.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Lip balm absolutely. Wish I had brought ear plugs because the damn beeping from the automatic vitals machine drove me nuts and kept waking me up when I was trying to sleep. Something for a dry throat - I didn’t bring anything with me, but was given Chloraseptic spray because my throat was so sore. I didn’t bother bringing PJ’s because I was only in the hospital overnight. I did take slippers. I also took my phone and tablet, but really didn’t use either of them. Hand cream was nice to have. Also brought my toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash. I didn’t bother wearing a bra home because of my incisions. I wore very loose, soft leggings and an oversized top. Also: bring a small pillow with you so you can use it to brace your stomach when you cough or sneeze.

@kakatlady612 I can totally picture your talking as I read your post. I even read the post in a vague, undistinguishable, country/southern accent. I’m sure that. I have the accent all wrong. Too cute!

Actually I'm a Buckeye but we're next to West Virginia and Kentucky, I had Virginia and Kentucky Aunts marry into the family, my BFF is from central West Virginia, although I'm not a GRIT- girl raised in the South I'm pretty dang close. Love SpoonBread, Ramps and I'm the only one in my immediate family that eats and loves collard greens. Like grits. But I don't like red eye gravy, just put a dollar of butter or cheese on them. And I can affect a thick enough accent you' d think I was from Alabama, Mississippi or even Georgia, especially if I'm talking to someone from there, kinda fall into their speech patterns. Betcha I could talk Texas if I ever met Fluffy Chix face to face, gosh I love her postings on Bariatric Pal and she and I might end up surgery twins, seem to be on the same timeline. Have a glorious day my friend.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app