Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

vitamins? For how long?

I understand we have to take certain Vitamins after surgery, but is that forever? Or can we go back to taking our vitamins we used to take prior to surgery? Is it just till our bodies are stabilized to the new stomach? Should I take them for 6 months - 1 year?

My doc said to plan on them for life. I was taking the special bariatric Vitamins that they sell out of their office, but came to hate the taste and went back to my regular ones. They don't pack as many vitamins/minerals but when I had my subsequent blood tests done to monitor levels I was looking good so I've stuck with them. I try to take a regular multi twice a day and my Calcium twice a day. With the bariatric ones they wanted me taking those 3x day but I get a lot of calcium in from my yogurt and other sources.

8 minutes ago, harmonyoflife said:

Thank you Orionburn for responding. I was just really curious if any one stuck with their original Multivitamins. I love the ones I am currently taking, so I’m glad to read your response.

I think a lot of us to. The bariatric ones are nice but it's still cheaper for me to just take an extra multi of my old standby. If you have bloodwork done a few times after surgery they'll be able to tell if you're deficient in anything. I'm coming up on my 1 year mark so I'll likely be due for another test. Helps give some peace of mind knowing that my levels are okay.

All I've heard is that I need to take them for life. I had to laugh when I read that I needed to consider the expense of Vitamins before having the surgery - I was spending $60 a month on medications for weight-related health conditions (and that was with coupons from the manufacturers!), not to mention what I probably spend on CPAP supplies.

1 hour ago, harmonyoflife said:

I was just really curious if any one stuck with their original Multivitamins.

I've been told I can take Flintstones chewables and plan to stick with those since they're fun to take.

My program has you take a bunch in year 1 then claims a regular Multivitamin a day is fine after that. For gastric bypass there is a more intense lifelong regimine due to the mal absorption.

Edited by Losebig

Same here on the flinstone chewables Complete. It's what I plan to take long term too.

Ive also been taking childrens chewables since surgery in March and all my bloodwork has came back great. I normally buy the Walmart childrens chewables and its the same thing. Also, they are pretty inexpensive, I take 2 a day and my doc said plan on those gor life. I dont take Calcium because I get much of my Protein from dairy for now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

My program also says for life and recommends Flintstones chewables. My old multivitamin doesn't contain Iron, which suprised me, and we need that after surgery due to lower food intake

I have BC/BS. They cover my Vitamins. I had the doctor write a note that they are necessary due to WLS. They write a new note at the start of the year. Just putting it out there for anyone struggling with the cost.
Also curious which programs recommend Flintstones? Mine, and some others, specifically say not to take those.

37 minutes ago, AZLoser said:

I have BC/BS. They cover my Vitamins. I had the doctor write a note that they are necessary due to WLS. They write a new note at the start of the year. Just putting it out there for anyone struggling with the cost.
Also curious which programs recommend Flintstones? Mine, and some others, specifically say not to take those.

Mine says to take a chewable multi with at least 18 mg Iron and 400 mcg folate. Flintstones complete and some generic brands fit the bill and don't cost as much as bariatric speciality Vitamins. My program specifically says no gummy vitamins as most don't have what we need.

Should mention I take 2 Centrum chewables per day. They were ok with any complete multivitamin

I took all the Vitamins until i was eating regularly. Had all my labs done about a month after i stopped all of them and the only thing i was deficient in was the B12 so i do a monthly shot for that. I take my normal vitamins that i was doing pre surgery and also do viactiv- covers the Calcium and Vitamin D and was recommended by my dietician.