Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be able to be pregnant with the band?

Hello everyone. I am considering the Lap band and I am a 25yr old female. I have a four month old son which is one of the reasons I want to become healthy. My question is, will I still be able to have another child in the future? Will I have to get my band removed if I do get prego? How does this work if you want to have another child. I am self-pay and I don't want to spend my money now on the band if I will have to rule out the possiblity of having more children or possibly have to have the band removed if I decide to have another child. I would appreciate any input. Also if anyone on this board has had a child since being banded could you specify what happened with that? Thank you

Amber

Hi Amber, I havent been Banded yet, but other then losing weight Im getting banded to have children, I have none now and I made sure i would be able to with the Lab Band and thats what I like about it is that you can. Once you have the Lapband for a while and you are "filled" you can be unfilled (lapband still in place) and have that chance to have kids. This was truly one of my conserns in my decsion. I want kids so bad.. and with the LapBand I can have that dream! There is another post on here talking more about it.. I will find it and bump it up for you.. Good luck with everything

Read Tread called TrishS.. I bumped it for you there might be somthing there that will help you I will look for more to bump

Thanks Trish and Marie. Oh I am so relieved because I was so worried about this. How wonderful to know that I can get a fill after having the baby. Of course I would be VERY lucky to be able to have another child tho because I have PCOS and hubby and I tried for almost five years to have our darling son. We did all of the fertility work ups and such and finally I got pregnant on Clomid so don't give up Trish it will happen for you. My suggestion is to see a good Reproductive Endocrinologist once you are serious about trying though. Thanks so much for the info and good luck to you both!

I got pregnant on Clomid so don't give up Trish it will happen for you. My suggestion is to see a good Reproductive Endocrinologist once you are serious about trying though.

Thank You... as soon as I lose weight you better belive i will be trying, I dont think hubby will complain hahaha right now at 330lbs i cant put my life or a babies life at risk... The Lapband will allow me to make my dream happen in having a baby... enought dogs i want a baby!! LOL

Yes after a while with out kids........our animals became our children. I used to refer to my cat Zues as "my first born son." LOL I know that sounds crazy but I never thought we would have a child.........I was wrong!

Amber

I thought I would jump in here as well. There are quite a few band babies out there now..I was banded over 2 years ago and know several women who have had babies..a few got down to goal..one got part of the way there..

There really is no reason you cannot have a healthy pregnancy with the band. Since you REALLY only need an additional 300 calories per baby(in case you have multiples) that is really achievable. Some women choose to have their fills removed entirely, some partially..and some not at all. It really will depend on where you are with your restriction. One gal finally gave in about 7-8 months because the baby was pushing up her stomach and causing extra restriction..Some women have morning sickness and need the fill out so it is easier to throw up.

There is a yahoo group(or at least was) called PregnantBandsters.

I was on that list in 2003 when my husband and I were trying to get pregnant with IVF due to HIS infertility issue. Didn't work and we gave up on the idea of having kids..but I learned alot since I was banded in 2002..

No panic on being pregnant with the band and what you decide to do with the fill will really vary for each woman.

Good luck!

Patty

8/13/02

Dr Kuri

I'm trying for a baby just now..... and like the other lassies have said - I'll "wait n see" if I need an unfill (morning sickness!)

I was told when I was at my heaviest that I couldn't get pregnant - I was ovulating but not "enough" to get pregnant... another reason for the band !

So - as of this month... Chris & I have been trying for a wee baby. awwwwwww lol.

hope you give you some good news (hope I can bloomin get pregnant now i've lost some weight!!!)

Aud x

Hey Ezzysmom,

Good luck with your pregnancy. Could you tell me a little bit more about your PCOS. Im confused as the whether i have this or not. Last year I went for a blood test and nothing odd showed up. What symptoms did you get and how did you detect it. Thanks.

well, you guys can count me in on the whole preggo thing. I'm hoping to try to get preggo sometime this summer. Depending on where I am in the whole weight loss thing. It's nice to know that other women are having the same questions as me. Keep the great advice coming. My doc says to wait a year, but the literature gives no explanation why. I'm just guessing it's giving the woman time to get to her goal weight....because I don't think it takes a full year to heal. I really don't want to wait a whole year. Good luck to everyone.

Wow,everyone on this board is so nice. Thanks for all of the replies and advice.

I plan to have another child if possible but if not, we will adopt because we have always wanted to anyway. There are so many children out there who need a loving stable home. We already decided there is no use in spending all of our money again by having IUI, when ultimately we concieved our son on just Clomid alone, not to mention all of the emotional stress it put on us. We have a four month old son so we dont plan on having another child anytime soon. I plan to get to my ideal weight first which will be at least a year or so I am sure because I am not even banded yet.

To answer your question Blacknamaste, there are many symptoms of PCOS, some of which include, Hirsutism, which is excessive hair on the face or other parts of the body where women do not typically have hair, depression,irregular menses or absence of menses, absence of ovulation, weight gain and obesity, infertility and many other symptoms but this is all I can think of currently. PCOS can only be diagnosed by having a transvaginal ultrasound which can be done by your OB/GYN or reproductive endocrinologist. If you have PCOS there will be what is commonly reffered to as a "string of pearls" around your ovaries which are Fluid filled cysts which can prevent ovulation. This will be easily seen on the monitor if you have it. IF you feel it is possible you have PCOS you should request an ultrasound by your doctor. Lets hope you dont have it but is very commen and it can be treatable. Hope this helps.

I also have PCOS, my doctor put me on Metformin, 2000 mg a day. My doctor never did any kind of exam vaginally. He just told me that there was an elevated amount of testosterone in my blood. So for about the past 7 months I have been taking the Metformin. I was just curious to know if you were taking it also. if not, what meds are you on for the PCOS?

Having the band was the only option I would consider. Because like all of you, I too want a little ankle bitter one day & this was the safest way to go about it besides trying to lose on my own. Love Love my dog & he is my baby but the conversation is slightly one sided:0):laugh