Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Regaining weight at 6 weeks!

On Monday I weighed 222 pounds and in just one week I have gained 7 pounds!!

I am six weeks post op and just started adding regular foods back to my diet this week. I must be doing something wrong and I need help! I am tracking EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. I have less than 600 calories a day and less than 15 carbs a day. Most of what I am eating is lean turkey or tuna and I can only get about 2 oz down a meal. (I only eat 3 x a day). I am taking long power walks to burn calories

What am I doing wrong? I am panicked and terrified I am self sabotaging and don't even know it.

Should I not be eating meat at all 3 meals?

Unfortunately my NUT in the hospital was awful, so I need to find someone new after the holidays.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

sodium? Full intestines? If you're eating less than 600 calories a day, I'd bet on one of these two.

If your nutritionist/dietitian is difficult to relate to, see your family doctor ASAP and have her/him recommend an alternate dietitian or other support.

She/he may be able to support you too.

You are probably a tiny way from a weight drop to balance out the last week's gain.

Is your exercise routine going okay?

sodium? Full intestines? If you're eating less than 600 calories a day, I'd bet on one of these two.

Sodium is not something I had thought of. I am buying low sodium items but not tracking it. I will start doing so immediately!! Thanks for the tip!

If your nutritionist/dietitian is difficult to relate to, see your family doctor ASAP and have her/him recommend an alternate dietitian or other support.
She/he may be able to support you too.
You are probably a tiny way from a weight drop to balance out the last week's gain.
Is your exercise routine going okay?

Exercise is ok. Dr actually told me to back off since my calorie intake was so low... but I've been upping it since the scale started moving up.
I am going to see if a dietitian is open next week... I can't handle waiting any longer. Thank you!

It's Water retention for sure. Every 400mg of sodium will retain about 4 cups of water which equals 2 pounds. Just think about it, there are at least 200mg in one slice of bread (not that you're eating bread--just for reference). If you eat meat or cheese, both are FILLED with sodium. You lost a lot of water weight during the non-solid phase and this is it coming back.

Edited by fruitandveggies

I would see a Dr just to make sure it isn't anything more sinister going on. I think it is really unusual, I'd be worried it was serious.

It could be your thyroid is out of whack. My wls coordinator said some people have thyroid issues and it causes stalled weight loss or weight gain.

I am six weeks post op and just started adding regular foods back to my diet this week. I must be doing something wrong and I need help! I am tracking EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. I have less than 600 calories a day and less than 15 carbs a day. Most of what I am eating is lean turkey or tuna and I can only get about 2 oz down a meal. (I only eat 3 x a day). I am taking long power walks to burn calories
What am I doing wrong? I am panicked and terrified I am self sabotaging and don't even know it.
Unfortunately my NUT in the hospital was awful, so I need to find someone new after the holidays.

Check your soduim intake.alot of protiem drinks have crazy amounts of soduim. As well as packagrd protiens and broths.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Turkey and tuna are loaded with sodium

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Eating less than 600 calories a day 6 weeks out is unhealthy. My doctor and nutritionist advocate for working up to 1000-1200 calories by week 6, otherwise your body will reset its metabolism to starvation mode, conserve every calorie, and you'll lose....nothing. You'll just feel miserable and exhausted.

Eat properly. It will give you the energy to exercise properly and..ya know...be safe on the roads driving with the public. Starving is another form of extremism. Don't trade one eating disorder for another.

Also, there's nothing wrong with healthy complex carbs with a low glycemic index. They keep your body running well and aren't as hard on your heart and kidneys long term as all animal Protein. Less cancer risk, too.

Looks like you've had some swallowing issues, and I'm empathetic. But I've gotta say, there's nothing easier to swallow than thinned down cream of wheat, high protein oatmeal, or bean/pea Soup.

Everyone likes losing weight fast...it's a rush....but you didn't gain all your weigh in a couple of months. it's going to take time to get it off. Be patient with the process. Make healthy choices that reset your new metabolism to a hot burning furnace that's getting plenty of the right fuel.

By the way, what made your nutritionist "awful"?

Edited by Creekimp13

9 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Eating less than 600 calories a day 6 weeks out is unhealthy. My doctor and nutritionist advocate for working up to 1000-1200 calories by week 6, otherwise your body will reset its metabolism to starvation mode, conserve every calorie, and you'll lose....nothing. You'll just feel miserable and exhausted.

I think I was eating more than 600 at that point - but I was in the 600-800 range for several months. I didn't get up to 1000+ until I was a year out. But people (and surgeons) are all different...

Newer studies have brought a lot of light to this, too. Doctors used to advise people to eat less at first. Bariatrics is an emerging science.

I had a very similar issue (10lb weight gain at 6 weeks). It turns out that I gained 14lbs of Water weight, 1lb of muscle and lost 5lbs of fat. IMO, there's no need to do any adjustments diet-wise. You might consider investing in a scale that measures water and fat mass separately. They run for ~$40 on Amazon.