Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - I’ve stalled during first month!

I was sleeved on 11/21/17. In these 28 days I’ve lost 28lbs. But it’s been a week with not a pound gone. I exercise 5 days a week on the elliptical for 40 minutes at moderate intensity. I meet my Protein goal each day, but keep my calories between 300 and 500 (not on purpose, that’s just all I can fit). I know people talk about stalls, but I’m not even a full month out. I can’t help but feel like I’m doing something wrong. Any advice? I don’t want to waste this year, as everyone says it’s such a gift.

SW:247

CW: 219

GW: 120

HT: 5’0”

Hang in there. Maybe cut back on exercise to you get more fuel. Take measurements you may be building muscle. All just passing thoughts. The stalls are frustrating and is easy to lose sight of the fabulous progress you have made.

Seems impossible, doesn't it?
Wouldn't you just love to show this to those "calories in, calories out" people?
Keep the faith!

Hang in there. Maybe cut back on exercise to you get more fuel. Take measurements you may be building muscle. All just passing thoughts. The stalls are frustrating and is easy to lose sight of the fabulous progress you have made.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m trying to stay positive. I’m wondering if I need to really work at getting another 200 calories. We’ll see...

Seems impossible, doesn't it?
Wouldn't you just love to show this to those "calories in, calories out" people?
Keep the faith!

Exactly!!! There’s so much more that goes into how people lose and gain weight. I’m trying to stay positive though. Thanks! [emoji5]

You probably need more calories- you body may be saying "heck no im not giving up my stores I need them to live"

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 172.8 GW 135

You would be unusual if you did not stall during your first month:

https://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.php

Don't worry about your calorie levels at this point - lots of people are in that range for a while because that is all that they can get in, and they do well. As long as you are getting in your Protein and fluids, you are good to go. Yes, it is ultimately a calorie in/calories out thing, but short term there are all kinds of things that play with your Water retention/rejection, so that the loss that we see is more stair steps than a consistent, linear loss day to day or week to week.

Yes, virtually everyone has a stall in the first month. You're fine, just keep doing what you're supposed to on your plan and it will start moving along. Stress makes it worse!

You've lost 28 pounds. That's an insane loss for the first month for someone your weight. Your body is resetting your metabolism to starvation levels. If you don't up your calories (my nutritionist pushes for 1000 calories per day by week 5) you will waste your one chance to reset your metabolism to a healthy level...by setting it at a sluggish starvation level that is associated with future regain.

Yes, we all love losing weight fast. It's not healthy, and it'll screw you up long term. EAT. Make HEALTHY food choices. You're going from being a habitual overeater to being a habitual starver....stop with the extremes. Develop a healthy eating habit and the vigorous metabolism that goes with it. This is formula for lifelong success. Starving yourself and developing a starvation metabolism sets you up for disappointment later. One day you'll have to eat again. Escape the cycle of extreme thinking.

Edited by Creekimp13

So, I ditched the scale for a few days and weighed in this morning and I’ve lost nothing. Absolutely nothing. I increased my calorie intake, varied my workouts, met my Protein goal and still, nothing. Almost ten days with nothing. I just hope this stall doesn’t last much longer. I paid out of pocket for my surgery and this is very discouraging.

55 minutes ago, amybeth150 said:

So, I ditched the scale for a few days and weighed in this morning and I’ve lost nothing. Absolutely nothing. I increased my calorie intake, varied my workouts, met my Protein goal and still, nothing. Almost ten days with nothing. I just hope this stall doesn’t last much longer. I paid out of pocket for my surgery and this is very discouraging.

It can last for weeks! Just think about it, it's physically impossible to not lose weight eventually if you're eating at a calorie deficit. You're currently in trauma mode as your body is still trying to heal and figure out WTF is going on. I know it's really hard, but try to not stress about it. Stress physically makes the situation worse. If you can relax your mind, it will be easier for your body to realize it's not in a dire situation that it needs to conserve calories for.

Amazing a lb lost a day. I lost nothing for 3 weeks after surgery. Let your body heal. You are doing great. I was frustrated, but I knew the weight loss would come eventually. And it did.

14 hours ago, amybeth150 said:

don't increase your calories unless you're already sure you are not eating enough. Stick to your program and the weight loss WILL start up again. You are in the infamous "three-week stall", that's all. (it doesn't always happen the third week post-op - but sometime within the first month or so after surgery, almost all of us hit our first major stall. It can last anywhere from a few days up to three (or more..) weeks). Just hang in there and remain 100% compliant. Your weight *will* start dropping again. When my first stall broke after two long weeks of nothing, I dropped like 6-8 lbs within a couple of days....

It can last for weeks! Just think about it, it's physically impossible to not lose weight eventually if you're eating at a calorie deficit. You're currently in trauma mode as your body is still trying to heal and figure out WTF is going on. I know it's really hard, but try to not stress about it. Stress physically makes the situation worse. If you can relax your mind, it will be easier for your body to realize it's not in a dire situation that it needs to conserve calories for.

Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement!