Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regrets, I feel like Gastric Sleeve Surgery has been the biggest mistake of my life

I feel like this has been the biggest mistake of my life. Day 5 in the hospital, Surg was wednesday 13th. In so much pain can’t get anything more than 90cc down and that leaves me in terrible pain. My ivs infiltrated filling my left arm with Potassium i now have a midline in my right arm. Walking as much as i can even as painful as it is. Went for an esophalgram to make sure there isn’t a blockage or leakage. I feel like everything is going wrong. Maybe some ppl i just met to stay fat what’s exactly how i am feel. I can more or drink without tears running down my face.

Poor thing! Sorry about your experience, it sounds dreadful. Hope things improve rapidly. Maybe you'll feel a little better about everything when you feel more like yourself. Hugs.

Girl I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. I promise you will feel better. We have all gone through it. You live your life after this surgery what feels like minute to minute. You need to be out of the hospital. Is there a reason they are keeping you this long? I was at an outpatient surgery center and home that day. But it has to do with insurance. But still. This will pass but trust me I know that pain

I’m sorry you are going through this. My surgery is scheduled the 27th and I’m 90% sure I’m going to cancel it. I’m terrified of complications. I hope things get better.

1 hour ago, ItsMermaidTime said:

I feel like this has been the biggest mistake of my life. Day 5 in the hospital, Surg was wednesday 13th. In so much pain can’t get anything more than 90cc down and that leaves me in terrible pain. My ivs infiltrated filling my left arm with Potassium i now have a midline in my right arm. Walking as much as i can even as painful as it is. Went for an esophalgram to make sure there isn’t a blockage or leakage. I feel like everything is going wrong. Maybe some ppl i just met to stay fat what’s exactly how i am feel. I can more or drink without tears running down my face.

OK so please please please advocate for a change in pain meds. I was non responsive to opiate, they did nothing for my pain no matter how much I got. You may have the same problem but only a change will tell.

Breathe deeply don't panic and keep advocating for the best care possible by your team including changes you want to try

OK so please please please advocate for a change in pain meds. I was non responsive to opiate, they did nothing for my pain no matter how much I got. You may have the same problem but only a change will tell.
Breathe deeply don't panic and keep advocating for the best care possible by your team including changes you want to try

I Have a lot of med allergies it sucks. I’m trying believe me i want to go home to my sons so bad.

Oh man. I am so so sorry that this is so rough for you! I hope that you will be past this soon. Keep walking, keep sipping. You WILL get through it.

I am going to predict that we'll see you posting soon that you have no regrets and you'd do it all again!

*gentle hugs*

I’m sorry you are going through this. My surgery is scheduled the 27th and I’m 90% sure I’m going to cancel it. I’m terrified of complications. I hope things get better.

Everyone's journey is different. I've had no issues with pain. I took their pain meds for the first night, was taking down my 4 ounces an hour so I was released the next day. I then took Tylenol only 3 times over the next few days. Has it been hard to drink enough daily? Yes. But it's because I'm not feeling hungry or thirsty. I'm no longer having issues with nausea. If this is something you really want for yourself then there will be challenges but there will also be amazing changes!

Best of luck no matter which path you take.

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh man. I am so so sorry that this is so rough for you! I hope that you will be past this soon. Keep walking, keep sipping. You WILL get through it.
I am going to predict that we'll see you posting soon that you have no regrets and you'd do it all again!
*gentle hugs*

I hope so thank you for your words of encouragement

I too am so sorry. It was rough a little after surgery for me but nothing like what you describe. My pain meds and walking took care of it. And now 5 months out I feel it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I hope to Gd that soon you feel that way. I have total Portion Control, still losing, so much more energy, I feel my body is so light and I never want to sit down, love being active. Getting compliments. Only negative: I’m colder now! I’m complaining when it’s cold like those skinny people always do! My internal sweater is shrinking. Feel better soon.

Just want to send you a hug and let you know I sympathise. I was in hospital for 2 months for a leak - only just got out. Did you get the results of your leak test? Only pain killer that worked for me was dilaudid. Have you tried that?

17 hours ago, ItsMermaidTime said:

Sorry for your complications. I'm sure it will get better, and once the memory of the issues are on the back burner and your rapid weight loss is up front, I'm sure you will be happy with your decision. It will get better!

16 hours ago, stacie304 said:

I wouldn't jump to any quick decisions about canceling. Complications are typically <3% (from my understanding) and most complications go away (except GERD, which can be managed via medication for most).

If you need more time to think about it, and you will not lose your insurance approval, then maybe it would be a good idea to push it back a bit, and spend some time with your surgical group's support groups.

I hope you are feeling better soon and you get home to your boys. I myself had zero complications and my pain was minimal and managed well while in the hospital but one of the men in my local group who had surgery around the same time as me had a really rough go. He had a leak and ended up on life support in the ICU for a while and had repeat surgeries. It was touch and go for a while but he is now almost a year out and has no regrets. He comes to support groups to tell his story to and let people know that even in the darkest moments there is sunshine. He said that his weight would have killed him if he didn't take control and now hes healthier than ever.

Just want to send you a hug and let you know I sympathise. I was in hospital for 2 months for a leak - only just got out. Did you get the results of your leak test? Only pain killer that worked for me was dilaudid. Have you tried that?

Leak test came back no leak and i’m extremely allergic to Dilaudid [emoji53][emoji53]