Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apart of the small percentage where things go Very Wrong!

Hello All. I have to share the first part of my story in hopes that it will help someone else. My SW on 12/11/17 was 257. I came out of surgery fine but a few hours after - I began to literally pull off my hospital gown along with IV's. I cried out for help as my body seemed to be going through shock. I was burning up and felt worse than ever before. Thank God for attentive and educated nurses. A medical rescue alert was issued and my room was filled with a doctor and nurses. My BP dropped and after the fastest catscan ever, it was confirmed that I was bleeding internally! Guys, I went through a lifesaving emergency surgery and was given 8 units of blood. I woke up in ICU on a ventilator! It's a miracle that I'm here!

This same time last year, I had my son via c-section after 40 hours of labor and had bleeding issues with that as well. Of course now we see that this is a trend for me or a very big coincidence. The bleeding this time was not near the gastric surgical site so I don't feel that this was a mere mistake on the surgeons part. I'm working with a hematologist as it appears I may have some sort of blood disorder which is important to confirm for any future surgeries needed. Needless to say I won't be having any further VOLUNTARY procedures, be it plastics - or anything else.

Currently, I have regrets but I refuse to not make changes to my food choices and my overall approach to health after this. I expect to report exceptional results as time goes on. Let your takeaway be: don't disregard the risks, be fully prepared to change your approach to better lifestyle choices, and let your family and friends know how much you love and appreciate them! All the best.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm so sorry that happened to you but thankful you are here and healing.

Keep us posted. I wish you all the best <3

I am glad to hear that you are on the mend. I hope you can track down the cause of your blood loss. A few years ago my mother began to bleed internally and she required a blood transfusion. In her case she had been using Excedrin (which contains aspirin and is a NSAID) on a daily basis as a pain reliever. She was taking about 10 times the recommended dose of aspirin on a daily basis for several years. We cut her off the Excedrin and the problem healed up.

Wow! So glad there was a medical team that reacted swiftly!! I hope you get answers and maybe get a medical alert Bracelet personalized.

I'm so confused by this. What sort of bleeding disorder are you talking about? Does it have a name? Because the vast majority of bleeding disorders would be caught on presurgical labs.

So...you weren't bleeding from your surgical sites...but you lost 8 units of blood? Huh? Where was the blood coming from?

Not saying I don't believe you could have had a one in a bazillion anomalous case....God knows they do happen...but so much about this story seems really weird. Can you give some more concrete specifics?

1. Where, exactly, were you bleeding 8 units of blood from?

2. What is the name of your disorder?

3. Why were you "burning up"? Were you having an allergic reaction? Because hypovolemic shock causes cool, clammy skin.

June, I recall that in the middle of October, you stated your insurance company wanted 3 more months of medical weight loss. Did they change their minds? Did you switch to self pay? How did your presurgical diet go? What sort of testing did the surgeon require before the surgery?

Wishing you good health and safety.

Edited by Creekimp13

There are several different coagulation products (9 I think) the blood and they only check two usually prior to surgery, a protime and a prothrombin time.

HW-292 • SW (6/29/17) 256.6 • CW 185.0

There are several different coagulation products (9 I think) the blood and they only check two usually prior to surgery, a protime and a prothrombin time.

HW-292 • SW (6/29/17) 256.6 • CW 185.0

I'm so sorry that happened to you but thankful you are here and healing.
Keep us posted. I wish you all the best

I certainly will. Thanks so much.

34 minutes ago, alcn1derlnd said:

"There are several different coagulation products (9 I think) the blood and they only check two usually prior to surgery, a protime and a prothrombin time."

Ok, yeah...but if we're talking a systemic anticoagulation issue......with unstoppable internal oozing...why on earth would opening her up again be life saving? Wouldn't an exploratory imperil her more under that circumstance? She states that the surgical site was not the source of the bleeding???? This one just has me scratching my head.

Edited by Creekimp13

Just a general response...we don't have all the answers folks. I was just discharged yesterday. The bleeding was coming from the lower abdominal area. I adheared to all insurance requirements, they accepted my first pre-surgery visit as a supervised weight lost visit along with a couple more that I had to attend to make the six total. I lost 11lbs on the two week pre surgery diet. My surgeon required liquids and stemmed veggies, fruit, and lean meat. I reside in NC and my surgery was in Cary, NC by a very reputable surgeon, Dr. Villanueva. I will be following up with the hematologist this week. My labs were good prior to surgery but after I was told that it appears my blood clots slower than what is normal. Again folks, I'm not a doctor and I don't yet understand this myself. My reason for the post was only to make others aware.

Have never heard of fruit on the pre-surg diet. Eating fructose would be counter-indicated since it wouldn't shrink your liver. That is a VERY strange choice by your surgeon. Weird.

June, I do wish you the very best. Glad you're feeling better.