Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard time with Protein Shakes

I've tried every OTC Protein Shake and still have yet to find something I like and taste good. I'm desperate to find something!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I will tell you what got through to me when I felt the exact same way.... worked for me as a wake up call, if it doesn't work for you ignore it.

It doesn't need to taste good. You don't need to LIKE it you just need to tolerate it. It's medicine to fuel your body and help it heal and not lose muscle mass.

Grit your teeth and choke it down. Use it as a tool to reframe your relationship with food (food as fuel not pleasure) or just get through it until you can eat other stuff.

I just had my pre-surgery meeting today and NUT told us that if we use Premier for the pre-op liquid diet to also add a Fiber supplement and a daily Multivitamin. Perhaps adding a fiber supplement Constipation would not be a problem? Just a suggestion.

Yup! It's on my surgeons plan! Add benefiber or another soluble fiber supplement. And also add an insoluble fiber like psyllium husk.

If you still struggle try a stool softener or Smooth Move tea.

It will get better when you are on real food and even better when you have room for some veggies.

Prune juice followed by a cup or two of green tea is going to be your friend for the next couple of years if not months. With added Proteins and not much of everything else, you are bound to be constipated. And I am sorry if this is too much information but going to the gym and on the elliptical might also help you get rid of that feeling.. it gets things moving..

Thank you for all the suggestions. As for the shakes I've tried its not the taste its the heavy fullness I feel. Its hard to drink as many as I should to get the required Protein and Ive not had surgery yet. I think the Isopure drinks will work better for me

Thank you for all the suggestions. As for the shakes I've tried its not the taste its the heavy fullness I feel. Its hard to drink as many as I should to get the required Protein and Ive not had surgery yet. I think the Isopure drinks will work better for me

Keep trying different ones! Isopure is light, syntax nectar is light. Dilute some with Water (counts towards your liquid goals!) There are literally hundreds keep trying! And the feeling may change post op.

I should have been more clear my post was more aimed at the poster above my reply not you.

@jess9395 I add whole psyllium husks (pre-surg) to my smoothies. It makes them more filling and satisfying and um, you know...YOU KNOW! mkay? ;) I was surprised to find that it's actually a soluble fiber, so it helps with getting rid of bad cholesterol. I thought it was insoluble...

Braiatric Advantage has several flavors to try. I mix one packet with one cup of Water and a few ice cubes in the nutri bullet and it is an easy on the go Breakfast. Also have tried premiere Protein Shakes and Syntrax Nectar flavors. The Syntrax does not seem to mix well so I tend to not use it as much. Premiere Protein also has a clear Protein Drink. It only comes in two flavors (orange mango and raspberry) but it is nice to have as a change.

It is good to have options so that you are not drinking the same thing every day. BORING.....

Edited by Catden

Today I made a concoction of half a Premier Protein shake, half cup of fairlife milk, and some powdered Peanut Butter. Its a lot less thick. And from what I could compute had about 26 grams of Protein, so not too shabby and easier to drink. (for me)

I’m not reading the whole thread so I might be repeating someone else’s idea, but here is what worked for me. Instead of mixing the Protein Powder with Water or milk, I mix it into full fat plain Greek yogurt. I add coconut water as needed just to be able to mix it. Then I put it into little metal lunchbots (I think they are 4 oz containers ) and take them with me or keep in fridge. It doesn’t bug my stomach or make me sweaty and dizzy the way the liquid shakes did. I prefer unsweetened whey powder but just use whatever works for you. Just a few spoonfuls and it’s double the Protein too. Good luck.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, Anndee said:

Thanks I will look at the lean 25. My dr requires that the shales have 30 grams per serving.

These ones only have 25 grams but I was having a hard time stomaching shakes after surgery and my NUT actually suggested I try these ones and they worked. She said the 25 grams was okay because I could actually stomach them. Like you it was more of a texture issue than a flavor issue. She also suggested I make up the Protein by adding protein powder to my meals so it worked out.

Also maybe try a protein Water or tea. Isopure has a water that has 40 grams of protein in it I believe and they have the texture of a water. They have many different flavors so it might be trial and error to find one you like.

Edited by Sullie06