Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking liquids while eating.....still bad 5 months out?

I think I know the answer to this, but just checking with the "experts".

Early on I was much more militant about separating my eating and drinking. Lately I find myself occasionally taking a sip or two of liquids especially if it's something that is (too) dry. I assume this is just as bad of an idea as it was shortly after surgery? That it's a bad habit that can lead onto the slippery slope?

Just checking.

1 hour ago, gwbicster said:

Early on I was much more militant about separating my eating and drinking. Lately I find myself occasionally taking a sip or two of liquids especially if it's something that is (too) dry. I assume this is just as bad of an idea as it was shortly after surgery? That it's a bad habit that can lead onto the slippery slope?

Just checking.

You are an adult, It's your choice. I'm no expert just another bariatric patient

It does wash the food through your stomach. You may find you won't feel full or satisfied. Hunger for your next meal may start earlier.

Just checking.

Also 5 months out. Id try making your food more moist. Though my plan sugests one sip when food is dry. But try not to

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

44 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

You are an adult, It's your choice. I'm no expert just another bariatric patient

It does wash the food through your stomach. You may find you won't feel full or satisfied. Hunger for your next meal may start earlier.

That's the funny thing. Maybe because it's "taboo" but when i do have a couple sips, I feel MORE full. Maybe not for the longer haul, but at the time I eat. I feel much more satisfied. Yes, I know it washes the food out (although I find less so when I eat super "solid" meals like whole cuts of meat). The hunger seems to be under control maybe due to my use of Famotidine and Pantoprozale and just being busy this time of year (I am a music teacher).

I feel guilty because I know what I am doing is wrong. But then again that's part of how I got here in the first place. I know, I know, time to seek counseling...

Thanks for your feedback!

I still avoid it at all costs, even at 10 months out.

I totally get it. When preparing for my surgery, I started practicing the 30/30 rule (as my program calls it, avoiding liquids 30 mins before and after, as well as during meals) and there were times that I just couldn't do it. Those were foods I just learned to avoid. Another option is adding a little something like gravy or mayo, or some other kind of thick sauce, just watch the carbs and fat. But yeah, taking liquids with meals is a no go.

Having a sip or two of Water or wine with a meal is not gonna be a deal breaker, but ordering a beer with your meal is no good!! If I want to go out now, I do my drinking prior to eating, mostly Gentleman Jack and diet coke, then wait for dinner and eat a small meal, then either have another drink about 30 to 40 mins later or some coffee..But I never drink with my actual meal.. I also do the 30/30 rule..

I will say, I can drink about 3 beers or mixed drinks in a 3 or 4 hour period, which will get me buzzed prior to dinner..

22 hours ago, gwbicster said:

Just checking.

I'm about a year out and still struggle with this. I was a massive drinker prior to surgery so I could drink a 44 oz pop with me meals no problem. There are times where I do take a sip or two like you just because things feel kind of "stuck" in my stomach. Taking a little bit of Water seems to help. I don't do it often. It is something that could lead to a slipperly slope if 2 drinks becomes 3, then 4, etc. It's like the majority of things in life - anything in moderation is fine.

21 hours ago, jenn1 said:

Just a hypothetical. But if you reach your goal weight and there's nothing more you want/can lose and wanted to attempt to put on some muscle/LBM,which of course means eating more Protein and calories. Would drinking with meals be a good way of accomplishing that?

Edited by Mhy12784

I'm 7 months out and I still avoid it because it's uncomfortable for me. If I drink too soon after eating I feel a lot of pressure as the food goes down.

@Mhy12784 - if added muscle is your goal, then no. While it is true that you will need more Protein & calories in order to build muscle, that protein will need to be digested first in order to make it available for synthesis. The majority of digestion takes place in the stomach. The intestines is where the digested food and nutrients is then transferred to the blood stream. If the food is washed out of the stomach before it is completely broken down, it will not be absorbed and will mostly pass through the intestines. This is more likely with bypass patients as it is textbook malabsorption.

If you truly need more protein and calories in a fast absorbing form, look for a hydrolized protein.

To the OP, it is exactly like you stated, a slippery slope. Eventually you can form the habit to drink while eating which will wash the food out of you stomach and you will get hungry sooner. I am almost 3 years out and the only modification I have made to the 30/30 rule originally given to me is that I will drink up until I start eating. After I start, I do not take another drink until 30 minutes after my last bite. I find that while I may at first be dying for a drink, after a few minutes, that desire fades. Only time that is it difficult is when I am eating something that is spicy (e.g. homemade habanero jelly).

I'm just about a year out at this point. My NUT said if I needed to take a sip here and there to help wash my food down it's okay but to make it a general rule not to drink with meals. The only time I usually drink while eating is if I'm having a dense Protein that's dry, which sometimes happens if I'm eating out or at someone else's home. My husband (who does the cooking in our family) usually is really good at making meat super moist) or if I'm eating something super spicy and I need a little sip to wash it down.