Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First day home - who can relate?

So I’m home now, about 24hrs post op.

It’s been so hard to even have small sips of anything without burping and feeling sick. I’m only having a bit of broth and Water. I tried a frozen smoothie, but it’s not agreeing with me, even a very small suck.

I am kinda hungry, but I think it’s psychological. Like I thought I smelled a sweet pie and thought of how much I’d enjoy some.

Can anyone relate? And when can I expect this to pass? I am lying on my side because it’s comfortable, is that ok? And I’m still sore under my breasts when I eat... Or even when I don’t. I think something was down my throat during my surgery.

Belching and the gas bubbles when I eat - does this subside. I’m not liking this much at the moment but the pain is definitely improving.

Yes obviously something was down your throat during surgery. Didn't you perhaps research what the surgery involves?
Belching for me is a sign I've eaten to much.
Lieing on your side is fine.
Frozen smoothie 24 hours after surgery is probably not a good idea.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes first day home for me too. Hard to get comfortable. Are you walking. That has really helped. I only feel comfortable on my back and used to sleeping on my side. Feel better[mention=330092]yummymummy303[/mention]

Yes first day home for me too. Hard to get comfortable. Are you walking. That has really helped. I only feel comfortable on my back and used to sleeping on my side. Feel better[mention=330092]yummymummy303[/mention]

Thanks Lainey,

I keep getting the hiccups too. Yes, walking has helped a bit. I hope this phase passes soon. It’s really feeling horrible right now.

I’m post op day 5 and still having gas and burps. It’s completely normal per my doctor. I wish I could lie on my side, but my staples hurt when I do that. I was told to sip 1-2 oz every hour the first two days after surgery, but all programs are different. broth and Powerade Zero worked well for me. Walk as much as you can tolerate to move the gas around and get those burps and hiccups out! I do laps around my lower level every hour.

Warm tea sometimes goes down easier, or sf popsicles alternating rather than a thick smoothie.

Yes early sipping was like swallowing aquarium gravel!!! It gets better. I am five weeks out and can take a good slug of liquid now. I could not tolerate sweet things after surgery and drank ready-made Isopure half and half with crystal light and it is clear, not thick.

Use a heating pad on your insicions and walk and walk, wear comfy pants. You will belch and fart for awhile and your gut will be loud. It all improves greatly after the first couple weeks for the majority. Welcome to the 'other side' and good luck.

Thank you all so much. You’re right, it is all normal, and walking does seem to help.

It’s so painful when I swallow though, going down my chest part, especially panadol.

It’s so weird waking up and not being so hungry when I have barely eaten. I can see that I will be losing a lot of weight very fast if this is all I can eat, I’m just scared of getting dehydrated. Water just doesn’t sit very well, but neither does apple juice or anything...

I’m on day 3 and trying to take small sips of an Optifast shake but it’s making me gag.

Everyday I feel a bit better though, and as long as I am getting enough in, I’m excited about the fact I’m not hungry and can’t eat. I just want the discomfort to subside.

You’re all amazing - thank you so much for your support!

My surgeon has told me to sip about an ounce (breaking that ounce into two sips) every 15 minutes (while awake) for the entire first week after surgery. Though I'm not quite certain I can keep up with that schedule! I'll have to try though. I'm thinking about using a timer on my phone. I've been given a couple medicine cups (like the ones that come with cough medicine or the like) to help that process. Maybe that'd help you to get more fluids in?

As far as the thing down your throat, my surgeon described passing a wire or a tube down the esophagus to the stomach, and inflating a balloon that would help shape the new stomach. Maybe that's part of your discomfort, if it's in your esophagus. Otherwise it'd definitely be the breathing tube that irritated your throat.

The gas is probably from the carbon dioxide used during surgery to inflate your abdomen. This gives the surgeon a better view of your organs. It just takes time before that goes away, and like other people said, walk walk walk. It helps. Taking simethicone (Gas-X, if your surgeon allows it) has helped me in the past.

My surgeon has told me to sip about an ounce (breaking that ounce into two sips) every 15 minutes (while awake) for the entire first week after surgery. Though I'm not quite certain I can keep up with that schedule! I'll have to try though. I'm thinking about using a timer on my phone. I've been given a couple medicine cups (like the ones that come with cough medicine or the like) to help that process. Maybe that'd help you to get more fluids in?
As far as the thing down your throat, my surgeon described passing a wire or a tube down the esophagus to the stomach, and inflating a balloon that would help shape the new stomach. Maybe that's part of your discomfort, if it's in your esophagus. Otherwise it'd definitely be the breathing tube that irritated your throat.
The gas is probably from the carbon dioxide used during surgery to inflate your abdomen. This gives the surgeon a better view of your organs. It just takes time before that goes away, and like other people said, walk walk walk. It helps. Taking simethicone (Gas-X, if your surgeon allows it) has helped me in the past.

Thank you so much, that’s super informative! I will try taking fluids like that because I can only have tiny sips. I hope I’m losing lots of weight though :)

Sleeved: 2/11/2017

SW: 209lbs/95kgs