Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Morning everyone,

I am new to this whole forum so please bear with me. My gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for 12/13/2017. I am both nervous and excited. I made a decision to go through with the surgery before nerves or emotions could get the best of my decision making processes. I am glad that I made a firm decision at that time because otherwise the nerves may have gotten the best of me. I am a fairly logical person by nature but there is one thing that I just cannot stop thinking about and that is Hair loss. I am embarrassed because I know this will improve my health and that is the most important thing but I seem to be obsessing over this small problem. I have fairly long hair and I’d like to keep all of it. When I look at before and after images on this site I am in awe of how amazing everyone looks but afraid because it looks like a lot of people have cut their hair. (The logical part of me knows people but their hair every day, it’s the irrational part of me that assumes its all because of hair loss) Anyone have any advise on how to minimize hair loss? Any words of advice? Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

My mother and sister got the bypass done and I’m scheduled in April. I would say to just take your Vitamins exactly the way they tell you to so you’re absorbing the most amount possible. My mom and sister lost a little hair but it wasn’t anything embarrassing. I’m not too worried. You’ll be good! Oxoxox

My mother and sister got the bypass done and I’m scheduled in April. I would say to just take your Vitamins exactly the way they tell you to so you’re absorbing the most amount possible. My mom and sister lost a little hair but it wasn’t anything embarrassing. I’m not too worried. You’ll be good! Oxoxox

Thank you for your response!! It's good to hear they didn't have any dramatic or embarrassing Hair loss. I guess I'm afraid of losing any femininity. Even if I sound crazy lol.

11 minutes ago, thatblondechick said:

Anyone have any advise on how to minimize Hair loss? Any words of advice? Thanks in advance!!

I'm not having surgery until January, but I've known that I was going to start this journey for a while. I bought some Biotin 10,000u and started it awhile ago. Just to strengthen my hair, skin, nails, ect. Also, I stopped coloring my hair to improve its condition and I bought a good quality Shampoo.

I've known a few people who have had bariatric surgery, and all of them experienced some hair loss. However, I think how much is determined by how diligent you are with your Vitamins, and what condition your hair is in prior to surgery.

Lastly, don't feel bad about stressing this. You are making giant life changes, and it is natural to want to hold onto something that makes you feel like *you*. Just remember that your physical appearance doesn't define you. And hair loss isn't a permanent symptom. I've heard that it can start 6-12 months after surgery and start to regrow after that.

I've lost a ton of hair. I have very fine, thin hair to begin with and it's long. I can certainly tell the difference, especially near my temples when I put my hair up. I dye my hair black and I'm super pale so I feel like it's super obvious. However, my family can't tell the difference at all! I don't think they're just being nice either, haha. It's actually not too bad, no one would ever notice because no one else has studied my hair. It fell out like crazy for a few months starting around 6 months, and it's now stopping and growing back (and it's growing back Irish red--I'm a natural brunette!).

I'll also add I've been taking double doses of Biotin daily, along with all the other Vitamin requirements. My hair (albeit thin right now) looks incredible I must say! So yeah, it's kind of a pain when pulling my hair back (you have to strategically place it) and there has been hair ALL over the dang house. But it's not that bad. It's nothing to get super anxious about. And the best part? It will stop falling out and grow back!

Thank you for your response!! It's good to hear they didn't have any dramatic or embarrassing Hair loss. I guess I'm afraid of losing any femininity. Even if I sound crazy lol.

You don’t sound crazy at all!! Just follow what they tell you and I think you’ll be fine [emoji8]

I've lost a ton of hair. I have very fine, thin hair to begin with and it's long. I can certainly tell the difference, especially near my temples when I put my hair up. I dye my hair black and I'm super pale so I feel like it's super obvious. However, my family can't tell the difference at all! I don't think they're just being nice either, haha. It's actually not too bad, no one would ever notice because no one else has studied my hair. It fell out like crazy for a few months starting around 6 months, and it's now stopping and growing back (and it's growing back Irish red--I'm a natural brunette!).
I'll also add I've been taking double doses of Biotin daily, along with all the other Vitamin requirements. My hair (albeit thin right now) looks incredible I must say! So yeah, it's kind of a pain when pulling my hair back (you have to strategically place it) and there has been hair ALL over the dang house. But it's not that bad. It's nothing to get super anxious about. And the best part? It will stop falling out and grow back!

Ahhhh...... Lol I know it's outrageous how anxious Hair loss makes me. Did you have to cut lots of length due the thinning?

Good Morning everyone,
I am new to this whole forum so please bear with me. My gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for 12/13/2017. I am both nervous and excited. I made a decision to go through with the surgery before nerves or emotions could get the best of my decision making processes. I am glad that I made a firm decision at that time because otherwise the nerves may have gotten the best of me. I am a fairly logical person by nature but there is one thing that I just cannot stop thinking about and that is Hair loss. I am embarrassed because I know this will improve my health and that is the most important thing but I seem to be obsessing over this small problem. I have fairly long hair and I’d like to keep all of it. When I look at before and after images on this site I am in awe of how amazing everyone looks but afraid because it looks like a lot of people have cut their hair. (The logical part of me knows people but their hair every day, it’s the irrational part of me that assumes its all because of hair loss) Anyone have any advise on how to minimize hair loss? Any words of advice? Thanks in advance!!

Hair loss due to Vitamin deficiency is NOT the same as male pattern baldness (and women can get it too). when I had my first child I went half on the sides of my head and if she stuck her hands in my hair she would come out with a fistful and it didn't hurt. Doc said it was because I was no longer on prenatal Vitamins and my folic acid had dropped suddenly. so I stay on a regular B50 complex and my hair thickened right up.
Long story short, If you keep up with your B vitamins (all of them actually) you should not have a problem, but Folic Acid and Biotin, strengthen your hair root. Do not skimp on your vitamin if you are concerned about hair loss and up your B's if you notice hair loss. Iron, D and Zinc will also promote Hair growth when combined with B complex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using BariatricPal mobile app

hair loss due to Vitamin deficiency is NOT the same as male pattern baldness (and women can get it too). when I had my first child I went half on the sides of my head and if she stuck her hands in my hair she would come out with a fistful and it didn't hurt. Doc said it was because I was no longer on prenatal Vitamins and my folic acid had dropped suddenly. so I stay on a regular B50 complex and my hair thickened right up.
Long story short, If you keep up with your B vitamins (all of them actually) you should not have a problem, but Folic Acid and Biotin, strengthen your hair root. Do not skimp on your vitamin if you are concerned about Hair loss and up your B's if you notice hair loss. Iron, D and Zinc will also promote Hair growth when combined with B complex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks so much. I will definitely be staying on top of vitamin intake.

4 hours ago, thatblondechick said:

Ahhhh...... Lol I know it's outrageous how anxious Hair loss makes me. Did you have to cut lots of length due the thinning?

Nope! Still nice and long and shiny. I'll have to post a before and after pic.

4 hours ago, StateofNV said:

hair loss due to Vitamin deficiency is NOT the same as male pattern baldness (and women can get it too). when I had my first child I went half on the sides of my head and if she stuck her hands in my hair she would come out with a fistful and it didn't hurt. Doc said it was because I was no longer on prenatal Vitamins and my folic acid had dropped suddenly. so I stay on a regular B50 complex and my hair thickened right up.
Long story short, If you keep up with your B Vitamins (all of them actually) you should not have a problem, but Folic Acid and Biotin, strengthen your hair root. Do not skimp on your Vitamin if you are concerned about hair loss and up your B's if you notice hair loss. Iron, D and Zinc will also promote Hair growth when combined with B complex

Right--it's not giant Patches of hair missing! It's actually a natural hair process, it's just skipping one of it's growth cycles.

I agree, take all your vitamins, but in the end they didn't prevent hair loss for me (on double dose of Biotin, Bcomplex, multi, etc). Who knows though, it could have been much worse if I didn't take them!

Hi everyone, I just got in the site and am pre op. Just found out yesterday my surgery will be in February or March.
The hair thing is something I’ve heard about as well. I have done a lot of research before considering the surgery but would like to know more from actual people who have gone through it.
Just over a year ago I lost my brother, now all that is left is my grown kids and grandkids.. it was a shocker and I lost about half my hair from this event. I have always had very long thick hair. I ended up chopping over 2 feet of it off because of how thin it had become. What was interesting is that the girl at the salon chopping my hair said that once I had lost a lot of weight from the surgery that I would be back to cut it shorter.. WHAT??? Lol she said that she had noticed that women who had the surgery just wanted to change their looks to match the new them... not due to hair loss... she has also had the surgery which surprised me.. amazing how many people have had it and I didn’t know it.
So the moral of story is..... the cutting of hair I think is just part of the “make over” of the new thinner life.... but I have already started letting my hair grow back long again lol she’s still betting I’ll chop it even shorter next time.. after the weight loss.. [emoji4]

I owned my own company for 25 years and then sold it and retired early. A friend had a project in Kansas that was in trouble and ask me to help .... I live in Georgia but traveled there to see what I could do. I ended up actually living there for 3 years.....we saved the company but my hair fell out big time. After I came home it got better but then my daughter got married .... the year of wedding planning again made my hair fall out. This time I started using Biotin....my hair is now doing great.....I am just starting the Gastric Sleeve process .... here we go again!