Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 months post op and hungry every half hour...I am freaking out!!

I am 11 months post-op and I feel hungry every half hour. I don't want to eat and gain weight, but not eating anything only makes it worse. I get angry, feel tired and uninterested in doing anything. I'm scared what if my sleeve expands most of the time and end up staring at the ceiling most of the time, as I took a loan on my credit card to pay for the surgery. I take my meds on time. I take a Protein Shake every day, but this hunger generally starts during the second half of the day and gets worst from 6 p.m. onwards. I cannot take Water still. I can take 2-3 sips at a time, then 2-3 more sips after half hour, but food (veggies, fruits, bread) is okay to consume.

My starting weight was 251 pounds, on the day of surgery I was 240 pounds and in 11 months now I am 180 pounds and my goal weight is 155 pounds. I don't eat junk food....no burger, no fries (I do eat potato once a week fried in an air fryer or popcorn made again in air fryer), no soda, 1-2 tablespoons of sugar on a daily basis (in my glass of tea and coffee, which I take in the morning and evening), nothing more.

The quantity of food intake has increased compared to what I used to eat two months ago, to what I eat this month. And to make things worst I noticed today that I've gained 2.2 pounds (1 kg) since last week. I tell myself not to worry but I am freaking out. Please advise what should I do. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Edited by up4challenge

Hi up4challenge! I'm sorry you are struggling. If you are not doing so already, I would start logging all of your food intake on an app like my fitness pal, this way you will know exactly where your nutrition/ calories are on a daily basis. It would be lovely if our new tiny stomach did all the work for us and we never had to worry about over eating again, but it's simply not the reality for most of us. I realised very early on that I could consume way more calories than I should if I'm not paying attention and logging everything I eat.

You may also want to show us a typical day of eating for you so people can give you some pointers. I can tell you right off that bread and potatoes can get you into trouble, you may want to stick to Protein, veg, a little fruit and maybe add in some beans/ lentils as carbs if you need as they are much better for you and also have a good amount of Fiber. Others here will say forego the carbs all together , you will have to see what works for you to get the scale moving again.

On a personal note, I have to stay away from sugar/ bread and other refined carbs, they drive my hunger through the roof and derail my diet, not to mention make me irritable..

37 minutes ago, up4challenge said:

I am 11 months post-op and I feel hungry every half hour. I don't want to eat and gain weight, but not eating anything only makes it worse. I get angry, feel tired and uninterested in doing anything. I'm scared what if my sleeve expands most of the time and end up staring at the ceiling most of the time, as I took a loan on my credit card to pay for the surgery. I take my meds on time. I take a Protein Shake every day, but this hunger generally starts during the second half of the day and gets worst from 6 p.m. onwards. I cannot take Water still. I can take 2-3 sips at a time, then 2-3 more sips after half hour, but food (veggies, fruits, bread) is okay to consume.

My starting weight was 251 pounds, on the day of surgery I was 240 pounds and in 11 months now I am 180 pounds and my goal weight is 155 pounds. I don't eat junk food....no burger, no fries (I do eat potato once a week fried in an air fryer or popcorn made again in air fryer), no soda, 1-2 tablespoons of sugar on a daily basis (in my glass of tea and coffee, which I take in the morning and evening), nothing more.

The quantity of food intake has increased compared to what I used to eat two months ago, to what I eat this month. And to make things worst I noticed today that I've gained 2.2 pounds (1 kg) since last week. I tell myself not to worry but I am freaking out. Please advise what should I do. Any suggestion is appreciated.

How much Water are you getting in per day? What does an entire day of meals look like for you?

@Nessy76 @jenn1 : My routine on a daily basis is as follows:

1) I start my day with a cup of milk tea (about 275ml tea with 1 spoon of sugar) at 9 a.m. and I take close to 3 hours to finish that. I do not and cannot eat anything until the tea is finished as I am full.

2) About 12.30 p.m. I eat lunch which includes about 1/4 chicken breast + 1 egg.

3) Around 3.30 p.m. I consume a glass of coffee / Water depending on how I feel to take in my meds (about 275 ml water/coffee+1 spoon sugar).

4) Around 5.30 p.m. I mix Protein Shake (I take GNC chocolate flavor) which I take about an hour or some days 1.5 hours to finish).

5) About 7.30 p.m. when I feel hungry I much on 5-10 nuts (peanut/fox nut/almond/walnut) or orange/apple/grapes.

6) Around 8.30 p.m. I try to take half a glass of water which turns out to be nothing more than 2-3 sips of water.

7) At 9.30 p.m. I eat my dinner, which includes lentils/beans and 1/4 or 1/2 chicken breast or 2 pieces of salmon slices (air fried) along with one fruit like banana/orange/4-5 slices of papaya or 4-5 slices of watermelon or some days 3-5 spoons of rice with yoghurt or 1/2 slice of bread with butter (I do not like butter or anything sweet or chocolatey) or some days 1/2 cup Pasta about 10 small pieces of macaroni (no cheese/butter with onions, pepper, tomatoes).

8) About 11.00 p.m I take one more glass water and take in the meds. I go to sleep by 12.30 or 1.30 a.m., as I have to work until then.

I do a lot of cooking/cleaning in the house in between work (as I am a freelancer and log in from home) and I routinely work out on the elliptical every day twenty minutes in the morning and evening. If I do not have many tasks then I take a walk in the night after dinner for about forty minutes (which is about 1-2 times a week).

Once every 2 weeks, I eat about 50 - 100 gms of popcorn and once a week I eat corn on the cob (boiled with a little salt, no butter). At times (during the last 11 months) I had 1/4 snickers bar and 1/4 slice pizza after 6 months post-op. I cut potatoes in the shape of french fries (about 5-6 pieces of them) and air fry them and consume them 1-2 times a week.

Please note I am an extreme case of PCOS. Before my surgery, I had my periods for 9 continuous months and then 3 months of nothing, which made me take the decision of doing this surgery. Even now my periods are not great. I have them one month of 10 days, nothing for 2 months, then about 2 days flow, then nothing again for a month, then an outburst every 15 days. My gynaecologist says things will get better and I am still waiting and hoping.

Edited by up4challenge

I am 6 months out and going through the same struggle. Even though I don't eat alot at one sitting, I am noticing I graze and pick all day long. I started at 266 and I am at 189, and haven't lost anything in a month, I have been exercising 6 times a week and I feel like I am stuck. I did start logging all my food etc on a bariatric app and also on the Atkins app to see what I am doing right/wrong. It has helped. Any advice from people who have hit walls will help!

1 hour ago, up4challenge said:

feel hungry every half hour - not eating anything makes it worse. get angry, feel tired

@up4challenge

you are at low BMI, (33) this does make a difference

in how quickly you will lose weight. this is not a race,

don't compare yourself to OP here that lose at a

faster/different rate of time.

it looks to me that you aren't eating any food!! don't be

scared to eat, of course you are hungry. no food/no

energy!!:wacko:

MUST up your calories!! eat more food. this probably

sounds strange to some newbies - but it's a proven

fact that OP have said.

i'm sorry you are still having problems drinking

your Water. You must must force yourself

to drink moire fluids. (easier said than done)

sometimes drink water at room temp works for some

OP. try it. other liquids like crystal lite are good.

"they" say you can go without food for awhile,

(if you must-but of course that's not good to do)

BUT you can't go without water!!

you have lost 11 LBS pre-op - 60 lbs post op - that

is a great amount of weight - butttt please eat and

drink more. (especially the drinking)

take care

kathy

@proudgrammy : Thank you for the encouraging response. I will try and add more Water starting today to my regular schedule. Any suggestions as to what foods to include in my daily diet?

I still have bad days with severe Constipation and I will try my best to drink more water.

Are you still taking your proton pump inhibitors?

@littlelizzielilliput: I take Biotin, collagen, Vitamins tablets (3 tablets after lunch and 3 after dinner) and days that I don't feel like eating lunch or skip lunch which is like once in a month, I make sure I take Nexpro 40 (gas tablet) half hour before my dinner.

2 minutes ago, up4challenge said:

will try and add more Water

@up4challenge

"do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

glad you will push the fluids.

food suggestions? you MUST have

protein. ie eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese,

other cheese too.

protein bars are quick energy too (QNC - 20

gr. protein) fish, chicken - meat in general

have plenty of Protein, almonds (nuts)

plenty of foods mentioned by OP here.

also recipes to follow.

sending good vibrations your way.:rolleyes:

eating and drinking to your health.

kathy

1 hour ago, up4challenge said:

@Nessy76 @jenn1 : My routine on a daily basis is as follows:

1) I start my day with a cup of milk tea (about 275ml tea with 1 spoon of sugar) at 9 a.m. and I take close to 3 hours to finish that. I do not and cannot eat anything until the tea is finished as I am full.

2) About 12.30 p.m. I eat lunch which includes about 1/4 chicken breast + 1 egg.

3) Around 3.30 p.m. I consume a glass of coffee / Water depending on how I feel to take in my meds (about 275 ml water/coffee+1 spoon sugar).

4) Around 5.30 p.m. I mix Protein Shake (I take GNC chocolate flavor) which I take about an hour or some days 1.5 hours to finish).

5) About 7.30 p.m. when I feel hungry I much on 5-10 nuts (peanut/fox nut/almond/walnut) or orange/apple/grapes.

6) Around 8.30 p.m. I try to take half a glass of Water which turns out to be nothing more than 2-3 sips of water.

7) At 9.30 p.m. I eat my dinner, which includes lentils/beans and 1/4 or 1/2 chicken breast or 2 pieces of salmon slices (air fried) along with one fruit like banana/orange/4-5 slices of papaya or 4-5 slices of watermelon or some days 3-5 spoons of rice with yoghurt or 1/2 slice of bread with butter (I do not like butter or anything sweet or chocolatey) or some days 1/2 cup Pasta about 10 small pieces of macaroni (no cheese/butter with onions, pepper, tomatoes).

8) About 11.00 p.m I take one more glass water and take in the meds. I go to sleep by 12.30 or 1.30 a.m., as I have to work until then.

I do a lot of cooking/cleaning in the house in between work (as I am a freelancer and log in from home) and I routinely work out on the elliptical every day twenty minutes in the morning and evening. If I do not have many tasks then I take a walk in the night after dinner for about forty minutes (which is about 1-2 times a week).

Once every 2 weeks, I eat about 50 - 100 gms of popcorn and once a week I eat corn on the cob (boiled with a little salt, no butter). At times (during the last 11 months) I had 1/4 snickers bar and 1/4 slice pizza after 6 months post-op. I cut potatoes in the shape of french fries (about 5-6 pieces of them) and air fry them and consume them 1-2 times a week.

Please note I am an extreme case of PCOS. Before my surgery, I had my periods for 9 continuous months and then 3 months of nothing, which made me take the decision of doing this surgery. Even now my periods are not great. I have them one month of 10 days, nothing for 2 months, then about 2 days flow, then nothing again for a month, then an outburst every 15 days. My gynaecologist says things will get better and I am still waiting and hoping.

Water is important. Keep a sports bottle of water to sip on throughout the day. I use crystal light for taste. Hydrate, hydrate,hydrate.

Things that may help with hunger -

• Don't skip meals. Break them into 6 small meals if it helps
  • Give yourself variety of healthy meals. Nutrition should still be flavorful. Try new food and recipies
  • Add vegetables. The bulk and fiber will help keep you satisfied
  • as you get further out from surgery you can hold more food volume. Might help to increases your Protein goal.

It's better to log your food than to guess what your calorie and macronutrients. It pays off.

I entered Your daily example into myfitnesspal. (this is an estimate) I can only guess what 1/4th a chicken breast is. It depends on the size of the breast. I did not add the popcorn candy and pizza to this example.

CALORIE TOTAL 1001 - PROTEIN 104 - CARBS 83 - FATS 32

BREAKFAST 18 calories (breakfast gives you energy to start the day. skipping it might be causing hunger)

Tea milk and 1 sugar packet

LUNCH 547 calories

4oz foster farm chicken breast

1 large egg

GNC Protein Shake

Almonds 1oz

coffee - sugar

DINNER 436 calories

unknown amount of lentils/beans (estimated .7 cup of lentils)

4 0z foster farms chicken breasts

one banana - 27 carbs

half slice whole wheat bread - 8g carbs

Instead of 1/4 slice of pizza - Make yourself a no guilt healthy pizza. Grilled ground turkey burger patty , add your sauce veggies pepperoni and cheese.

The photo of the plate is just to give you a visual on portions per meal. My instructions were to add two tablespoons of healthy carbs when I lost 75% of my weight. This is to slow or stop weight loss for maintaining your weight.

download.jpg

I'm almost 11 months out and my NUT says I should be eating at least 1200 calories a day. It seems like you need more actual food in your diet. Also just sip throughout the day. For me personally straws help. I trying and drink 32-40 ounces at work (by sipping all day) and then another 32 ounces when I'm home after work (which is a bit harder. If I'm not eating, I'm drinking all day. I drink usually 32 ounces of unsweetened tea and then 32 ounces of Water.

As for meals I do 3 meals and two Snacks a day. Average about 1200-1300 calories, 80-100 grams of carbs, 90-110 grams of Protein a day. I'm 5'10" currently 190ish pounds and have lost about 115 pounds.

Completely agree with Kathy (proudgrammy). :)

You prob don't drink enough Water because of the type of water. I know it may sound crazy but try CORE or gerber baby water. Im a year post opp on 12/14/17 and I just started drinking CORE water 2 weeks ago... my doctor said I'm suppose to drink atleast 60oz of water a day and for the first time EVER since surgery I am able to drink 60oz of water (2 bottles of core!!!)