Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you celebrate without food?

So I have a milestone birthday in a few days, and everyone is offering to go out and eat. Im almost 11 months post-op, I've reached my goal weight, and I have no interest in eating out. I feel like it is a waste, and to be honest my tastes have changed. My favorite food is an egg with peppers and onions. Eating out has become a little awkward for me. I don't enjoy eating out anymore and that seems to be all anyone wants to do to Celebrate things. Other than food, what do you do to celebrate?

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Movie? One of those wine (optional) and painting places?

Who is going out? Entire family/mixed ages? All girlfriends? Indoor putt putt golf, if ladies - a spa day, ice skating, rent hotel rooms and go see a play in a big city - just have appetizers and wine. Photo shoot. There is no reason to avoid eating out - as long as the birthday girl gets to pick the place - japanese or a fresh food place.

Tapas place might work as well, easier to blend in... but definitely all of the above. It is for you to make the suggestion and find out what works [emoji4] and congratulations [emoji324][emoji322][emoji898]

My husband and I had the same issue for out 25th wedding anniversary this year. Everything seemed to revolve around food. We decided that we would make a date and go and see one of our favourite artists who is playing at a venue we can all go to. If others want to eat they can but we will be in where the music is. It's a bit of a waste of money for me to eat out. I'm only 11 weeks post bypass so I can't eat much and I'm still trying out what works for me. If it has to be food I would pick tapas or dim sum or something you can just have small things.

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app

You could do literally any other thing than eat.

You can also eat, just a smaller amount. If anyone gives you grief about it, tell them this is how you Celebrate now.

Eating is a social activity, so it is reasonable that everyone suggests dinner out to Celebrate. Are there any other social activities you could suggest instead?

what about hosting a game night (card, board games, etc.). You have the communal table and interaction without the food or limited food

I'm sorry you no longer enjoy eating out. I'm 14 months post VSG and eat out frequently (probably 3 times a month). I'm still losing. In fact, we are having Thanksgiving at a hotel - partially so that I don't have to cook and if I only pick at what's on my plate, its no big deal - I'll just take the leftovers back to the room and put them in the fridge there.

I understand tastes changing - mine have too - but I still enjoy a good meal with friends because its about the conversation. So many times i just order an appetizer as my entree.

But since its your birthday, pick something you want to do. Tell them they are free to join you if they like. Go for a hike. See a show, Spa day, movies, all mentioned above are great ideas.

But, for me, I'll be headed out to dinner tonight with my husband and daughter. We're meeting him at a local tavern where his running club will end up after their Monday night run. Usually I'm fencing on Mondays, but I'm nursing a knee back to health so I'm not going tonight. I enjoy getting to know the folks in his running club and since they've just run 5-6 miles, they want to eat and I'm good with that. I'll order what appeals to me. Or if when i look at the menu later, I don't see anything that floats my boat, I'll eat before I go and just have a glass of wine and chat with people.

I actually enjoy eating out more now then I did when I was heavy. Back then I was always the only woman to clear my plate and I would hope so badly one of my thin girlfriends would order desert because it gave me the green light to do it myself.

Now it's so different. I eat the same amount or less than my girlfriends who are all very health focused and can just sit back, sip a glass of wine and enjoy the conversation and company without the food being the center of the event.

As for other options it depends on who is going out. If it's just girlfriends, what about going to get mani's and pedis, having a spa day or going to a play or movie. If it's the whole family what about some sort of activity like mini golf, skating or going out for Tapas or drinks only.

These are all great ideas! I'm not sure what tapas are, but I found a place that does a brunch, hike, and wine tasting.

These are all great ideas! I'm not sure what tapas are, but I found a place that does a brunch, hike, and wine tasting.

tapas are different foods on small plates. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, Maggie_ said:

Tapas is generally small appetizer sized dishes of savory food. The origins are Spanish but they do all kinds of Tapas now. We've actually had two restaurants open here recently that do just Tapas and drinks, they don't do full sized meals.