Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else feeling completely drained?

Hey all--

My surgery date was 10/10, so I am more than three weeks post-op. I have been progressing very well, except that I am feeling completely drained. Not tired, but just lacking any energy. I know I have to "give it time" because I just had major surgery, but I stayed home doing nothing for three weeks healing up, and even though I wasn't doing much--zero energy.

One thing I haven't seen is anyone talking about severe caloric restriction and its impact on how post-surgery patients feel. Like I said, doing great, lost 25 pounds so far, and expect (hope) to lose another fifty. But I am not taking in more than 500-600 calories a day. My NUT says that even when I am totally healed up the max will be 900-1000.

That's a starvation diet, really. I mean, I don't feel starving at all, just...no energy!

Anyone experience this and get over it in time, or as you ate more? I'm hopeful.

You can call me "Low Energy Leslie"

Try and drag yourself out for a little walk. It may actually give you a boost. If not, well, at least you tried.

Don't worry about the low calories too much quite yet. Protein and fluid goals are key. Hopefully you won't be on 1000 calories forever (a few people need to be, so it depends on your metabolism).

I was really breathless for walks for about the first month. At 3 months I finally felt back to normal.

Hopefully something will give you some oomph.

6 minutes ago, Leslie41 said:

Hey all--

My surgery date was 10/10, so I am more than three weeks post-op. I have been progressing very well, except that I am feeling completely drained. Not tired, but just lacking any energy. I know I have to "give it time" because I just had major surgery, but I stayed home doing nothing for three weeks healing up, and even though I wasn't doing much--zero energy.

One thing I haven't seen is anyone talking about severe caloric restriction and its impact on how post-surgery patients feel. Like I said, doing great, lost 25 pounds so far, and expect (hope) to lose another fifty. But I am not taking in more than 500-600 calories a day.

That's a starvation diet, really. I mean, I don't feel starving at all, just...no energy!

Anyone experience this and get over it in time, or as you ate more? I'm hopeful.

You can call me "Low Energy Leslie"

Energy levels can be low during this process. You will feel better as you progress.

First stages 500-600 is normal. Once you're totally healed from surgery, you will continue in weight loss mode 900-to 1200 . Weight loss mode is not forever.

Call it starvation or call it the reality of bariatric surgery. Calorie restriction is a normal part of this process. Hitting your Protein goal, taking your Vitamins, and hydration will keep you nourished correctly. Your surgeon's office or family Dr. Will do lab work to make sure you are not malnourished or Vitamin deficient.

My personal experience: I became a I'm a distance runner. I can not eat like a bariatric patient during running season. I eat like an athlete. Easy for me to get in 2200 calories to keep me healthy. I lower my calories back down to maintain my weight during off season. I also go back into weight loss bariatric basics to lose when I have a gain.

Reality is anyone can "eat around" bariatric surgery. If you eat small meals all day long or eat bad food choices, You can seriously increase your calorie. You will gain weight.

Hope you feel better soon,

Jenn

Thanks...it feels good to know this is not forever! I don't want to gain back any weight and would just adjust to the low-energy thing if I had to, but I'm glad this is going to end...someday!

I am getting in my Protein and I get out every day (sometimes a couple of times) but the thought of any real aerobic exercise makes me feel faint just thinking about it!

1 minute ago, Leslie41 said:

Thanks...it feels good to know this is not forever! I don't want to gain back any weight and would just adjust to the low-energy thing if I had to, but I'm glad this is going to end...someday!

I am getting in my Protein and I get out every day (sometimes a couple of times) but the thought of any real aerobic exercise makes me feel faint just thinking about it!

You are only a little over three weeks out. Try to be gentle on yourself. Only look at what you are doing for yourself in each 24 hour period. It is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out that will make you successful in this.

The day after surgery I was told to walk. It will help the healing process. No aerobics! lol ... When you are released to exercise, Start slow and build up.

Congrats on your weight loss.

A couple little walks a day are just fine. In another month you can worry about starting to build up (if you are ready at that point).

Yep. I'm a month out and I still feel drained. Some days are worse than others. I feel okay, just run down and I really think it's due to the low amount of calories.

My surgery was on 10/11. I have little energy. I took 5 days off, then worked from home for a week, then back to the office. I'm an accountant so just sit at a computer all day. But still am ready to take a nap when I get home. I try to get out for a walk most evenings. But some evenings I just can't. I'm struggling to get enough Water and calories every day. I just can eat so little at this point. It's hard for me to believe a person can live on only 300-400 calories a day. That's all I can get in right now. I sometime force myself to stay up so I can drink more water. I wish I could fast forward a few months. I know it will get better!

So glad you brought this up! I thought it was just me and maybe I was messing up or something. My surgery date was 10/17, so just a little over 2 weeks ago and add Fibro, Chronic pain and Chronic fatigue to the mix. At my 1st check-up with my Dr I took in copies of required blood pressure readings and I was running around 80/55 most days. Told him I felt like I was trying to run on "E81 fuel" and I was used to premium. I'm off my blood pressure meds already , doing better there with a bit more energy but still filling wiped out by the middle of most days.