Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Stall, Frustrated

Hi Friends.

I was sleeved June 12. Overall I have done really well. Better than I expected actually. I'm down 103-105 pounds since I started the presurgery diet May 22. For awhile there I was losing about 25 pounds a month. I was able to get under the 100 pound threshhold for my birthday, and I was so happy/proud.

But for the past month, I have been in a big league stall. I've lost maybe two or three pounds during that month. I'm still exercising moderately (walking on the treadmill every day, and swimming when I can). I'm not gaining, but I'm not able to lose more than a couple pounds before I retrace for a day or three. I also feel like recently, the restriction of the sleeve is wearing off already- I'm able to eat what seems like a great bit more than I used to. I'm really starting to wonder if this is just a longer stall, or if this might be "it". I realize everyone's "honeymoon" period ends at different times, but I thought mine would last more than 4 months.

I think I realize the culprit- my daily 1/2 cup of Cream of Wheat (with Protein powder) every week day. I really love it and it helps me to start my teaching day with a full head of steam and a full brain, but I realize that these are carbs that I'm going to have to cut out if I want to resume my weight losing ways. But I was also having this during the previous two months, and I was still able to keep up my 25 pounds a month pace. 9 of 10 of you are going to respond, duh, stop that dummy. I'm slowly coming to terms with it.

I am not really doing a low carb diet, but I'm also not going hog wild with them. I eat things like a cup of split pea Soup for lunch, or some days instead I have a small wrap with turkey lunch meat or tuna salad. The wrapper I use is Joseph's Flax Seed roll (very low carbs, and very small, 50 calories). There have been a few times I've had some popcorn as a treat. Once or twice a week I will have some hummus with celery or a carrot. I'm guessing most days I'm at about 1200 calories.

I find I am able to eat more than 4 ounces of food now, probably closer to 7-8 ounces total depending on what I am eating (usually a mix of protein and something like Beans or some veg). This scares me because it seems like the restriction is being lifted a lot sooner than I expected. Is this normal?

Even if I don't lose another pound I'm still very happy I chose this surgery. I feel better and I look better. I'm off all my diabetes meds and my sugar is almost normal. I never would have been able to do this without this assistance. But on the other hand, I figure I'm only about half way where I want to be before the honeymoon is over.

Am I going to have to be militant about this if I want to keep losing at a rapid pace? Or is this it? I was hoping that even though the weight loss would slow down eventually that I would be able to eat a little bit more like I am now, but still lose slowly. Psychologically I am starting to feel like a failure and a great big pig like I used to be.

I realize I have to deal with the consequences of my actions, and now that it's not impossible to overeat anymore I need to have more discipline. But I'm not really sure if I'm overeating or not.

Anyone else here do as well as I did the first few months and then hit the wall like this? Am i overreacting? Should I just keep what I'm doing (maybe sans the Cream of Wheat) and "keep the faith" like my Momma says or am I fooling myself?

Please spare me the militant "tough love" but I look forward to some honest feedback.

Frustrated-

gwbicster

Edited by gwbicster

7 minutes ago, gwbicster said:

Hi Friends.

I was sleeved June 12. Overall I have done really well. Better than I expected actually. I'm down 103-105 pounds since I started the presurgery diet May 22. For awhile there I was losing about 25 pounds a month. I was able to get under the 100 pound threshhold for my birthday, and I was so happy/proud.

But for the past month, I have been in a big league stall. I've lost maybe two or three pounds during that month. I'm still exercising moderately (walking on the treadmill every day, and swimming when I can). I'm not gaining, but I'm not able to lose more than a couple pounds before I retrace for a day or three. I also feel like recently, the restriction of the sleeve is wearing off already- I'm able to eat what seems like a great bit more than I used to. I'm really starting to wonder if this is just a longer stall, or if this might be "it". I realize everyone's "honeymoon" period ends at different times, but I thought mine would last more than 4 months.

I think I realize the culprit- my daily 1/2 cup of Cream of Wheat (with Protein powder) every week day. I really love it and it helps me to start my teaching day with a full head of steam and a full brain, but I realize that these are carbs that I'm going to have to cut out if I want to resume my weight losing ways. But I was also having this during the previous two months, and I was still able to keep up my 25 pounds a month pace. 9 of 10 of you are going to respond, duh, stop that dummy. I'm slowly coming to terms with it.

I am not really doing a low carb diet, but I'm also not going hog wild with them. I eat things like a cup of split pea Soup for lunch, or some days instead I have a small wrap with turkey lunch meat or tuna salad. The wrapper I use is Joseph's Flax Seed roll (very low carbs, and very small, 50 calories). There have been a few times I've had some popcorn as a treat. Once or twice a week I will have some hummus with celery or a carrot. I'm guessing most days I'm at about 1200 calories.

I find I am able to eat more than 4 ounces of food now, probably closer to 7-8 ounces total depending on what I am eating (usually a mix of Protein and something like Beans or some veg). This scares me because it seems like the restriction is being lifted a lot sooner than I expected. Is this normal?

Even if I don't lose another pound I'm still very happy I chose this surgery. I feel better and I look better. I'm off all my diabetes meds and my sugar is almost normal. I never would have been able to do this without this assistance. But on the other hand, I figure I'm only about half way where I want to be before the honeymoon is over.

Am I going to have to be militant about this if I want to keep losing at a rapid pace? Or is this it? I was hoping that even though the weight loss would slow down eventually that I would be able to eat a little bit more like I am now, but still lose slowly. Psychologically I am starting to feel like a failure and a great big pig like I used to be.

I realize I have to deal with the consequences of my actions, and now that it's not impossible to overeat anymore I need to have more discipline. But I'm not really sure if I'm overeating or not.

Anyone else here do as well as I did the first few months and then hit the wall like this? Am i overreacting? Should I just keep what I'm doing (maybe sans the Cream of Wheat) and "keep the faith" like my Momma says or am I fooling myself?

Please spare me the militant "tough love" but I look forward to some honest feedback.

Frustrated-

gwbicster

You are doing great with your weight loss. over 100 down is fantastic. It's normal for weight loss to slow down as you get further out from surgery. A few things to try to break the stall.

Are you logging your food? It's better than guessing your calories and carbs. (myfitnesspal food log app makes it easy)

The amount of food you are able to take in will increase. Try eating protein with as much veggies as you want. The bulk and Fiber will make you feel full. I can eat 4 to 5 oz protein with 8 oz of salad.

Your weight can slow if you are doing the same exercise or same intensity level over and over. HIIT / High intensity interval training works well. Start a pace that you are comfortable for 5 mins. Increase the speed several numbers for 5 mins. Repeat this process for as long as you are on the treadmill. (hope that made sense)

You already know carbs can mess with your weight loss. My dieticians instructions were to add healthy carbs when I lost 75% of my weight to slow or stop my weight loss for maintaining. Your instructions may be different than mine. Follow your dieticians plan.

Salty and sweet cravings happen. Be sure to have healthy options on hand to satisfy cravings.

Example: Salty Jerky or Quest protein chips Sweet yogurt or sugar free pudding with Protein Powder.

I'm having a much better month. I've lost about 6-8 pounds so far this month. A couple things I did- I'm still eating my half cup of cream of wheat on the weekdays (SOOOO hard to give up), but I now eat BEFORE I get on my treadmill instead of after. I don't know if that medically makes a difference or if it's just a coincidence. I also am drinking more fluids and really upped the amount of Protein Powder I supplement foods with.

The scale is moving again and I hope it keeps going!

Wow, your post could've been mine. I literally eat the same thing I've been eating for months, but this past month I feel like I've hit my first big stall--or my sleeve stopped working--or I'm screwing everything up with my piece of whole wheat toast every mornings sans crust. It's a mind game, this surgery, and we knew that going in.

And we still second guess ourselves every second of every day, right?

I'm six months out, and at about five months along, I noticed a big difference in restriction. It's alarming when you're used to eating four ounces that will keep you full for hours, then literally one day, you eat six ounces and not feel the usual signs of fullness. I don't know, it made me a little sad. My favorite thing was this extreme restriction.

But I will say to you, what I know for myself. Why am I not losing? It's most likely not your cream of wheat. You may be slacking in the Protein and Water department and don't even realize it. Even though I know this, I still am guilty. When you hit a stall, up your exercise even just slightly. Drink 90 oz of water per day and eat 70 + grams of protein. This will probably do it. I know it works for me so I'm making myself take my own advice as we speak.

But chin up, you're doing an amazing job!

Yeah, I realized those were why I was deficient. And I did exactly as you suggested. And that's why I'm back on track.

I've been in a stall for almost two months and it's the most frustrating thing ever so I know how you are feeling (though I see your weight loss has been better this month). I've been bouncing between 188-190 since October 2. Which is a 111-113 pound weight loss total and 81-83 since surgery. I hit 185 back in September for 1 day but I think it was my scale dying since it literally died the next time I stepped on it (I weight once a week).

I've been trying to do my usual stall breakers which consist of changing my diet around, changing my exercise and increasing Protein and Water but I'm still bouncing right here.

A typical day for me is 1000-1200 calories (per my NUT), 50-70 grams of protein (trying to get that back up to 100 like when I was supplementing), 50-100 carbs depending on the day (my nut wants me eating more veggies which ups my carbs) and cardio 3-4 days a week.

I am still losing inches though as I just went down another pant size.

Wow that's fantastic! Even though we have lost about the same amount of weight, you have lost a much larger percentage of your total weight. I'm really impressed. They also say it's harder for females to lose than men. You've really stuck with it!

I found during my stall that my pants were getting looser- weird! I guess a lot of stuff is shifting around down there....I feel like a human etch-a-sketch!

Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. It's been a journey for sure. My NUT had predicted I would lose 86 pounds total at my initial appointment so I've surpassed that but I really want to hit my surgeons goal because I'm stubborn. Your doing a great job yourself, 109lbs in 5 months is amazing.

I've heard that when your weight loss slows it gives your body time to redistribute fat and allows your skin to rebound some. I think that's what's happening because I feel like my legs and arms have gotten noticeably smaller during the last months while stalled. Now if the scale would just move before I see my surgeon for my 1 year post op follow up.

Wow that's fantastic! Even though we have lost about the same amount of weight, you have lost a much larger percentage of your total weight. I'm really impressed. They also say it's harder for females to lose than men. You've really stuck with it!

I found during my stall that my pants were getting looser- weird! I guess a lot of stuff is shifting around down there....I feel like a human etch-a-sketch!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Human Etch-A-Sketch... lol

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I haven't lost a dang thing in a week! [emoji45] I guess this is the 3 week stall. Rather discouraging to say the least

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

Your doing great. Sometimes your body stalls to catch up from the shock of weightloss. If you can try to resist the urge to have more than ( what ever the amount is on your plan say 4/5 ounce) alot of people can fit in more they just chose not to. Your doing great. I don't count carbs as I'm not required to and it hasn't effected anything. Your Breakfast sounds like it's been working up to now.. it also sounds like deep down you don't want to change it so perhaps try mixing it up in another area of your eating so you can keep your breakfast say cut carbs else we're if you want ?

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app