Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just found out I have sleep apnea and can't adjust to CPAP Machine

Hi! Its only been a week, my setting is 4 and its the nose pillows not the full mask. Im wondering if Im having trouble cause I normally sleep with my mouth open. I really can't go to sleep with it on. After weight loss surgery, will I have a chance of been cured from sleep apnea? do you actually sleep better with it?

i’m a rt and i use cpap! they could increase the ramp so it stays at lower level until u fall asleep! also they have chin straps for mouth breathers! get someone to tim how long it takes u to fall asleep and that’s what your ramp should be pls 5-10 min!

I use a mask and love it - I change from a full face to Amira View depending on wether I have hay fever or feel like it.
I have lost 40kg and have around 50 more to go before I can be reassessed

I hope the full face mask is helping. I had those same issues with the nasal only masks. I'm happy with my full face mask.
I use the tv or iPod to provide some white noise to help me fall asleep instead of obsessing about the noise my breathing makes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/31/2017 at 1:33 PM, LiciKitty said:

Your surgeon may want you on this machine for multiple reasons, the main one being that if you are unable to rest, you will be unable to heal properly. If you have untreated sleep apnea your surgeon may very well refuse to operate. I have been using my BiPap for over a year and it is 100% worth it. I sleep with my mouth open and so I use the full mask. Your mask affects how well you sleep even more so than the pressure (at least thats how I view it).

My mask sits just under my nose so I don't have this weird pressure on the bridge of my nose. I use the Amana (or amara, can't remember) View Mask. You may want to ask about a BiPap instead of a CPap as well.

Hi, can you tell me what the difference in a BiPap and CPap? Thanks

A cpap provide one consistent and continuous flow of air. One pressure the entire time.

a bipap provides two alternating but continuous flows of air. One pressure for inhalation another for exhaling.

From what I understand few people get a Bipap machine because it is for SEVERE apnea and very expensive for insurance companies. I had to do 2 separate studies to get approved for my bipap. My therapist pushed hard for it because according to him he wasn’t sure how I wasn’t dead yet since I stopped breathing on average every 2 minutes. My airway is also very very tiny so I guess I need the extra help. I’m one of those that my therapist thinks will never (regardless of weight) stop needing my machine.

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I'm having so much trouble with this machine also. It's not just the constant air blowing in my face, but the sound as well. It's not loud by any means, just a hum, but I've always needed complete silence and darkness to fall asleep.

The nurse told me that the doctor and especially the anesthesiologist would not perform the surgery if you haven't been wearing it for at least a month as you may be overly tired and it would complicate surgery. So, hopefully I can break this 49 year practice of mine!

Edited by Tess530
Misspelling

7 minutes ago, Tess530 said:

It's not just the constant air blowing in my face, but the sound as well. It's not loud by any means, just a hum, but I've always needed complete silence and darkness to fall asleep.

If you have a smartphone, install one of the sleeping sounds apps or a white noise app. It really does work.

20 minutes ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

If you have a smartphone, install one of the sleeping sounds apps or a white noise app. It really does work.

Thanks! I'll try tonight

I got my cpap Tuesday and i can't use it because the mask breaks my face out. It's the Amana or whatever mask that sits under my nose and over my mouth. I have been trying to call my sleep center but I haven't had my calls returned yet. Has anyone had this problem or know what it might be?

Is the mask fitting properly? It can't be too tight nor loose. If it's fine, I would suggest a smaller mask. The place where you got the appliance will be able to help you getting a different mask also. Until then you can cut up a t-shirt or something like that that's soft and line the silicone edges to reduce irritation. And, of course, make sure everything stays super clean.

I was started on CPAP 4 months before surgery. Switch from nasal pillow to nose mask due to air leaks. Mask fit better. Been out of surgery for almost 3 weeks and I see my pressures coming down. My pulmonologist thinks he might discontinue in in about 2 months. Hang in there it takes time to get used to it. BTW. My energy level never changed much.

3 hours ago, Tess530 said:

and line the silicone edges to reduce irritation. And, of course, make sure everything stays super clean.

And wear it around the house in the daytime to really get used to having it on. Don't leave it until bedtime to start the familiarisation/acclimatisation process.

Hi Comtngirl! I am using Kaiser Atlanta. I just started the process. Ignore my profile that says I had the surgery in 4/17.....I am anticipating it will be 4/18. I was tested and given the cpap through Kaiser. I have tried several masks, the nose pillow did not work for me. I also have the one that does not cover the bridge of my nose and I love it. I sleep so much better now. Through an app called Myair the therapist can track my sleep success. I had trouble at first but she upped the air pressure and now it is great. Good Luck

Its funny but I just got a full mask in the mail - therapist thought it might work better since I sleep with my mouth open...so I'll try that!!! The smell is so plasticy - hopefully washing it will get rid of that smell...
I am anxiously waiting for the next step...I did the mental prof appt and did the sleep apnea thing - I guess what's next are classes - I just sent another email about setting up the classes...the waiting is tough...I'm assuming it won't be done until next year [emoji20] I'm using Kaiser in Denver - anyone else on here used Kaiser for their weight loss surgery???? Thanks for all your great comments!!!!

Oh and what's the difference from CPap to BiPap - KP is only offering the Cpap

Hi I’m also using Kaiser Denver. I started in April. I had to get an okay from my cardiologist and that took months. I started classes in September and my surgery is scheduled for November 27th. I had to makeup one class so that set me back about 2 weeks. Good luck. I thought the waiting was hard too