Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCP discouragement

First of all, my PCP is terrific. She's been amazing for myself and for my mom, who I am a caretaker of. We've been blessed over and over again by the level of her care.

But......I've been moving forward to VSG in Mexico. I do not have other health issues to speak of, so have not really involved my PCP in this decision. I did mention 2 months ago that I was thinking of it, and she told me she is not against it, that she had even considered it for her own mom. She did speak of the challenges and cautioned me, particularly emotionally since I have dealt with depression. And I understand that.

Since I am now ready to schedule my surgery I wanted to let her know and make sure she would do my aftercare. I called and left a message and her nurse called back with dire warnings of the dangers and a very strong "Dr.O does NOT advise this". She wants to see me if I decide to go ahead and I dread it terrible because I know she will try to talk me out of it.

This will not stop me, but I feel discouraged about it today.

Can anyone speak to this?

That is a good point. I know the nurse said she had no idea how Mexico did things as far as preparations....psych eval, nutrition, etc. Maybe that is more of the concern, though it sounded like the whole idea as bad. That is something I need to clear up. Maybe I am overreacting too soon. I just need to face her and ask her to explain. She's a dear, but she strongly opinionated, and I'm not very good at dealing with that. But I can and I will!

You should go talk to her and listen to her concerns. Ultimately, it's your decision, but she knows you well and may have some valid reasons she thinks it's not for you or that you shouldn't go to Mexico to have it done. I am not trying to discourage you at all - it's a wonderful tool, but this way of life can be mentally challenging some days.

I would definitely ask if it is because of you going to mexico. Here you have a full cardiologist check, another dr (besides your pcp), i had to go for a sleep study to prove I no longer have sleep apnea, a mental heath eval, see the surgeon and the Nutritionist. Only after that could they submit it to the insurance. Lots of appointments. That may be her concern. In order for me to qualify, I need to keep going to my psych and counselor. I would talk to her. In the end it is your decision. Good luck

SW:350 (11/2015)
BSW:260 (10/17/17)
CW:250 (officially down by 100 lbs. since the start of my journey!)
GW:175

I have found the PCPs sometimes are not up to date on education regarding bariatric surgery and even bariatric issues. Our program has a training class that PCPs in the area can take to be better informed.

My PCP was not against my surgery but she wasn't 100% for it. She signed off on it but she kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to go the surgical route and offered to put me on a structured diet a few time. On the other hand my OBGYN was ecstatic about it and couldn't stop singing the praises of bariatric surgery.

I have found the PCPs sometimes are not up to date on education regarding bariatric surgery and even bariatric issues. Our program has a training class that PCPs in the area can take to be better informed.

My PCP was not against my surgery but she wasn't 100% for it. She signed off on it but she kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to go the surgical route and offered to put me on a structured diet a few time. On the other hand my OBGYN was ecstatic about it and couldn't stop singing the praises of bariatric surgery.

It's interesting that they might not be up to date. I wonder if it just is not common enough for it to warrant their attention? I do know they cover many issues as general practitioners, so I am not being critical. I feel like my Dr will be willing to learn.....at least I'm really hoping so!

Edited by NanaB73

2 hours ago, Sullie06 said:
17 hours ago, kandywolf said:

I would definitely ask if it is because of you going to Mexico. Here you have a full cardiologist check, another dr (besides your pcp), i had to go for a sleep study to prove I no longer have sleep apnea, a mental heath eval, see the surgeon and the Nutritionist. Only after that could they submit it to the insurance. Lots of appointments. That may be her concern. In order for me to qualify, I need to keep going to my psych and counselor. I would talk to her. In the end it is your decision. Good luck

SW:350 (11/2015)
BSW:260 (10/17/17)
CW:250 (officially down by 100 lbs. since the start of my journey!)
GW:175

I don't take that as discouragement. I appreciate the input and I do need to look at every aspect. Thank you!

15 hours ago, NanaB73 said:

It's interesting that they might not be up to date. I wonder if it just is not common enough for it to warrant their attention? I do know they cover many issues as general practitioners, so I am not being critical. I feel like my Dr will be willing to learn.....at least I'm really hoping so!

I'm sure a lot of factors contribute and every doctor is different in education and experience. We had a conversation about it in our local support group because people were coming into the program and having issues with their PCPs in some form or another. They did find that the vast majority of the PCPs who attended the education seminar the bariatric program provided are working much better with the clinic now so my bet is they are willing