Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need opinions here. I am on my 9th day of my preop diet. I have done well except for a binge the evening of day 6. I ate 2 corn dogs. I really want to do well on the preop diet to shrink my liver, etc. Here's the deal. I LOVE CHINESE FOOD!!!! I really want to have one last meal of chinese food. I understand that with my band there is a chance that I will not be able to tolerate rice. How much damage would I do to go eat chinese food tonight?? Will it add taht much fat to my liver, or do I need to just "put on my big girl panties" and follow the diet like I am supposed to. What do yall think???? My band date is October 24 (Wednesday)

Well, what are the specifics of your pre-op diet? Could you meet somewhere in the middle, and maybe make your own healthier chinese food while still adhering to your pre-op diet guidelines?

(BTW, no problems with rice here. I choose not to eat it, but I can, and I think most people I've talked to are the same way... as long as they're careful...)

Especially before you first fill, you'll likely be able to eat everything you ate pre-band again. Don't fall into the 'last meal syndrome'. It's not true!! You're not going to never eat these foods again. My DH orders chinese take out once a week just about. I can't eat a whole lot of it, but I enjoy fried rice, and beef & broccoli (my fav!!). I eat about 1/2c total of these, and I mix it together. And it's yummy and satisfying.

Follow your diet. Period. This will pass! It's going to be rough post-op too while you're healing. Get into good habits of saying NO now.

I had a KILLER craving for birthday cake ice cream from bruster's creamery down the road (less than 1 mile!) I hate that they are so close. I started fantasizing about it.. oy. I have told myself no more of that again, it's 450 calories per serving!! I don't even want to think about that, because 1 serving is so small. Anyway, I was thinking about running down there, just for 1 scoop. And then I remembered something I heard a while ago (when trying to stop smoking) when you crave something, the brain stops craving it after.. 15 minutes I think? Might even be 5 minutes.

So I didn't go get ice cream, I said I'll watch the rest of my tv show and if I still crave it, I'll see about going then. By the end of the show, I'd forgotten about it.. and the next day I remembered and was proud I didn't do it! (I would have kicked myself all week if I had!). But it does pass, and life goes on.

My preop diet is 2 weeks of Myoplex shakes 3 times a day, and only Clear Liquids in between. That's encouraging about the rice. I know its not a good weight loss choice, but I hope I will be able to eat chinese on occasion and in moderation once I am banded

Im not sure if this is going to help you or not, but doing the pre-op diet was really tough for me. I stuck to it best I can, somtimes I succeeded and other times not so good. I am now 7 days out and still a little sore. I am on the Post-op diet and sames as the first, I am doing the best I can, sometimes good sometimes bad. I have heard of a lot of people complaining about things they cant eat or tolerate. I'm not sure if I have felt the same things. I have "snuck" in a little food that I am not suppose to, but I haven't had any bad consequences. I do find that I get full right away and that the amount that I am consuming is really minimal. For instance today is my first day on "mushies" but last night we went out for dinner and I ordered a gound beef patty and some mashed potatoes (the beef patty was a no no) :hungry: I ended up eating maybe 1/4 of the patty and maybe 2 tablespoons of the potatoes and I was like, ok im done, even though I was like I want more!! But nothing has really hurt me yet, but I do get that really full feeling right away. I am also terribly scared of throwing up or having anything like that happen, so I chew, chew, chew to make sure it all goes down really good. I think that its just a matter of you figuring out for yourself what you can and can not tolerate. I hope it all goes well for you!!

I need opinions here. I am on my 9th day of my preop diet. I have done well except for a binge the evening of day 6. I ate 2 corn dogs. I really want to do well on the preop diet to shrink my liver, etc. Here's the deal. I LOVE CHINESE FOOD!!!! I really want to have one last meal of chinese food. I understand that with my band there is a chance that I will not be able to tolerate rice. How much damage would I do to go eat chinese food tonight?? Will it add taht much fat to my liver, or do I need to just "put on my big girl panties" and follow the diet like I am supposed to. What do yall think???? My band date is October 24 (Wednesday)

Renewedhope - I can't tell you to go against dr's orders - it's funny how they all differ - some with long pre-op - some with medium- some have none. You are going to have to do what you think best - But I can tell you i can eat rice and i do eat rice 1/2 cup at dinner - i am not at my sweet spot - but do have some restriction.

Ok, it no chinese food for me tonight. I am over half way there on this liquid diet thing. It is VERY encouraging to know that yall still eat rice. I have been telling myself for 2 days that if I didn't eat Chinese before surgery I wouldn't ever be able to eat it again. Thaniks so much for the advise and support. Without it I cetainly would have conviced myself to eat out tonight. Thanks again.

Be strong, and stay with your pre-op diet. The day before my surgery, (day 10 of my liquid pre-op diet) I went to my nephew's birthday party, where they had 10 large pizzas and then cake and ice cream. I had a Protein Shake. Period.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! And it's not likely that you'll never be able to have chinese food again, just not for awhile.

Oh, and after surgery, FOLLOW YOUR POST-OP diet instructions as well, they are just as important as the pre-op diet, if not more so. Don't eat solid food before your surgeon says that it's ok to. Patience!!!

((((((((hugs)))))))) YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Ok, it no chinese food for me tonight. I am over half way there on this liquid diet thing. It is VERY encouraging to know that yall still eat rice. I have been telling myself for 2 days that if I didn't eat Chinese before surgery I wouldn't ever be able to eat it again. Thaniks so much for the advise and support. Without it I cetainly would have conviced myself to eat out tonight. Thanks again.

Renewed - I have had shrimp & snow peas since being banded, Had el pollo loco for luch to day chicken Beans & steamed veggies I eat mexican food tacos & enchillada - shrimp cheviec tosatda - I don't eat out too often though cuz it's just so high in calories (i count calories & protein) - but when i have gone to mex rest - ate taco only and brought the enchillda & beans home for dinner.... Speaking of ... I haven't had any - it almost 8:30 - talk to you later...

Ok, you are making me really hungry now!! LOL Thank yall. I managed to survive the night without any chinese food, and if I had eaten chinese I would be beating myself up. Instead I am celebrating my first NSV. Thanks again

Renewedhope,

While it was rough I did not cheat once on my preop diet. Thay being said, the doc said there was still some fat on my liver. While I lost 11 pounds and didnt eat a darned thing I wasnt supposed to, a little was still there. BUT he did say that my liver was easy to retract so the overall gaol was accomplished. SO, I say try try try not to cheat bc you never know what the doc is gonna find...LOL I wouldn't have wanted him to think I didnt follow his orders and all since this is a LONG term relationship with my surgeon. HANG IN THERE!! You can do this!:clap2:

My pre-op diet was one day...ONE...but I still never thought to have Chinese food before that. Aaaaack! I looove chinese! I'm Filipino, too, and rice is an everyday, at least twice a day, food item. I've given it up before for months, but the idea of not being able to tolerate it, and therefore not having the option to eat it, is kind of a harsh reality...:think

I say wait til you're allowed to eat solids and have your chinese in moderation. We can't deprive ourselves of everything. There's a thread about a LB patient who has a small Breakfast from McDonald's everyday and ice cream every night...he's lost 110 lbs and continues to lose rapidly. Not the smartest move, but just as an example...

weight.png